The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 25, 2015, 04:03 PM   #1
coyotewsm

Need help bullet stuck

Went hunting this afternoon loaded my gun went to chber the round and the bolt was hard to close. Wanted to make sure everything was ok so I opened the bolt and extracted the shell without the bullet. The bullet is stuck in the throat what do I do?
Old October 25, 2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Dragonflydf

knock it out with a rod
Old October 25, 2015, 05:22 PM   #3
BumbleBug

Knocking it out with a cleaning rod is the best way, but if you are in the wild & are stuck...

Assuming that ammo is safe in that gun, take another loaded round & loosen the bullet by wiggling it in the muzzle. Once loose carefully remove the bullet so as to not to spill the powder. Holding everything straight up, push the bulletless case back into battery & fire the stuck bullet out into the ground. I had to do it once & I was glad I remembered the trick & it salvaged my hunt.

FWIW...
Old October 25, 2015, 05:42 PM   #4
coyotewsm

Wasn't able to save the hunt but knocked it with a rod.
Old October 26, 2015, 12:06 PM   #5
g.willikers

When in doubt, just get a bigger hammer.
Old October 26, 2015, 12:26 PM   #6
wogpotter

Another thing against boresnakes. You can't push with a pull through.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old October 26, 2015, 09:21 PM   #7
Mobuck

Sounds like you need to double check the OAL of that ammo. I had the same thing happen 3 years ago. I fired 3 shots at a buck(killed him all 3 times) but when I unloaded the last round, it left the bullet stuck in the lands and dumped powder in the chamber/magazine. I found that the rest of that box of ammo was over length. Not sure how that happened but it had to be my fault.
Old October 26, 2015, 10:54 PM   #8
tangolima

You probably can't save the hunt anyway. There must be a reason the action couldn't be closed in the first place. The rounds had been loaded too long; brass sized too long and bullet seated too high.

I use pull through to clean guns at home, not in the range or in the field. I have a set of cheap break-down rod in my pack. Not for cleaning, but for occasion such as this.

-TL
Old October 26, 2015, 11:19 PM   #9
burrhead

At the beginning of deer season I load up 20 of my go-to hunting rounds and cycle each one of them through the action. Just one more thing I don't have to worry about.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 27, 2015, 04:28 AM   #10
Old Stony

I worked up a nice load for a rifle once and drove to Wyoming on an antelope hunt. Went to load the rifle and the ammo was seated out too long to fit into the box magazine. I used the butt end of a knife to slightly blunt the tips of the bullets and had a successful hunt, but I guess there is something to say for running your ammo through the action before you go hunting. My ammo for that trip was just loaded single shot into the chamber at the range with no thought to the magazine. We live and learn....hopefully...
Old October 27, 2015, 07:51 AM   #11
RKG

Quote:
Assuming that ammo is safe in that gun, take another loaded round & loosen the bullet by wiggling it in the muzzle. Once loose carefully remove the bullet so as to not to spill the powder. Holding everything straight up, push the bulletless case back into battery & fire the stuck bullet out into the ground. I had to do it once & I was glad I remembered the trick & it salvaged my hunt.
I wouldn't do this. It is axiomatic that seating a bullet into the lands increases the peak chamber pressure of any load -- on account of the drastically increased effective inertia required to start the bullet moving, which, in turn, is required to start expansion of the combustion chamber volume, which reduces pressure.

By definition, the "stuck" bullet didn't travel far down the bore, so removing it via a cleaning rod down the muzzle should be a simple operation.
Old October 27, 2015, 08:04 AM   #12
g.willikers

How about not using the full powder load?
It wouldn't take too much powder for the bullet to just exit the barrel, would it?
Not everyone carries a cleaning rod into the field.
Old October 27, 2015, 08:52 AM   #13
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
...opened the bolt and extracted the shell without the bullet.
The bullet is stuck in the throat ....
The OP has already solved the problem (once home), but it points out the general
rule to carry a broken-down cleaning rod on any field excursion -- if for nothing
else to clean the mud out of the muzzle when you somehow stick it into the ground.
Old October 27, 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, RKG,

It might be axiomatic, but it is not really true. For many years target shooters have found that seating the bullet out so it contacts the lands gives best accuracy. So BumbleBug's solution is perfectly feasible.

