The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 23, 2007, 05:27 PM   #1
YounGun24

Stupid Question: holster required for pocket carry?

Hey everyone, just got my CCW permit in the mail today (Florida non-resident permit). I was about to head out on an errand, and figured I'd drop my .380 in my inside jacket pocket. I was wondering if you are legally required to have your gun in a holster when carrying? And if so, do you have to have a pocket holster for pocket carry? quick responses appreciated!
Old November 23, 2007, 05:33 PM   #2
DonR101395

Take a look through here. I didn't see it addressed, but I wouldn't carry it without a holster. That's just me.

http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook04.pdf
Old November 23, 2007, 05:34 PM   #3
38splfan

Pocket carry.

Legally you'd have to check with your state, but you really should have a pocket holster.

A pocket holster does a few important things when carrying a pocket pistol:

-It breaks up the outline of the pistol in your pocket.
-It provides some protection against accidental discharge buy keeping things away from the trigger.
-It helps prevent pocket sag, especially in light jackets/trousers.
-It protects your gun's finish from sweat and pocket scratches.
-It helps keep dirt and lint out of your gun's action and internals.

These reasons make a pocket holster cheap insurance.
Old November 23, 2007, 05:36 PM   #4
RJay

It is not required to be in a holster, however a pocket holster is recommended to keep it easily assessable and grip up, and to keep keys and other pocked items away from the trigger. A discharge in your pocket when you are pulling out your car keys can ruin your day.
Old November 24, 2007, 01:58 AM   #5
GLP Standard

Use a pocket holster. Anyone that doesnt is an idiot IMHO. Just my $.02 worth.
Old November 24, 2007, 02:18 AM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

I have carried a gun in a coat pocket without a holster. The DA trigger pull on this particular gun has got to be around 20lbs and when I carry it without a holster I also use the manual safety. I certainly wouldn't carry a Glock without a holster.

Pants pockets are another story, you need the pocket holster to help conceal the outline and also to keep the gun in the correct position.
Old November 24, 2007, 07:59 AM   #7
Tanzer

Quote:
-It breaks up the outline of the pistol in your pocket.
-It provides some protection against accidental discharge buy keeping things away from the trigger.
-It helps prevent pocket sag, especially in light jackets/trousers.
-It protects your gun's finish from sweat and pocket scratches.
-It helps keep dirt and lint out of your gun's action and internals.
Good points here along with those made by others. Now for a little personal preference/opinion;
When I pocket carry, I use a loose fitting holster with a loose fitting retaining strap. Afterall, the idea is to pull a gun out of your pocket, not a snug fitting, high quality piece of leather with a gun inside it - now you need two hands and two more seconds to make ready. When you carry by other methods, your holster is anchored, so you pull and out comes a firearm. Of course, some pocket holsters are designed to anchor inside the pocket. If you can go that route, do so.
Old November 24, 2007, 11:18 PM   #8
mountainclmbr

I carry a Kahr MK40 with a right-front pocket leather holster by Don Hume. Initially it was a tight fit, but after a while it fit only snugly. If I pull the gun, it will pull out of the holster now.

I have two young dogs that are each about 65 lbs. They will jump up when I come home and sometimes try to use their claws to beg for attention. On several occasions they have caught the edge of my holster with their claws through my clothing. It would be easy for this behavior to snag the trigger of an unholstered handgun that did not have a regular safety.

I am working on the dogs behavior, but I would never trust most handguns carried without a holster even after I get the dogs trained.
Old November 24, 2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Rob Pincus

Color me idiot, I guess, GLP... I sometimes carry a J-frame 642 without a holster.

That being said, I generally wouldn't carry a semi-auto without holster of some kind and most often carry even the J-frame in an Aker pocket holster.

-RJP
Old November 24, 2007, 11:50 PM   #10
Mike in VA

What 38splfan said. especially about covering the trigger and keeping crud out of the mechanism.
Old November 25, 2007, 01:49 AM   #11
rb4browns

Quote:
Color me idiot, I guess, GLP... I sometimes carry a J-frame 642 without a holster.

That being said, I generally wouldn't carry a semi-auto without holster of some kind and most often carry even the J-frame in an Aker pocket holster.

