The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #26
Ozzieman

YES, dar it, A Glock 26 and I hate Glocks,,, well Hated Glocks,, used to hate Glocks.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:06 PM   #27
lee n. field

Quote:
Anybody Ever Have a Gun That Just Grew on Them?
LIke a tumor or a wart, that you have to have cut off?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 8, 2012, 01:04 AM   #28
black mamba

Yes, any gun that is either:

a) extremely accurate, or

b) one I've killed stuff with.

1/2 MOA rifles are beautiful, no matter what they look like.
Rifles or shotguns that I can take quick snapshots with and kill cleanly are beautiful, period.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:21 AM   #29
JFootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham
Taurus 22-Ply...
Can you estimate the trigger pull in pounds for this gun?
Old November 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #30
Edward429451

Single Actions in general and the RBH in particular. When I was young and full of mall ninja, I wanted firepower! SA guns are old fashioned, slow to load, and you'd never want one in a gun fight.

When I started buying guns I was in search of Hi-cap wunder pistols. It seemed as if every time when I went in search of some whiz-bang pistol, I kept running into SA guns for a price that couldn't be beat so I'd buy with the premise of it's a stand in and would be replaced with a real pistol shortly.

Fast forward some years and I was still a wunder-pistol kid mentally but realized one day that my collection did not support my thought process. I had more SAs than anything. I was ashamed to admit it but I liked them. They shot very well and had something that the wunder pistols did not. Every time a new wunder pistol was available and I needed to liquidate a gun to fund the wunder pistol, I found good reasons to not get rid of any SA's.

When my Wife bought me a Mdl 83, I was at a point that I had to admit that almost any SA was preferable to almost any wunder pistol. The SA were better all around and luckily, I didn't have to start over with my collection to get the ones I really wanted. My 83 is so impressive that I almost didn't want to even let anyone handle it or shoot it which is contrary to my character. I decided that I needed another SA that costs less than the 83 so I would have a 45 Colt that could be used as a loaner and range gun, and I wouldn't have to hand over my Rolls Royce 83 to my bubba friends. Enter the RBH Convertible.

This BH isn't lacking in anything. It has the sweetest trigger, good balance, superior toughness, adjustable sights and horsepower. For 30% of the cost of the 83. It's not quite as accurate as the 83, or have quite as sweet a trigger, but at 1/3 the cost of the 83 (used 83), it is a better value. It comes so close to being competitive to the 83 overall and for 1/3 the cost that I have to take my hat off to Ruger for being able to produce such a fine revolver at the price that they do.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:45 AM   #31
aarondhgraham

Hello JFootin,,,

Quote:
Can you estimate the trigger pull in pounds for this gun?
Sorry my friend,,,
I have no scale to measure it with,,,
Any pound numbers I state would just be a guess.

The pull is a bit long,,,
And the reset is a bit long as well.

I don't think it has an exceptionally heavy trigger,,,
I can pop all nine rounds off rather quickly,,,
One does need to get used to that reset.

Not a bad trigger,,,
Not a great trigger,,,
It just functions is all.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 8, 2012, 02:24 PM   #32
BikeNGun1974

I used to hate Glocks. Now I own four of them.
Old November 12, 2012, 06:29 PM   #33
xkalifornian

My name is xkalifornian and I also used to hate Glocks. Love my G36.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:27 PM   #34
jaughtman

BHP Ugly?

When I first read this, I kept waiting for the punchline.....LOL.

J
Old November 13, 2012, 03:45 AM   #35
therealdeal

yep I have

"Abraham Lincoln freed all men, but Sam Colt made them all equal." (post Civil War slogan)
Old November 13, 2012, 01:45 PM   #36
temmi

the SigP220
Old November 14, 2012, 02:20 AM   #37
JC57

Glocks. I had one of the original Glock 17 Gen 1s back in the 80s and couldn't stand the thing. Ugly, looked and felt like a Mattel toy, just didn't feel right. Carried it on duty for about a year but went back to a revolver, which I was used to and could shoot more accurately.

Fast forward to today. I own a Glock 22 Gen 4 and a 26 Gen 4. They are 100% reliable, they point naturally for me, and I guess I've become accustomed to matte black plastic guns since everyone makes them now so they look more 'functional' than ugly.

I still like my K-frame revolvers, and while not a 'fanboy', I do find the Glocks to be very adequate guns for my needs.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:15 AM   #38
silver arrow

My favorite

I carried a Ruger Security Six in my survival gear every time my aircraft left the ground, It is still a part of me today, "Retired and not for sale". I have a Ruger 1911 that I shoot now.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:59 PM   #39
PT-92

Quote:
November 5, 2012, 12:50 AM #1
freenokia
Anybody Ever Have a Gun That Just Grew on Them?
I have completely flip flopped on the Browning Hi-Power. I used to think it was the ugliest pistol made...
Pure and utter BLASPHEMY! JMB has been slandered...

