The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 4, 2006, 12:54 AM   #1
bclark1

Turkey gun: Fouled or no?

I don't really clean my gun enough when I'm patterning it to notice a difference. Rather, I clean it after the range, not really at. I was wondering if anyone prefers to put a fouling load down the tube or not, and if they've found it affects the pattern. Last year I was shooting clean, but this year it crossed my mind that it may or may not be better to leave the barrel fouled on the way to the field.
Old April 4, 2006, 09:48 AM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

I'm a firm beleiver in keeping ALL my guns clean, but I wouldn't think, on a shot gun, it would have much effect on the pattern.(Unless the barrel is extremely dirty.)
Most guys I know that bird hunt will sometimes shoot several hundred rounds through their shotguns before cleaning.
Old April 4, 2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Twycross

I don't think it will be much of an issue. Even with a rifle, the first shot from a clean bore is only going to be a couple inches off at 100 yards, at most, if it is off at all. A shotgun pattern shift of that magnitude might not even be detectable.
Old April 7, 2006, 09:52 PM   #4
Anthony2

With a turkey gun clean or dirty won't matter. The usual range for a turkey shot isn't more than 30yds. If your turkey gun won't pattern at 30yds. or less you need a new gun.

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me