The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 20, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Gun Storage Solution

Anyone here use rifle rods and can tell me about them before I purchase?
Old April 23, 2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Hardcase

I use them:

I think that's 26 rifles and shotguns on rods in a Bighorn 6039ECB. It allegedly holds 30 long guns and I was able to put 20 non-scoped guns in it with the factory shelves. Right now, I've got 34 rifles and shotguns on rifle rods in it with room for probably another ten.

It's easier to get a gun out than with the factory shelves because I can get to a gun in the back by just pulling out the guns directly in front of it. So, if I want to grab a shotgun (they're all in the back because of the barrel length), I can just pull out the three or four rifles in front of it, instead of having to empty an entire side of the safe.

The carpeting in the safe works just fine with the velcro on top of the rods, so I didn't need to use the loop fabric that came with the starter kit. That's a good thing to know, because it'll save a few bucks if you just buy several add-on packs instead of the starter kit.

And that leads to the one downside to the rods - they're expensive, something like $3.00 to $4.00 each. It's just a nylon stick, basically, with a velcro tab on top, so I think that they're more expensive than they should be. But the convenience outweighed the cost - and it's cheaper than a new safe.

The rifles in the safe range from .22 to 12 gauge shotguns. They make a thinner rod for sub-.22 caliber rifles.