The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2011, 11:47 AM   #1
coop2564

Data for .327 fed mag?

Hello Newbe on site....just bought a Charter arms Patriot .327 with CT lazer and plan on reloading for it. So far gun is very accurate in SA but I need to get use to the DA trigger more but it has preformed flawless with about 200 rds thru it. So I've saved my cases (fed) have the dies plan on trying H110 to start with since I have ample supply that I use for my .41 mag. Anyone loading for this round have any data you care to share? Seems Fed recommends Small rifle primers but I have seen some data using SP primers also. any thoughts on that? Thanks
Old March 4, 2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The powder manufacturer is a good place to get data.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Use the primer type specified in official load data, not what some guy on the internet says he uses. Some official data may differ, but use the primer type used in your data source. Particularly until you have a solid understanding of the difference and consequences of making changes.
Old March 4, 2011, 12:19 PM   #3
Clark

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

After much experimentation from scratch, I have come up with these useful and powerful load for the 32 S&W Long:

6.5 gr 800X 85 gr Hornady, 1.29"
13 gr LIL'GUN 85 gr HNDY, 1.29"

Those should also be excellent loads for the 327 Federal.
Old March 4, 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
After much experimentation from scratch, I have come up with these useful and powerful load for the 32 S&W Long:

6.5 gr 800X 85 gr Hornady, 1.29"
13 gr LIL'GUN 85 gr HNDY, 1.29"
I have no idea how you managed to fit 13 gr of Lil'Gun in a .32 S&W Long case - and how you're not blowing primers with that load.

The Lil'Gun load posted by Clark should be reduced substantially, for anyone wanting to work up to what's posted. (I'm not saying it's a bad load - just that 13.0 gr is over published max loads for the .32 H&R. -And my own experience says that is a very hot load.)

Coop2564-
Check Hodgdon's data (online or buy their periodical-style manual at a news stand). They have a fair amount of data for .32 H&R and .327 Federal.

We also had a running thread on the .327 in this forum. Some of our personal loads are posted there.

For most .327 loads, you're definitely going to want to use small rifle primers. If you find data for small pistol primers, use them. In general, though, the .327 requires small rifle primers. The small pistol primers simply can't handle the pressure of real .327 loads.
Old March 4, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5
coop2564

Thx, I have the SR primers and 100gr XTP's. I did do a search and found some of the older threads....exited about new gun I plan to work up some loads tonight and try them tomorrow at range. By the way got new midway reload catalog with order a few days ago and midway is now showing brass for the .327 fed mag...not on their site yet but if anyone needs some might give them a call. I have a couple hundred cases from fed AE factory shells I bought and shot so dont need any right now.
Old March 4, 2011, 09:19 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Quote:
By the way got new midway reload catalog with order a few days ago and midway is now showing brass for the .327 fed mag...not on their site yet but if anyone needs some might give them a call.
Federal pulled the plug on that brass. Don't expect it to show up any time this year.
Old March 5, 2011, 12:33 AM   #7
Sevens

Quote:
For most .327 loads, you're definitely going to want to use small rifle primers. If you find data for small pistol primers, use them. In general, though, the .327 requires small rifle primers. The small pistol primers simply can't handle the pressure of real .327 loads.
I just wanted to re-post this so it gets noticed. Ben at ATK told me that all factory .327 Federal Mag is also loaded with small rifle primers, so it makes sense to make all your loads use them regardless of what the data reads. (with due cautions regarding not starting at max, etc)

Also, load data from Clark should be used for entertainment purposes only, and not for real use in any firearms that you care about. Remember that this guy does the lion's share of his shooting with a string tied to the trigger, gun in a vise while he stands behind a cinder block wall!

(love reading about his experiments, though)
Old March 5, 2011, 09:15 PM   #8
coop2564

Had two loads today one at 12.5 grs h110 SR win primers 100gr xtp....one at 13 grs same other. 12.5 was flawless had one split case with 13gr and one primer failure FTF. out of 25 at 13gr and 50 at 12.5gr. Both loads grouped well. Not sure what caused split case...was using Lee perfect powder measurer it might have dumped to much, weighed powder about every 7-8 rounds a couple of times its was a little long. Gun shot very well and is really smoothing out with about 400rds now. Think I will stick with the 12.5 grs it performed very well.