The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 7, 2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Slyk

High Standard .22 mag derringer

I have an opportunity to pick up a .22 mag derringer- in good shape. My intention is to use this as a back-up gun. I am old enough to remember when these guns were in production, but never bough one. Not sure how much I will actually shoot it but in trying to refresh my memory of the gun I am reading that the .22 mag version would shoot loose over time. I always thought these were pretty overbuilt but wanted to hear from others who would have first-hand knowledge of how durable these guns are.

I appreciate your input
Old August 7, 2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Pahoo

You snooze; you lose ... !!!

Quote:
I am reading that the .22 mag version would shoot loose over time.
I am not aware that these were ever made in a .22LR. I also never heard of being a unreasonably loose. There are still plenty of them out there but you are right in that they don't get shot much.

I can recall when these first came out and were affordable and reasonably priced. Now that I can afford to buy one, they are over-priced. .....

The fella that said; Life is not fair, was right !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old August 7, 2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Unless you just WANT a HS Derringer, I would say stay away from it as a "backup" gun. A Keltec P32 is more powerful, weighs about the same (maybe less!) is almost as thin, is more accurate, is much easier to shoot, and holds 8 shots.
The HS derringer was made in both .22 lr and .22 WRM.
They were innovative for the time-when the GCA-'68 had outlawed importation of small pocket guns.
Old August 7, 2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Ibmikey

The HS rarely was"shot loose" as the magnum was such an unplesant package to fire with it's terrible trigger, stinging of the hand on recoil and sharp noise that they were carried more than shot. I gave mine to a fellow police officer who carried it in his " Tuffy" jacket for years, probably with the same two rounds. Like Bill suggests, a small auto makes a much better BU or CC pistol.
Old August 7, 2015, 09:40 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The H-S double derringer was originally and primarily made in .22 LR. The .22 WMR is obviously more effective, but it is in any event a short range (under 10 feet) defense gun. At longer ranges, they are not accurate and the two shots rarely land in the same place, sometimes being a foot apart at ten yards.

Jim
Old August 8, 2015, 12:36 PM   #6
JohnMoses

I always lay my trigger finger along the barrel(s) and fire the thing with my middle finger. That way you just point your finger and shoot. Hitting a b27 silhouette at 10 yards is no problem with this method. In the 20+ years I've owned it, I doubt if I've fired 2 boxes of 22mag through it and the mainspring broke. Dazzling muzzle flash makes the bg think you launched something big!
Old August 8, 2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Carmady

I just went through a derringer phase. Now I own the ideal number of derringers (for me), zero.

My advice, spend your time and money on something else.

There are MUCH better choices out there, like the LCP and P-32.