The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 20, 2002, 04:28 PM   #1
Roadrunner

Tree Stand Hunters - Help Needed

My cousin and I are planning on buying a couple of tree stands to use for deer hunting (rifle, not bow) on family land. I like the ladder stands, my cousin seems to like the climbing type.

I'm interested in hearing from your experiences and any recommendations for ladder stands.

We found some tree stand plans on the Internet for building a wooden platform with stairs. We might try building our own. In case we don't build, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
Old June 20, 2002, 04:53 PM   #2
CD1

Climbing stands are nice because you can hunt where ever you find sign. They let you stay mobile all season, which I find helps keep my sharp in the stand.

Ladder stands are nice because you don't have to carry them around all season & don't have to set them up in the dark.

I would lean toward building vs buying ladder stands. You can build several wooden stands for the price of buying one metal stand.

I use both. I have an Ol' Man Vision climber, and several wooden stands that I use as well.
Old June 20, 2002, 05:55 PM   #3
ballistic gelatin

I have used both. I like the ladder stand better. It feels safer to me and usually has a crossbar you can rest the rifle on before a shot. Some have "blinds" or screens around them so your outline is hidden (you can make your own blind). I like them because they feel safer to me.
Old June 20, 2002, 11:12 PM   #4
BIGR

I have used both in the past but where we hunt now there are not many good trees to climb. The timber was harvested about 10 or 12 years ago and that limits the good climbing trees. We decided last deer season to buy 2 or 3 ladder stands for each hunter. We bought some of those $50 to $ 60 dollar 15 foot ladder stands at Wal-Mart and Dicks sporting goods. Well last season spoiled me using the ladders stands. I killed 4 deer out of one ladder stand and two other hunters killed two apiece out of that same stand. We put the ladder stands up early and I think the deer got used to them. I know we killed about 13 deer out of the ladder stands last year. I might have used the climbing stand one time. It is so nice to walk into the woods and only have to carry your backpack and rifle. Get to the ladder stand climb up that ladder sit down and wait for the action to begin. I have had some bad experiences using a climbing stand and I personally think that the ladder stand is safer. Also most the time after climbing a tree with the climbing stand I am burnt up.
As far as the wooden stands they might be ok if they are built right. After a few years of use and weather they do get weak and dangerous. I have discovered some real death trap wooden stands in the woods that were built by other hunters. Some of them look safe but wouldn't hold up squirrel. Good luck on your decision.....
Old June 21, 2002, 11:47 AM   #5
gfrey

After seeing some wood stands in the Wisconsin woods I Highly recommend you think about homebuilt stands carefully. (You want to come out of the Tree in, AHEM, a Hurry or not?)
One of my wifes cousins has to build a new stand every year.
I don't go in his even the year he builds them. (And he wonders why...)

My FIL is retired and builds good tree stands, but you have to check them carefully EVERY year. (and preferably LONG before season, so you aren't tempted to just use it ONE more time.)
If you have permanent access to the land and the time to build and maintain them, good stands are possible. Some people think once they slap a few 2X4's in a tree they can use it until the devil wears ice skates.

I have a KONG treestand (Alum, forget model Gorilla maybe?)
And a three section ladder that attaches to the tree with straps.
(allows you to climb past limbs that would stop a climbing treestand) I like it because I can climb the tree while putting the ladder up and place the treestand in one trip off the ground.
(although I must practice this every year because it takes a few tries to get it right in one try. I should practice with my eyes closed so I can do it before light.) Since I don't own land and must ask permission, I found this setup works well and doesn't damage other peoples trees. (Like screw in steps might.)

I have climb into other peoples commercial ladder stands, I suggest you try some if you can. A few weren't comfortable to me, and if you aren't comfy, you won't sit still or long. (and that is probably a personal thing, so it doesn't matter that I don't remember what they were.)

YOU DIDN'T ASK, BUT I am gonna say it anyway.

I USE A FALL WOODS Seat o the Pants harness and SUGGEST you use a GOOD climbing harness.
( Not just a stap around your chest.)

What I like about mine is it works like a linemans belt to assist you going up and allows you to be connected whenever your feet are off the ground. There are others, I consider it to be a more crucial part of hunting than my weapon. (Since I use it gun and bow season...)

I have two small children and consider falling out of the treestand to be NOT an option. ( and since you are gonna invite me to hunt with you I wanna take care of my friends too )

as always,

YMMV

Gfrey
Old June 22, 2002, 01:54 AM   #6
Bwana Earl

When you build 'um, use treated wood and galvanized nails, bolts and/or screws. Use a piece of treated wood across the groundline of the ladder so the legs don't sink into the ground. A piece of welded wire fence covered with any type camo or laced with local floura makes a simple blind around the platform and adds very little weight. These are real cheap, long lasting, and can be moved. They are not a "backpack" item, and a buddy is a great help, but you can install a slew of them for the cost of a good climber. Get used to it, and you can haul in the material and build them on site with a hammer and chainsaw. Platform can be treated plywood or slats. Place your rungs at 12 to 14 inches for ease in climbing. Make the uprights from 2X4's up to 20 feet long, platform from 1Xwhatever or half to 3/4 inch plywood, and use 2X4's for the rungs. Place a 2X4 strut from the ladder to the platform for stability. Use chain and some sort of binder to secure it to the tree. We even mount those cheap boat seats with a post and swivel on the platform if the stand will be used a lot.
Add your own ideas and pass them back to me if they are successful.
John 3:16
2nd Amendment
Any Questions?
Old June 24, 2002, 10:50 PM   #7
keano44

