The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 27, 2005, 07:50 PM   #1
doubleaes2

Supressed Camp Carbine

I have been wanting to get a supressed firearm for quite a while. I have recently acquired a Marlin Camp Carbine in 45acp. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this rifle? I'm thinking something along the lines of this:

http://www.srtarms.com/camp.htm

Thanks in advance.
Old December 29, 2005, 06:30 PM   #2
The British Soldier

The quietest .45 calibre carbine ever made was the De Lisle, which is built on a Lee Enfield Action and uses M1911A1 magazines. When you fire it you only hear the click of the firing pin and feel slight recoil; it was designed in WW2 for use by Special Operations Executive Jedburgh Teams to kill enemy sentries.

I think this semi-automatic weapon might be somewhat noisier - the sound of the breech cycling will defeat the object.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old December 29, 2005, 11:06 PM   #3
doubleaes2

Thanks for the input. I know this gun will be louder than the DeLisle, but it should be pretty darn quiet. I'd like to figure out a way to lock the bolt in place when I want to be even quieter. And the sound of the bolt moving should sound nothing like that of the weapon being fired.
Old December 30, 2005, 02:42 PM   #4
The British Soldier

I have heard of putting a piece of felt on the face of the bolt to soften the closure sound - never tried it though [it could be one of those Hollywood 'facts'].

I cast my mind back to those Smith & Wesson 9mm M59s that SEALs used in Vietnam to shoot sentries, dogs, etc; the slide had a locking bar that the user could rotate up to engage the slide and stop it from moving. Thus the shot would be quiet and only hammer noise would occur. Why not try a variation of that theme and investigate a mechanical locking device that positively locks the bolt forward; it would absorb the recoil forces so it would need to be over-engineered.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old December 30, 2005, 04:17 PM   #5
doubleaes2

That is what I was thinking of, but I could not remember which weapon originally had that feature. It shouldn't be too hard, as the Marlin uses a straight blowback action.
Old December 31, 2005, 12:45 AM   #6
MGRacer

The SRT suppressed Camp Carbines in 45 are very nice. Here are a couple of pictures of my Camp Carbine. The gun is quiet and really fun to shoot. Doug (at SRT Arms) is a nice guy. The first picture is with the original wood stock and the second is with a folding stock. The 45 Marlin Camp Carbine uses Colt magazines. One thing that you should think about is replacing the recoil spring with a heavier recoil spring to decrease the bolt openning speed. I replaced the stock 11 lb recoil spring with a 21 lb Wolff spring and it has reduced the ejection port sound (not objectionable, but you get it on any suppressed semi auto) plus it is probably kinder to the receiver and stock. The suppressor itself is quite quiet perhaps in the same sound range as a .22 lr muzzle suppressed pistol although I think the duration of the sound is a greater in the Camp 45.

Old December 31, 2005, 07:11 AM   #7
The British Soldier

Looking at the great imagery of the previous post; one 'thinking aloud' possibility is to retain the cocking handle by a lever. I'm unfamiliar with this weapon and unsure whether this is enough material there to withstand a .45 recoil - what do you think?

Rudyard Kipling.
Old December 31, 2005, 11:47 PM   #8
MGRacer

The sound from the ejection port is really only noticable to the shooter since your head and ear is right there. The shooter can also hear the bolt hit the buffer on the Camp Carbine and I am sure that an observer would not hear that. To an observer 30 feet or more away, I do not think you would be able to hear the ejection port noise either. The overall sound suppression performance of modern suppressors that do not use wipes is not improved by holding the bolt closed.
Old January 1, 2006, 07:03 AM   #9
The British Soldier

I really like the look of the folding stock variant; I could think of several useful applications for that little puppy.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old January 27, 2006, 04:06 PM   #10
dtarbox

I have a camp 9 that I was thinking of getting suppressed a while back , now I am thinking about it again.
Old January 29, 2006, 10:11 PM   #11
Legion2600

MGracer -- Did Doug modify that folder?

Yes, i can see some neat "applications" with that folder especially if there was a way to quik detack the barrel/supressor.
Old January 29, 2006, 10:14 PM   #12
Legion2600

BTW: Valkyrie Arms had some DeLisle reproductions made. I believe John Tibbitts made the tubes.

http://www.valkyriearms.com/delisle.htm
Old January 29, 2006, 11:15 PM   #13

One of my buddies bought one of those.
He hasn't got the tax stamp back yet.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old January 30, 2006, 12:12 AM   #14
MGRacer

Quote:
MGracer -- Did Doug modify that folder?
Yes -- he machined it so the tube would fit.