Different strokes for different folks but I am not surprised it "grew on you."

-Cheers
Old November 14, 2012, 02:14 PM   #40
RedBowTies88

When I first inherited my pre model 37 I couldn't stand it. Couldn't hit a damn thing and the report and blast was significant. Once I realized it was my fault and not the guns it started to grow on me.

I've also had the opposite happen with my 22/45...loved it at first. Not it just doesn't have enough zing for me.
Old November 15, 2012, 07:06 PM   #41
redhawk45

Generally I collect Colt double actions. About two years ago I fell into a 1959 JC Higgins Ranger made by High Standard for Sears. I did not seek this revolver but it seemed to come to me. I cleaned it after acquiring it and found that it did not work at all in double action but was fine in single action. It is a 9 shot 22lr. I left he gun alone for a year or so and finally shot it a few times and thought this is not bad, aluminum frame, decent sights, good finish, and accurate. I decided to try to get it repaired but did not have luck finding anyone familiar with it and from looking at drawings of the action it was slightly different from the High Standard Sentinel. I tried to take it apart but failed. I left it on the shelf again for a few months but this week I finally decided I don't have much to lose money wise even if failed in the repair. I found some videos on a similar gun and decided it was time. Well the problem with the gun was just gunk on the internals preventing smooth movement and when clean it appeared to work fine. I got it back together and now I really get what they were after when they made these guns. Economical to shoot, light, high capacity for its time, and pretty good quality. I guess it grew on me.
Old November 15, 2012, 10:20 PM   #42
skidder

A little over a year ago I picked up a Security Six. Well...one, very quickly, turned to 4 and I'm still looking for more. I guess you can look at multiplying as growing.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old November 17, 2012, 06:14 AM   #43
9mmfan

Quote:
Ever Have a Gun That Just Grew on Them?
I wish. It would be so much cheaper than having to go out and buy them. My beloved wife wouldn't have ground to stand on...

Maybe that should be my story. "No, babe, it just started as a pimple on my thigh."
Old November 17, 2012, 09:11 PM   #44
bilyspit

Springfield 1911-A1

I know, it's sacrilege, but the gun that grew on me was a 1911, and it just happened a couple of weeks ago. I just recently returned from a 4 day training course and I decided to take my 1911 to once and for all put to rest whether I was going to sell it or not. I had purchased it largely on the writings of Jeff Cooper (who by the way was another gun thing that grew on me - hated him when I first started reading G&A but now I couldn't imagine the gun world without him) Anyway, on casual range trips, I liked the way the 1911 shot, but didn't think it would be at all handy in a gun fight. That all changed after my 4 day training course. With a couple of exceptions I wound up really liking the 1911. My suspicions were confirmed just this last week when I went to the range and fired a couple of my other guns including my beloved Sig. To my horror, my Sig felt almost foreign to me after training with the 1911. Now of course, if I train again with my Sig, we will probably get comfy again, but the point is, the 1911 stays.
Old November 18, 2012, 03:12 AM   #45
Redhawk5.5+P+

Just all of them excluding my CZ2075 Rami.

TBS, I bought it for pocket carry. Big mistake, as I now carry a S&W 638.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:29 PM   #46
WIN71

Off. Mod. Target, .38 special, 71/2" barrel

The first one I got hold of was as a teenager around 1957. Lots and lots of rabbits met their maker on account of it. I bought a second one around 1999 as a spare. Any rabbit within 100 feet is still dead meat. 158gr. mid range wad cutters and 158 gr. lead round nose was usually the ammo used in those old days. I hand load mid power 158 gr. semi wad cutters now. I still have 10 or so boxes of Winchester wad cutters in reserve.
It grew on me and I have never found any handgun I could shoot better, including a Python.

Old November 22, 2012, 02:52 PM   #47
Warrior1256

I recently bought a Glock 21SF. It has quickly become my favorite among my handguns. It was accurate out of the box, it is tough and reliable.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:08 PM   #48
edfrompa

CZ P01. Awesome carry piece.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:34 PM   #49
9mm

No, I take showers daily to keep the dust mites off me. I couldn't imagen metal growing on me.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:49 PM   #50
PT-92

Quote:
Today, 07:34 PM #49
9mm

No, I take showers daily to keep the dust mites off me. I couldn't imagen metal growing on me.
I'll tell you what, I am going to have a few cocktails now and several hours out I will check back and re-read this joke and see if I can laugh at it if "slightly lubed-up" ...

I will post results sometime thereafter.

-Happy Holidays