The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2005, 09:02 AM   #1
sthsquid

rifle stock care

What do you guys use, if anything, for wood care on rifles? I am a primarily a "pistol guy" but do have one Ruger model 77 (.22 hornet)....I've never really "done" anything to the wood but don't want to neglect it.
Old February 13, 2005, 05:16 PM   #2
sthsquid

OK, 12 "views" and 0 "replies" so far. Is my question really that stupid? Perhaps just some Lemon Pledge........?
Old February 13, 2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Andrew LB

It usually depends on the finish of the stock. Sometimes you simply wipe them down with a clean slightly damp cloth but for most of my rifles which are quite old, i use a very light coat of oil on them and after an hour or so, wipe it down with a clean dry cloth.

I'm no expert on this though. Its the way my father did it for decades.

I'm sure there are special products out there but i'm not up to speed on that.
Old February 13, 2005, 05:57 PM   #4
bill k

I read you question, I think it might be a good one. All I've ever done is wipe them down with my cleaning rag. I don't use any type of wax or anything. My only concern is moisture and warping. At the end of hunting season i always take the stock off and check for moisture then put the assembled rifle away standing up in the case. I have new as well as fifty and sixty year old rifles, never had any problem.
Some people might, but I'd never wax or oil a stock. I'd be afraid it would make it slippery especially in the rain and snow.
Old February 14, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Wraith

I personally oil the stock when I oil the rifle for storage, taking care to wipe excess oil of the metal and dry the best I can the stock. Regular gun oil shouldn't harm the stock.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old February 14, 2005, 09:09 PM   #6
Jump boot

My opinion and opinions of those who are experts,and much of what I have read in rifle care books,oil is bad for wood.I use a spray that I bought years ago and sparay it on and let sit for 5 min.then buff out.I think it is called stock slick.You may find it in gun shops or Walmart.
The best way to store a rifle is with barrel down so that any oil won't bleed back in to the stock.In the old days,hunters used to use linseed oil to wipe down their stocks and I know that they sell lemon oil for furniture but for my gun stocks,no oil.
Old February 14, 2005, 10:39 PM   #7
Wraith

Well I know oil can stain and discolor wood. I was always of the understanding that unless one used a colored oil or let it pool, the wood would be okay. I havent noticed any ill effect on my stocks. The wood seems vibrant and there is no discoloration.

Perhaps I need to read up on this more. I just figured oil is used to finish wood/use a clear oil like gun oil and all will be okay. I do a little wood working from time to time but am by no means an expert.

One thing, however. If your talking about a stock on a target rifle you might not want to use oil. Use a furniture spray and wipe dry. This will help protect the wood but allow a firm grip. Oil can make it a little more loose in the hand.

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old February 15, 2005, 07:15 AM   #8
Jump boot

This is a good post,maybe we can get some more opinions.Most of what I know,I read from gun magazines and you know that you can only take some of the things they say with a grain of salt.That being said,I was under the impression that oil seeping back into the stock while in the storeage position,butt down,would make the wood spongy and soft in the area of the pistol grip.That could lead to trouble.
I'm all ears and if there is a way of taking care of a rifle stock,I'm all for it.
Old February 16, 2005, 09:36 PM   #9
tintcutter

Women use lotion. Besides smelling good, lotion makes things feel good.

I recommend you rub a woman on your stock.