The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 30, 2005, 07:37 PM   #1
rmdrake

ruger mark I reassembly

i broke down my ruger to clean it, when i put it back together i cant pull the bolt back. what am i doing wrong?
Old May 30, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2
Hardtarget

Can't pull the bolt back? Did you stand the hammer straight up before you snapped the spring tension piece in place? (I've lost the owners manual so I don't know the proper part names) Those are a little tricky. I can strip/reassemble ok ...I just don,t really think I can "talk you through "
Wish I could be real help for you. Take it apart and retry. You'll get it!
Mark.
Old May 30, 2005, 10:59 PM   #3
joab

See if this helps
Quote:
If the hammer strut does not contact the plunger inside the maonspring housing as it is swung shut, it will either be impossible to close the housing, or the housing will close but the bolt cannot be fully opened. Make sure strut is free, hammer is uncocked, and repeat steps V-11 above.
Old May 31, 2005, 06:55 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

If you have trouble getting the hammer strut to center properly in the mainspring plunger, just hook the mainspring housing up inder the back of the boltway and tilt the gun muzzle up and back so the strut dangles down over the plunger while you close it. Before coming flush with the back of the grip frame, you should feel the spring's resistance and have to push the housing the rest of the way home to close the assembly pin lever.

Nick
Old June 2, 2005, 10:11 AM   #5
2002gti

those rugers are a nightmare to break down. i did it one time and really dont like to shoot it because of this
Old June 2, 2005, 10:44 AM   #6
Handy

Once you get the hang of it it's pretty simple, and quick.

As Nick aludes, control the hammer and strut by pointing the muzzle down, then up at different phases of assembly. In no time you'll be able to do it by feel.
Old June 2, 2005, 11:05 AM   #7
Ohio Annie

I had trouble reassembling my MkII even using the owner's manual. Being a visual learner, the AGI video on the Ruger really helped me, besides the other usefulness of explaining all the parts and cleaning and stuff.
Old June 15, 2005, 02:37 PM   #8
cuate

Ruger MKI, MKII reassembly

It is so simple after trying to put the rascal back together and finally discover the trick (after thirty minutes or more) and like me at next cleaning forget the trick!

There is an aftermarket part that makes take down and reassembly very easy but I can't even remember where I saw that?

No, guys and dolls, it isn't alzheimers, its "old timers syndrome". What the hell was we talking about?