The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old April 16, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Live45

Can't understand Midways Shipping strategy

I ordered 100 .45 brass from Midway on the 10th of April. They said I should get it by the 17th. Actually I'll be getting it today, the 16th. That's great but I live 1hr and 30 minutes from Orlando and my order arrived in Orlando just 2 days after it was shipped. It arrived in my town the next morning (the 13th) by 7:57 AM. Then, instead of putting it on the UPS truck for delivery, they sent it to the local Post Office to be delivered today (the 16th). I wonder why they couldn't of just put it in a Priority Mail box (small) for half the price and I could have received it yesterday. I think a lot of these big company's are making money on the shipping and not letting the customer know. OK, my rant's done.

P.S. And yes I know, I should be happy I didn't have to wait for 4 months like from most other online vendors.
Old April 16, 2013, 11:57 AM   #2
vffdoug

I have had the same thing happen with many things I have ordered over the internet in recent months. The item is shipped from company to my local post office by UPS and then delivered to my door by the mailman. I talked to my friends that work for UPS and USPS and they both said this happens more often then you think.

Apparently this reduces the cost for the shipper and for the customer.
Old April 16, 2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Hoosier_Daddy

It is an arrangement USPS and UPS worked out.
Remember the FedEx drop boxes at most larger post offices? USPS and Fedex had a partnership. But now all the FedEx drop boxes are gone and UPS and USPS are now partners.
I guess UPS wants out of home delivery and USPS is trying to increase revenue.
Old April 16, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
rlc323

It is getting more common

Seems like the USPS is becoming the delivery service for the "last mile."

I expect that the shipper gets a good discount for using the two company service, and that is the thing that is driving this.

Customer service sort of gets thrown out when something goes wrong. A recent order of mine from Natchez left their company by DHL on April 4th. DHL got the package to the USPS processing facility in Mo on April 8th. Delivery from day one was scheduled for April 10th, which is six days from the ship date, but not bad. Unfortunately the package sat in Mo for 7 more days. It arrived the 15th of April. 11 days after originally shipped. The package may still be there had I not contacted Nachez who got it moving again on the 14th.

In this case I did have two shipping options $10.00 for DHL/USPS and $19.00 for UPS direct. I may spend the extra money next time for UPS.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
David Bachelder

Yes, companies do profit from shipping charges. After covering costs, cardboard boxes, printer ink, mailing service (like stamps.com), labels, electricity, Post Office Visits, FedEx fees, UPS Fees and time. All of these things cost money, and I'm sure I left a few things out.

At the end of the list a company decides what they will charge for shipping and handeling, note the word handeling. Then theres profit. I'd guess Midway has a very large shipping department and each of those employees draws a wage. The company pays wages and overhaed then pockets what is left over.

What may seem simple to us may be very complicated for a company such as Midway when you handle the volume they do.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
William T. Watts

I'm postal retired and already fought this battle with my mail order Pharmacy!!

The customer is aggravated with the delay, it saves the shipper "Money" plus no benefit to the buyer, it sucks! Down side there isn't anyone who can/will help with this problem! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; April 16, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old April 16, 2013, 04:57 PM   #7
jag2

Its not really that hard to figure out. UPS has their own planes and is very efficient at moving things from city to city. USPS is very good at going from house to house. It makes perfect sense to marry the two. UPS doesn't want to drive around some neighborhood they aren't familiar with to deliver to 2 or 3 houses. If they didn't work together I'm sure the rates would be higher, then even more people could complain. Deal with it.
Old April 16, 2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Nuisance, but in abstraction, for UPS and USPS, you can see how one truck driving to a residence per day is cheaper than having two do it.

I'm going to close this thread as I don't believe any of us can solve this and it's a generic problem not peculiar to firearms or reloading supplies. It's much worse in pharmaceuticals, for which I used to design cold-chain transport systems and where losses in transport get as high as 50% for some products. The downsides for recipients of shipments is an unintended consequence of making shipping departments into separate profit centers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread