The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 18, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Bomani Chisulo

Will my hunting/fishing license transfer to another state when I move?

Moving from Maine to Kentucky, I have a life long Native American hunting/fishing license and I'm curious will it be transferred so I'll just have to exchange it or will I have to go take a hunters safety course and buy a new license? I'm 17
Old November 18, 2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Chaz88

You should not have to take the hunter safety course again. If the license you have is issued by the state then you would need to get a new one in the next state. If the license is issued at the federal level then I do not know.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 18, 2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You may want to call the neighboring States Attorney General Office where you intend on taking up new residency. Pose that question to them.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; November 18, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old November 18, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Doyle

I just did some Googling. Native American licenses are a state thing - only some states allow Native Americans to hunt and fish using this type of special free or reduced price license. Each issues its own and there doesn't seem to be any reciprocity except for perhaps bordering states.

So no, you won't be able to transfer your license. If KY doesn't have any kind of Native American licensing arrangement, you'll just have to get the normal white man's license. The previous responder is correct about your hunter safety course. Every state I've ever seen recognizes other state's hunter safety cards. So, at least you won't have to take that again.