-RJP
I don't think you are an idiot but not sure why you wouldn't use a pocket holster. My Bob Mika holster (I also carry a 642) cost me all of $20 and serves to break up the outline of the gun, keeps it from floating around into different positions in my pocket, keeps the trigger covered and keeps stuff out of the innards of the gun (pocket lint, etc).
Old November 25, 2007, 02:00 AM   #12
GLP Standard

You know I guess if you don't put anything in your pocket with the weapon (that would be stupid, but everyone makes mistakes) you wont have a chance of a negligent discharge. I just figure better safe than sorry. That would be like me leaving a loaded weapon, ready to fire on my nightstand when I sleep. I wouldn't do that either. If the trigger to a loaded weapon isnt secured in some fashion, I just don't feel comfortable. Call me paranoid, but whatever. Im confident in my abilities, but anything can happen, and people brought up a very good point of the gun floating around in your pocket, changing positions, and the outline being apparant. What happens if the weapon floats around and ends up facing muzzle up? You reach in your pocket to defend yourself, and you potentially shoot yourself in the process...
Old November 25, 2007, 11:22 AM   #13
Rob Pincus

Everything both of you said is spot on... but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that there are times when I've just kept the revolver in the pocket and driven on. Upon further reflection, I've carried an NAA without a pocket holster several times as well... particularly when I was in uniformed LE, in my left pocket.

There are times when the particular pocket tends to keep the gun oriented properly and is a little too small to accommodate a pocket holster..... however, all things being equal, the holster is a better way to go....
Old November 25, 2007, 11:56 AM   #14
M1911

Use a pocket holster. Most importantly, it reduces the possibility of an ND.
Old November 25, 2007, 05:46 PM   #15
velocette

Use a holster. Buy a Mika pocket holster

They're less than $20.00 and worth three times their price.
google Robert Mika, former LAPD officer that makes pocket holsters of great quality for little cash. I have them for my J frame, Seecamp, Beretta 21a and had one for my PPKs. All were quite good and better than the competiton at three times the price.

Roger
Old November 26, 2007, 02:20 AM   #16
tegemu

I use a Sam Andrews www.andrewsleather.com pocket holster and my pistol never goes into my pocket without being holstered!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 26, 2007, 04:21 PM   #17
Shamalama

Use a holster.
Use a holster.
Use a holster.

In Georgia it's the law.
Old November 26, 2007, 05:38 PM   #18
obiwan1

It's not addressed in Florida law so it's not necessary. I'd still use one (and do use one).
Old November 26, 2007, 07:15 PM   #19
JN01

Pocket holsters also help distribute the weight of the gun so it's less likely the muzzle will poke a hole in your pocket lining.
Old November 26, 2007, 07:15 PM   #20
Charles S

I have a close personal friend who had a ND down his leg while carrying a Kel-Tec P32 in a pocket with loose change. Fortunately he was not badly injured but ended up with a burn and a very significant deep bruise on his thigh.

Needless to say the store clerk was quite alarmed the tile at his foot was quite damaged and my friend was quite embarrassed. To this day he no longer carries in his pocket.

I highly recommend a pocket holster for pocket carry, that and there should IMHO be nothing else beside the gun in the pocket.
Old November 26, 2007, 11:01 PM   #21
rb4browns

Quote:
They're less than $20.00 and worth three times their price.
google Robert Mika, former LAPD officer that makes pocket holsters of great quality for little cash. I have them for my J frame, Seecamp, Beretta 21a and had one for my PPKs. All were quite good and better than the competiton at three times the price.
I'm not one to go pimping everything I've bought, but I highly recommend Bob Mika's holsters as well. I look at all of these holsters for sale twice what he charged me ($20 shipped) for my pocket holster. He'll ship you a hand made holster custom made to fit your gun and pocket. Mine came about 10 days after I ordered. His email is [email protected]. And no I am not getting a kickback for this!
Old November 26, 2007, 11:13 PM   #22
Wildalaska

I carry my Seecamp back pocket and use a Holster to ensure the grip stays up (and to hide the print)..

Many times Ive shoved a1911 into my pants, or a revolver in a coat pocket, or an NAA mini in wherever.....all without a holster.

WilddependsonthegunsAlaska TM