The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1
trooper3385

Hornady LeverEvalution Report

A couple of months ago, I get a real good deal on a Marlin 336 Stainless Steel. I put a Nikon 3-9 scope on it. I decided to try some of the new Hornady LeverEvalution. I guess thats how you spell it. Anyway, it was hitting real good on paper at 100 yds, so I decided to take it out today. First time I've ever hunted with a 30-30. First time with a lever action as well. So after about 15 hogs camped out under my feeder for about 4 hrs, I decided to take a crack at one before leaving. The shot the biggest one which was about a 200 lb boar. It was quartering towards me at 150 yds and I hit em right in front of the shoulder. Dropped in its tracks with a complete pass through, behind the shoulder. Waited about 10 minutes before heading out. As I was coming up to it, I heard another coming towards me through the brush, back up to the feeder. Busted that one at about 15 yds just in front of its ear. complete pass through as well, which would be expected at that distance. Bullet performed excellent. Devestating damage on both, especially with the larger one at about 150 yds. I hadn't heard much about the bullet on how it performs on game, other than there pretty accurate. Just thought I would let you all know if your using them or thinking about it. I'll be sticking with them. The smaller sow that I shot should eat pretty good. I wasn't planning on doing anything with the boar, but some guy that came along for the ride with one of the guys we lease too was happy to take it. So good luck to him.
Old November 13, 2006, 05:01 PM   #2
whiskey

Thanks for the info.
Old November 13, 2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Long Path

Eat the big ones, too. They're wonderful. (200 lbs, by the way, isn't at all out of line for tender.)

Thanks for the range report. 150g load?
Old November 13, 2006, 11:07 PM   #4
trooper3385

There 160 gr bullets. I think thats the only grain bullet they have for the 30-30. I'm not worried about eating the big ones. I've butchered bigger ones than that. I just haven't had much luck with the boars. I'll stick with the sows for the dinner table.
Old November 14, 2006, 02:05 AM   #5
beenthere

Glad to get the report. That's the first game report I've seen, but I expected they should work pretty well.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old November 14, 2006, 07:28 AM   #6
deerslayer79

that is some good info,makes that 30-30 handi rifle I saw today even better.
Old November 14, 2006, 09:08 AM   #7
mikejonestkd

I am glad that it worked out well for you. In today's world of super fast ultra short mags it is refreshing to see the .30/30 get a new lease on life with the levevolution ammo. Nice cartridge, nice bullet and good eating pig!!!
Old November 16, 2006, 09:21 PM   #8
Mannlicher

I have not tried the LeveRevolution loads yet, but a lot of folks over on the Marlin Owners Forum are having great success with them in 30-30 and .35 calibers.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old November 18, 2006, 12:28 AM   #9
UniversalFrost

Thanks for posting the report.

Glad you are having good luck with the leverevoutions in 30/30. My 2 winchester 94's (1 pre and 1 post 64) both hate them for some reason. Can't hold a consistant group under 4" with them, but am shooting around 2" with the remington hollow points. I am looking forward to testing out the 45/70's in my marlin cowboy. Also can't wait tell they release the bullets to the reloading crowd so I can try and tweak the loads until I get them to work in my winchesters.

Happy hunting.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old November 18, 2006, 09:55 AM   #10
sparkysteve

Thanks for the report. I usualy use my .30-06 for deer, but sometimes use my 336 in .35 for drives. I've been meaning to try the new Hornadys.

Dont tread on me.