Jim
Old October 27, 2015, 03:09 PM   #15
Erno86

Poring a bit of oil down the bore from the muzzle end will ease the process of knocking it out with a cleaning or squib rod --- Hold the muzzle vertical...then drop the squib rod down from about a foot above the squib --- letting gravity do the work.

--- George Orwell
Old October 27, 2015, 04:29 PM   #16
BumbleBug

Here is a tip I heard...

I've never tried this, but I heard that you can carry a 3" brass rod slightly smaller than the bore with the edges polished smooth. By dropping it repeatedly from muzzle to bullet tip, the force magnified by inertia will knock the bullet free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
It might be axiomatic, but it is not really true. For many years target shooters have found that seating the bullet out so it contacts the lands gives best accuracy. So BumbleBug's solution is perfectly feasible.
Getting a bullet stuck has happened only once in my life. The only reason I can figure is that I didn't fully push the handle down when bullet seating. It wouldn't take much since I always seat just off the lands as particular to what each gun likes. I heard the tip about shooting the bullet out & so I tried it & had no problems. I mentioned it to a friend & a day came when it happened to him. He also shot the bullet out with no problem. Without any freebore I'm sure pressure will be slightly higher, but unless your load is already on the edge of bursting, I believe the practice is safe.

JIMHO...

Last edited by BumbleBug; October 27, 2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old October 28, 2015, 09:02 AM   #17
RKG

Quote:
It is true that some bench resters seat bullets to "touch" or even "jam." And it is true that some (but by no means all) rifles shoot more accurately that way. However, when bench resters do this, they adjust their load to keep pressure where it should be.

In this case, we have a fellow proposing to use a "jump" powder load with a "touch" or "jam" bullet seating, and it is indeed axiomatic that peak chamber pressure will be higher than if the same load were fired with a spec "jump" seating depth. It has also been demonstrated empirically that these pressure spikes can be substantial enough to pose a danger to the shooter (and the rifle).
Old October 28, 2015, 10:20 AM   #18
kilimanjaro

When all else fails, blast!

You can borrow a buddy's rifle for that hunting shot.

Do NOT try and shoot the bullet out with a filled case from another round. It's just possible you've got an oversize bullet stuck in your chamber, either got mixed in at the factory or on your loading bench. Either way, you can blow your rifle up and seriously hurt yourself or a friend trying to get it out by blasting.
Old October 28, 2015, 06:40 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

In spite of the "scream" folks, it is perfectly safe to shoot out a barrel obstruction, even one farther up in the barrel, but NOT WITH A BULLET!!!

Most folks, experiencing a stuck bullet from a squib load, or a stuck "snake", will try to drive it out. After messing things up and maybe ruining the barrel, they take it to a gunsmith who does magic, but won't say how he got out the obstruction. In fact, he probably used a half charge of powder with no bullet and simply shot the obstruction out. Of course, if the second round has a bullet in it, the result will be a bulged or burst barrel, so NO BULLET!!!

Jim
Old October 28, 2015, 08:19 PM   #20
rtpzwms

Quote:
Do NOT try and shoot the bullet out with a filled case from another round.
Good Advice
Quote:
In spite of the "scream" folks, it is perfectly safe to shoot out a barrel obstruction, even one farther up in the barrel, but NOT WITH A BULLET!!!
Not the best idea. The loader already made one mistake that's been identified. What happens if there is a second issue? The safe play is to stop and be safe. Remove the obstruction with a rod is the best choice.
Old October 28, 2015, 08:28 PM   #21
Bill DeShivs

What happens if he gets struck by a meteor?
Old October 28, 2015, 08:33 PM   #22
kilimanjaro

Then he won't have anything to worry about at all.
Old October 28, 2015, 09:36 PM   #23
BumbleBug

Best choice...

Although it doesn't answer the OP question, the best bet is to always cycle all hunting loads through you rifle (magazine & chamber) in camp before the hunt. Keep a rod in camp & the issue is then rendered moot.

JIMHO
Old October 30, 2015, 09:10 PM   #24
Drm50

After jacking a round out of a 375 H&H and having action full of Powder and
bullet left in chamber I had to go back to camp and push out with Rod. After
that I made brass "plugs" to slide down barrel to knock out bullets. Made them
loose enough to slide easy and turned ends round. Made them same length as
cartridge. This makes them easy to carry while hunting if it ever happened
again. On cals less than 30 they don't work to good, not enough weight.