The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 19, 2002, 10:15 AM   #1
the blind lefty

sako 75 action

an old friend of mine told me that the new 75 action lacked a certain safety element. if my memory serves me,i think it was a gas baffle,but i'm not sure.i know the action has a sleeve on the back,but is there still a minimal chance of gas escape to the rear due to no gas baffle.
it may seem a little anal to wonder due to modern cartridge quality,but it is my eye.thanks.
Old July 19, 2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Which is why folks wear impact-resistant safety glasses of one sort or another...

, Art
Old July 20, 2002, 08:10 AM   #3
the blind lefty

i see!
Old July 20, 2002, 12:08 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm not familiar with the Sako 75...

SFAIK, it would take the rupture of the case itself to truly create a hazard. I've not heard of that happening with U.S. factory ammo.

Some of my father's .22-250 handloads were a bit "ambitious". I shot some through his 1974-variety Sako; on one shot, the primer fell out. (Seems he was nearly two grains too much on the load.) Anyhow, no gas blew back.

If, like me, you're already four-eyed, just get tempered lenses. Otherwise, poly-carbonate (? I think is the name.) lenses are very impact resistant. I'd suggest a light yellow tint.

FWIW, Art
Old July 20, 2002, 11:04 PM   #5
the blind lefty

hey,thanks for the reassuring words. i'm knocking around the idea of getting one of sako's stainless 223,or 6mm PPC rifles,if i trade in my classic hunter. i love the gun,but i don't hunt. i'd like a sweet shooting range gun,or a light rifle for beating around(finnlight).
Old July 21, 2002, 05:57 AM   #6
PJR

Examining my Sako 75, I noted a groove on the underside side of the bolt. It would appear that if a case let go, the gas would be vented down and into the magazine. Not having an older Sako around (having foolishly sold a couple) I can't compare the two but I wouldn't be concerned about the new models.

Always wear safety glasses while shooting.
Old July 21, 2002, 12:22 PM   #7
the blind lefty

i always wear safety glasses,and ear protection when i shoot.maybe i should get in the habbit of posting such advice,thanks.
when i got my first sako,the 2 bolt version,i looked at alot of rifle action in that popular shooters book i can't remember the name of(had rare stuff like texas magnum,etc.).i liked the clean approach sako takes on design:stronge,lean,quality manufacture.
what caliber/style 75 do you have PJR?- i'll probably opt for a 223
for practicality,but my snobby side may come out at puchase time and the 6mmPPC would be the one.lol.
i should mention that i chose the sako over a weatherby for a few reasons.while i could live with the mass of the MKV,it didn't come in the particular calibers i wanted.also i wanted to control the ejection to make chasing brass a moot point.last,i knew sako had one of the best triggers out of the box.the 75 takes it a step further with a low bolt throw,and without the difficulty of the MKV.
Old July 21, 2002, 02:47 PM   #8
PJR

blind lefty:

Mine is a Model 75 Hunter in .223 Remington. It is my predator control rifle. We live in the country and have coyotes and groundhogs to deal with. I chose the Sako because of my previous experience with them and for the detachable magazine. I can't leave a loaded rifle around my place for various reasons so it remains unloaded with a magazine nearby.

It likes the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 50 grain ammo a lot. Any five shot group over .75" is attributable solely to operator error. I particularly like the Sako in .223 because it is built on an action scaled to the shorter cartridge unlike Remington, Tikka and most others who use the .308 size action and use magazine inserts to keep the cartridges secure.

It is the third Sako that I've owned. Previously, I had older models in .270 and a heavy barrel 6mmPPC single shot. The PPC has a lot to recommend it and mine took a fair number of groundhogs at significant distances. It's an easy round to load for although brass and factory ammo isn't cheap. Once you have the brass however it lasts a very long time due to the round's low pressure.

I don't do that much rifle shooting anymore. My tastes tend toward shotguns for sport but the Sako in .223 is definitely a keeper. I did see an old style 6mmPPC Hunter at a gun store the other day and was sorely tempted. The PPC is a very underrated cartridge IMHO for small game shooting.
Old July 21, 2002, 08:35 PM   #9
the blind lefty

we think much alike on guns PJR,right down to the ammo;i worked up a load for my 270 with 150 grain nosler ballistic tips and winchester brass.that was before nossler and winchester came together.i messed around with vitavouri oy in the stick powders(can't recall the #).faster burning,with nominal pressures.just enough to get 2300-2400 ft/second at 300 yards. winchester primers as well.