Roadrunner,
Why not use both? Especially since this is "family" land (I read this to mean private land). Set up several ladder stands or lock-on stands in likely areas you find during summer scouting. This way the deer will have become used to them when hunting season comes around, and you won't be making big disturbances in the woods too close to opening day. Later, during the season, as the deer patterns change, because of the rut, or changing food sources, use your climber in combination with which ever of your "permanent" stands that are hottest. I like to stay flexible, and mobile, and rarely hunt the exact same stand more than two days in a row. Even if you are in a good hot spot, moving your stand, say 50 yds., can help keep the deer from patterning you. I believe deer do learn to skirt around permanent stands if they are hunted too much, and will sometimes hunt my climber just out of visual range of a permanent stand to try and catch them doing this, (This is also a perfect setup for hunting with my 13 year old son, keeping him close by. I try to put him in the stand I believe is most likely to see action.)
Personaly, I do not like homemade wooden ladder stands. I like lock-on stands. You can buy three or four of them (from a source like The Sportsman's Guide, or Cabellas') for the price of a good climber. Then, I use portable ladder steps called Rapid Rails. These are light sectional ladder segments which are easily, quickly, and quietly fastened to the tree, at whichever stand I wish to hunt. This method works well on a lease or private land where it is safe to leave your stands in place. On public land, I use my climbing stand. Mine is a homemade, all welded aluminum stand with the best features borrowed from many manufacturers, and some innovations of my own. For instance, it was originally designed to be a rifle stand, where the hunter sits facing the tree. With a few modifications, it becomes a great bowhunting stand, by reversing the top and bottom peices. Then, after I have killed a deer, a bolt on wheel assembly, on the top half of my stand, transforms it into a deer hauling cart. Not to brag, folks, but it has been used more than once, to haul out two deer at a time, or a deer and a hog, together, when my hunting buddy and I were both successful. Maybe one day I'll post more details about my climber. I've hunted from it for close to twenty years now and wouldn't trade it for any other stand on the market. There may be some more comfortable stands nowdays, but mine is rock solid in any tree I climb, quieter than any other I've tried, and I feel safe in it. Always use a good safety harness with any type of tree stand.
Good luck.
I've seen mountains, and I've seen desserts.
I've seen the world, and thought I'd seen it all. But of all the scenes I've ever seen, I ain't never seen no scene, like the scene I'm seein now!........keano44
Old June 25, 2002, 08:13 PM   #8
5ptdeerhunter

No matter what stand you pick, make sure you set it up facing the right way. Last season I set up my stand using the deer sign, and then the deer started traveling behind me. It ruined my year.

I used a ladder stand. I feel safer and I don't have to carry it in and back out. My only problem with mine was that it was too much hassle to switch to the other side of the tree. To lazy I guess.

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old June 25, 2002, 08:42 PM   #9
Mannlicher

I have sworn off (and at) climbers. Two years ago, after taking a 45 foot 'slide for life' down the trunk of a pine tree in North Florida, I have vowed to stick to ladder stands.

A few things that should be borne in mind. First, NEVER climb with your gun in hand. Pull that up later with a rope. Second, always let some know where you will be hunting, and when you plan to be back, and third, use a safety strap. Oh, and dont climb strange trees in the dark, and in the rain, in borrowed climbers. lol

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 26, 2002, 03:33 PM   #10
KilgorII

Quote:
I have sworn off (and at) climbers. Two years ago, after taking a 45 foot 'slide for life' down the trunk of a pine tree in North Florida, I have vowed to stick to ladder stands.
Quote:
Oh, and dont climb strange trees in the dark, and in the rain, in borrowed climbers. lol
To tell you the truth this doesn't sound like the climbing stand's fault.

Sounds like a heck of a ride though!

Old July 1, 2002, 10:07 AM   #11
litework

I think all the stands you mentioned have their pros and cons. Ladder stands aren't very easy to carry around in my opinion. Climbing stands are much more portable and comfortable. However, you can place a ladder stand in trees with low forks. A serious drawback for the climbing tree stand is finding the perfect tree. After buying my climbing stand, I was shocked (not really) to find most trees are not very straight and most have many branches within 10' of the ground. You have to prepare your site with any tree stand.
Old July 2, 2002, 08:23 AM   #12
M1911

Quote:
I USE A FALL WOODS Seat o the Pants harness and SUGGEST you use a GOOD climbing harness.
Indeed. Get a real harness with straps that go over your shoulders, around your waist and chest and through the crotch.

Quote:
Dunno what stand you were using, but the safety video and manual for the climbing stand that I purchased indicated it was IMPERATIVE to wear your safety harness at all times, INCLUDING WHILE CLIMBING. You move the harness up a bit, then bring up the stand. Move the harness up, then bring up the stand. If you do that, you can't fall more than the length of your safety harness.

M1911