The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 21, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

Glocks malfunctioning with flashlights

I have seen people refer to particular Glocks (.40) malfunctioning when equipped with a flashlight.

Is this a generation related problem? Spring problem? Unknown cause or cure?

Internet hyped BS? Real issue?
Old December 21, 2013, 01:19 PM   #2
michael t

I remember reading a lot of Police departments thought was a real problem.
Old December 21, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
mbott

This was a real issue but easily resolved IIRC. The fix involved a new mag spring (11 coil) and possibly a new mag follower to help stiffen up the frame of the .40 Glock.

--
Mike
Old December 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Noreaster

Fixed with the Gen 4.
Old December 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Coach Z

I've had both streamlight lights and viridian light laser combos on my gen three and four guns and not a hiccup with either setup.

Mine are all 9mm but hole that helps relieve some of your concern.
Old December 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster
Fixed with the Gen 4.
This ^^^. On the previous generations, a light or laser attached to the rail could change the way the frame flexed and sometimes cause malfunctions. As far as I know, this was only a problem on the Glock 22. The dual recoil spring setup on the Gen 4s slowed down the slide cycling and fixed this problem.
Old December 21, 2013, 06:19 PM   #7
Aaron1100us

I have a gen 3 G22. I have had a light on it for 4 years now. Never had a single issue. But yes I have heard others have issues with the frame cracking.
Old December 21, 2013, 06:39 PM   #8
IdahoG36

It is not internet hype, it did happen. Here is a link to a PDF file from the Streamlight website describing the issue-
http://www.streamlight.com/static/do...lockissues.pdf

I thought that this was pretty weird-
Quote:
There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.
Old December 21, 2013, 06:52 PM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

I've ran pistol lights on a Glock 34, 17, 19, 22, 23, and 21 with no issue. All gen 3's.
Old December 21, 2013, 09:10 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I wonder what Glock has done about the bad guy who puts a slug through the stupid light and into the head of the guy who put the light on his pistol. Or is that a question we are not allowed to ask in this day of "tacti-cool"?

Jim
Old December 21, 2013, 09:11 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
I wonder what Glock has done about the bad guy who puts a slug through the stupid light and into the head of the guy who put the light on his pistol. Or is that a question we are not allowed to ask in this day of "tacti-cool"?
Not a fan of lights?
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 22, 2013, 12:10 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Glock acknowledges that some Glocks (particularly the .40S&W guns) may malfunction with accessories (especially flashlights) attached to the accessory rail. The fix is a stronger spring (one additional coil).

If you're having problems, contact Glock. They will likely provide you the springs at no charge.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:28 AM   #13
RBid

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K View Post

Jim

In what way is the wording of this post likely to benefit ANY reader? It doesn't answer the posed question, and is worded in a way that stands only to incite drama and polarize other readers. In the absence of concern for helping others, it appears that the post was written for the sole purpose of making the author look cool by tearing others down.

A more productive choice may be to start a new thread, discussing in detail the realities and merits of different light uses and implements.
Old December 22, 2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Jo6pak

^^Agreed, but he is staff and they seem to be able to say whatever they want.
I'm sure this post will be deleted or I will get a naughty note. Probably both.

As for attachments causing malfunctions, it is something I have even considered. Interesting to find that is could be an issue.
Seems Glock has fixed the problem in the Gen4, but thanks for posting about the possibility of issues with older generations.

Has any other brand/model had issues with this? Or is it just he sheer number of Glocks out there that make the problem seem more pronounced?
Old December 22, 2013, 04:36 PM   #15
silverstang23

Haven't had any problems with my g23 and x300
Old December 22, 2013, 04:59 PM   #16
RBid

Quote:
^^Agreed, but he is staff and they seem to be able to say whatever they want.
I'm sure this post will be deleted or I will get a naughty note. Probably both.

As for attachments causing malfunctions, it is something I have even considered. Interesting to find that is could be an issue.
Seems Glock has fixed the problem in the Gen4, but thanks for posting about the possibility of issues with older generations.

Has any other brand/model had issues with this? Or is it just he sheer number of Glocks out there that make the problem seem more pronounced?
It was an issue specific to Gen 3 Glocks chambered in .40 S&W. It hasn't been an issue at all with Gen 4.

As far as Gen 4 issues go, they were pretty much specific to G17 and G19. The .40 and .45 offerings have been pretty awesome since day 1. I traded in a Glock 23 Gen 3 on a Glock 23 Gen 4, and I consider it a very big upgrade.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:14 AM   #17
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I wonder what Glock has done about TFL staff members making posts that are unrelated to the topic at hand.

