The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2015, 11:47 PM   #26
Tony C

Thanks to All - Resolved

Several mentioned that my re-sizing die might not be lowered as far as it needs to be due to the change of shell plates from the single-stage press to the progressive plate, and you were all right on the mark. I had a little over 1/8th of an inch that wasn't getting re-sized.

I also did reduce the belling / flaring of the case mouth a bunch. Between these two changes, I put together a few dummy rounds and they all fit nicely into the barrel.

Thanks again for all the troubleshooting advice. Your help and time is appreciated.

Tony
Old July 6, 2015, 12:07 AM   #27
jag2

One of the earlier posts suggested screwing your sizing die down a quarter turn. I'm going to say try the opposite. I think sometimes just the stress put on the brass when the sizing die comes down makes the case bulge a bit near the bottom. I even use spray lube with carbide dies so the pressure from the die is lessened. I usually can either see or feel the bulge, if so I toss that piece. My experience with 9mm is that the case does not need to be sized all that far down. Keep it to a minimum.
Old July 8, 2015, 10:11 AM   #28
Nathan

I would definitely agree that setting up your dies for your press is required, but that shouldn't affect the problems you reported...
Old July 10, 2015, 07:19 PM   #29
849ACSO

Don't by chance have bulged bases from range pick up brass that came from a glock factory barrel do ya?

I'm sure you checked that, but I didn't notice if you said you did....
Old July 10, 2015, 07:43 PM   #30
BWM

Sound like you need to turn your die down some more. Would like you to mike your bullets and see if that could be it. Are you short stroking when depriming if you are not going all the way this could be reason that they are bulged. GOOD LUCK
Old July 11, 2015, 05:43 AM   #31
jetinteriorguy

One other possibility, maybe your getting some gunk buildup in the seating die. This happened to me once and it cause the bullet to stick slightly and when lowering the ram pulled the bullet out slightly causing differing OAL. a good cleaning fixed this. The buildup was caused by excessive lube on the bullets getting stuck in the seating die.
Old July 11, 2015, 07:22 AM   #32
243winxb

Lee Undersized Carbide Sizing Die 9mm Luger http://www.midwayusa.com/product/386...-die-9mm-luger Maybe worth a try??