The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 14, 2006, 02:40 PM   #1
kenneth owens

surefire flashlight

just picked up a G2 surefire flashlight this weekend I have never owned one (surefire) is this the right size for the nightstand?? these things are very well made! the only drawback is battery life but I can deal with that. whoops wrong forum sorry guys

Last edited by kenneth owens; November 14, 2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old November 14, 2006, 03:45 PM   #2
stephen426

The G2 is a great light at a great price. You get the same light output as the 6P at about half the price. I would say it is good for the night stand, but it will also seem very bright to you (assuming that your room is normally pitch black). You should get the batteries from Surefire since that is about the cheapest place to find CR 123 batteries. If you get photo batteries, you will end up paying about $6-8 each!

Resist the urge to play with it or else you won't have any juice when you need it the most. You only get about 30 minutes of run time out of a set. I ended up buying a Lumamax (L2) which uses a LED and has dual output. The low output lasts for a long time and is usuable for everyday chores (the G2 and 6P are too bright for most purposes IMHO). The high output on the L2 is too bright for most purposes too (reading maps in the car or reading).

Enjoy your light and be prepared to buy a few more. They're addictive.
Old November 14, 2006, 03:57 PM   #3
kenneth owens

yea,I went ahead and bought some extra surefire brand batteries this little thing is very bright. yes I have had the urge to play with it but just tried it for a few seconds. I am sure this wont be the last one I will buy
Old November 14, 2006, 04:17 PM   #4
WSM MAGNUM

I have an NRA Surefire light. I buy the batteries from Surefire. They are cheap. At $21 a dozen, or $1.75 ea., I play with it all the time and use it for everday use. Even if I had one of those hi-power ones, I`d still play with it.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old November 14, 2006, 06:01 PM   #5
skeeter1

Nope. Count me out. I had a Surefire G2 and tossed it out. Well made? Yes. Expensive to use? Yes. CR123 batteries (even in bulk) aren't cheap, and the proprietary replacement bulb (good for 20 hours) ran around $20.

I replaced the Surefire with a couple of LED flashlights, and I like those much better. The batteries seem to last forever, and the LEDs will likely out last me.

The Surefire was the cat's whiskers when it first came out, but IMHO, it's not any more.
Old November 14, 2006, 08:09 PM   #6
kenneth owens

G2 surefire

yea,the L.E.D lights are all over the place they are pretty nice I have a few of them my self. as for the G2 its now sitting next to my GUNVAULT safe at standby ready to be along side my glock in case we have a late night visitor.
Old November 15, 2006, 12:41 AM   #7
gvf

9p

The 9p, though $79 + another $20 for the higher intenity bulb, I have and I think it's a great bargain. It uses 3 batteries, which last 60 min on the 105 lumen bulb (I think that's the high intensity bulb for the g2) or 20 min with the 200 lumens. I use the lower intensity for all normal flashlight purposes, and the 200 for long car trips for an emergency light (ANYONE will see you signal them from afar if stuck in some rural area at night on the road) or when I'm walking at night, both for incredible visibilility and a self-defense light. For $100 you get a great range of uses, and the 200 lumen bulb would definitely disorient the hell out an attacker. It's like suddenly seeing a headlight right in front of you.
Old November 15, 2006, 01:07 AM   #8
mgdavis

I like my A2. 3 LEDs plus the high-lumen incandecent. Long run time coupled with a nice bright beam when desired. Pricey though.
Old November 20, 2006, 02:11 PM   #9
LoadIt

I have a G2 that I "played with" a few times around the house and had the bulb blow out before it had 10 minutes of total use. I called SureFire to explain what happened and they sent me a new bulb free of charge.
Old November 21, 2006, 12:19 AM   #10
woodland

Spend the little extra and get the rechargable set-up. I have that for mine and it works great. I used it a lot every day for three years before I noticed the battery wasn't quite lasting as long anymore. And I have only changed the lamp once. The rechargable battery will give you about 30 minutes of light. I would just put it on the charger every night when I got home.
Old December 4, 2006, 10:19 AM   #11
black bear 84

I have one of the G 2's in the AK rifle, it had 500 rounds fired thru it, and the bulb is still going strong.
Probably the dampening of vibration by the Nitrolon case have something to do with it.

By the way, I am using the optional P-61 lamp for the 120 lumens

Best regards
black bear
e-mail [email protected]