James K, could you explain to me what badguys putting slugs into people's heads has to do with my question about reliability issues with a particular combination of brand/caliber/accessory?
Old December 24, 2013, 07:37 AM   #18
mes228

Light

I'll be the Devils advocate. Who, in their right mind, hangs a light on a pistol? A finely crafted, balanced piece of machinery that Engineers spent countless hours and perhaps millions of dollars designing. Then stick several ounces on the end of it and un-do all that careful work and expense. I believe in lights, just not hanging lights on pistols. I'm older and remember when the FBI (and everyone else too) would never teach such a thing. I think the old school was right. Seems it would make you a great target too. But then, what do I know? Nothing really... I'm just full of opinions. My opinion is that it's not really a good place for a flashlight.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Noreaster

There is a real problem with searching with a weapon mounted light, (muzzling friendly's.) There is also a problem with a weapon mounted light that is constantly on during a search giving away your position. Then we have the undeniable fact that discharging your firearm accurately with a mounted light is quicker and more precise than the other methods of holding a light not attached to your firearm. Also take into account searching your residence with one hand on door knobs, light switches, cordless phone dialed to 911... and the other hand on your firearm. You can search using a weapon mounted light without muzzling a friendly (gun pointed at floor or ceiling and using the ambient lighting to search dark spots.) Do some real low light level shooting or building clearings with a naked gun and one with a light mounted and in the end you'll probably mount a light on your home defense firearm.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:00 AM   #20
FALPhil

Quote:
I'll be the Devils advocate. Who, in their right mind, hangs a light on a pistol?
^^^
This.

One thing you can say about Americans: they love their fads. I have to say, though, that this is not the worst I have seen.

Quote:
Then we have the undeniable fact that discharging your firearm accurately with a mounted light is quicker and more precise than the other methods of holding a light not attached to your firearm.
I do not believe this to be true. I was trained in the Chapman method of shooting with a light, and not only is it equally fast, it is more accurate.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:23 AM   #21
Dashunde

I have a Gen3 G35 with a Streamlight on it... no issues so far, but I do wonder now if its 100%?
The G35 isn't mentioned anywhere...

Quote:
A finely crafted, balanced piece of machinery that Engineers spent countless hours and perhaps millions of dollars designing. Then stick several ounces on the end of it and un-do all that careful work and expense.
Those engineers built a rail into the dust cover of their masterpiece didn’t they.
The weight of a light should have been accounted for and tested during those countless hours and millions of dollars.

Quote:
Yea, that’s a disappointing example of a staff post.
There's nothing tacti-cool about it... its just handy on a nightstand pistol as far as I'm concerned, less to fumble around for in the dark, easier to hang onto and it all works as a unit. It also provides a generic point of aim.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:36 AM   #22
dayman

Are there any confirmed accounts of someone getting shot "through the stupid light"?
It seems like it would be just as much of an issue with any method of carrying a light.
I think the increased chances of sweeping friendlies is a real concern - though keeping the gun at low/high ready, or simply keeping your finger of the trigger mitigates the risk. But, the idea that a light on your gun makes you any more of a target than any other light seems silly.
Old December 24, 2013, 02:28 PM   #23
SpareMag

The light question interests me. I have a laser attached to a shotgun that I have used as a training aid to help with hip-aiming. I have not used it in combat. But the laser is integerally attached to the forearm, and has not caused any reliability issue -nor would I expect it to, given the weight of the laser vs the weight of the shotgun.

Long way of saying, I have just very modest exposure to lights.

Do tactical teams use lights on handguns, or are they reserved for larger weapons where the added weight is not an issue?
Old December 25, 2013, 01:29 AM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Who, in their right mind, hangs a light on a pistol? A finely crafted, balanced piece of machinery that Engineers spent countless hours and perhaps millions of dollars designing. Then stick several ounces on the end of it and un-do all that careful work and expense.
I don't think it's reasonable to blame the gun owner for making use of the rail that the designer/engineer provided.

This one gets blamed on the engineers/designers who didn't work out all the kinks before releasing the design in a final product.

Fortunately the fix is relatively simple.
Old December 25, 2013, 04:36 PM   #25
745SW

This is my understanding of the Gen3 40S&W Glock’s over the years. Personally I’ve never owned a 40S&W. The fix for the cycling issue using a light is adding two turns to the mag spring. My guess is the light causes the frame to be too stable making for a faster cycle. Issue of the locking block rubbing against the slide was addressed with the third pin on the receiver. This pin is the top pin on the locking block.

The 9mm Glock’s had a couple of issues over the years. Phase III experienced by the NYPD with the G19, the empty casing would lodge horizontally in the ejection port. A rare jam that was difficult to clear. The upper part of the chamber area of the barrel that works as a locking lug at the ejection port was beveled at the front of the ejection port. Most likely causing the unlocking of the union of the slide and barrel ever so slightly sooner.

Gen4 9mm’s had issues with the RSA (recoil spring assembly). The same dual spring RSA used in the 40S&W and 9mm caused issues with the 9mm’s using light loads like WWB (Winchester white box). The RSA has gone through a number of revisions for the 9mm I believe.