The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 2, 2009, 10:56 PM   #1
onlyme

Just Wondering...

Fairly new here and do know a "little" about guns but have a few major questions for someone who might be able to help me figure out some info on some family heirlooms. They are Stevens Shotguns, if you guys have any clue, I would be very greatful for any info I can get.
Old October 3, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
PetahW

I'm sure someone could help, but you first have to help yourself.

In the "Research" section of this forum, it would be best to give a full description of each gun, to include chambering, barrel length, stock config, finish type, and remaining % of original issue condition ( not simply "good" or "excellent" condition).

Posting pics for each gun would help enormously - as would a description or pic of any factory stampings and markings on the actions, barrels, and hidden barrel undersides.

Before you do all that, however, it would be only fair to tell you that there's scanty factory info available on Stevens shotguns, and even less collector interest.

With all the work of pics/posting, though, you MIGHT be able to get a rough estimate/timeframe of manufacture - and certainly a Stevens Arms & Tool Co background, since they've made shotguns since at least 1875.

Last edited by PetahW; October 3, 2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old October 3, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Buzzcook

Stevens shotguns tend to be well made and good shooters. They also don't tend to have a high resale value.
Give as full a description as you can and post some pictures.
Old October 3, 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I have an old 520 Series Stevens Pump Shotgun that I think I may have paid $40 for and the most I have seen them go for was $170. Good old gun but there are a lot of them out there and not much collector interest.

You might want to contact somebody at Savage for information about your particular guns. I'm guessing that they might have a site where the information you want is already listed.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old October 3, 2009, 10:26 PM   #5
gyvel

Quote:
I have an old 520 Series Stevens Pump Shotgun that I think I may have paid $40 for and the most I have seen them go for was $170. Good old gun but there are a lot of them out there and not much collector interest.
There is some collector interest in 520's because they were designed by John M. Browning. In fact, if you've ever taken one apart, you can see a definite family resemblance to an A-5.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:25 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is my understanding that the modern Savage company has no archives or records of the previous company, but IIRC someone was acting as historian. Maybe someone will come up with a name.

In any case, very few Stevens, Savage or Fox Model B shotguns have any value beyond hunting guns; they generally run around $100-250 depending on action and model.

Jim