The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 13, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
J270

buckshot for deer ?

Any body hunt deer with buckshot? And if so at what range will it be effective.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:04 PM   #2
jmr40

I have hunted with it years ago when the only gun I had was a SXS double. Never killed anything with it, and would generally advise not to use it. It will kill deer at ranges up to 40-50 yards if you get lucky. I would feel better at about 1/2 that.

About the only place I'd use it is in a few places were deer are run with dogs. In fact it is required by many who do this. Shots are fast and close and the buckshot is less dangerous for dogs and other hunters who may be driving the deer towards the hunters in stands.
Old August 13, 2014, 10:42 PM   #3
dogrunner

Good wounder....usually VERY little blood trail. I once hit a good buck three times, first in the front of his chest when he got tangled in briers, second round was broadside at no more than 35 yards, last was when he hit a narrow sand trail. That second shot actually put him on his left side & I thought that was it when he lunged up and took off again. Last shot was at perhaps 50 yards. Actually saw hair fly on that last round!

The ammo was .12 2&3/4 00, for what it's worth.

We were running dogs but there was utterly no blood left whatsoever and the area is so thick and full of deer that we never could recover him..

I still take that old A/5, but the first round up is a slug then buck. Give me a choice and I'll grab my '06 BAR every time tho.

Incidentally, I immediately bought a rifled Hastings bbl for that Browning following that incident, just for those shotgun only areas that'l allow slugs..........now THAT is a stopper!
Old August 14, 2014, 07:05 AM   #4
mete

Those who are knowledgeble recommend 25 yds MAX.
Old August 14, 2014, 08:41 AM   #5
natman

Quote:
And if so at what range will it be effective.
Short.
Old August 14, 2014, 12:12 PM   #6
JD0x0

Bigger pellets will increase range slightly
000 or 0000 buck for example.

The problem with pellets and getting ethical kills, is that they are very light for caliber, and once they're not grouped in a wad anymore, penetration tends to be poor. That's also on top of the fact that pellets have very bad ballistic coefficients, which means they lose velocity extremely quickly over a short range. Heavier pellets (000-0000) tend to retain their velocity better, and also as you increase round ball size, sectional density increases, and therefore penetration can increase.
SD of 00 buck = .071
000 buck = .077
0000 buck = .084

for reference..
9mmx19 124 grain = .141
.32 acp 73 grain = .107
Old August 14, 2014, 12:49 PM   #7
publius

I'm with mete, if you are dead set on using it, limit to 25 yards
Old August 14, 2014, 05:34 PM   #8
jakemonroe

its one of those things like using a 223 its not a question of if it will kill its using it within its capabilities. if you pattern your gun well and use the heaviest loads it could work to forty yards. i wouldn't use anything other "smaller" then a 3 inch load of 00. iv used it to kill pigs at close range and it smacks em under 20 but past that my advice is just speculation haha
Old August 14, 2014, 06:41 PM   #9
NHSHOOTER

I have wounded and lost a few deer using buckshot in my younger more inexperienced days, I have killed I think 1 at about 30 yds with 3"mag 000 buck, small buck ran across in front of me and I shot him like he was a duck, he was dead when I pulled the trigger. Like I said, that was long ago and I no longer use buckshot, slug barrel with a 2 power scope or a rifle. If you are going to use it, as stated, pattern your gun and use the biggest buckshot you can find. I still have some 3" 000 15 pellets to a load. Deadly for home defense!!!
Old August 14, 2014, 07:43 PM   #10
jeager106

Pattern, pattern, pattern.
pattern the s.g. with the chosen buck load.

I spent some time in the south where deer hunting is buckshot only.
Hunting with dogs is allowed. I spoke with many southerners and learned a great deal from them.

I'm sure anyone that patterns the s.g. with buck will see that effective range
is around 25 to 35 yards depending upon the choke, gauge, & load.
50 yards is really, really, iffy & the animal deserves better.
I'd shun anything smaller than 00 buck & then I'd want 3" magnums in the 12 bore.
I only took one deer with buck and it was a dumb luck kill.
I was young, didn't know much, took a 50 ish yard at a doe facing me with a 3" mag load of 00.
One pellet hit just under the chin & broke it's neck, dropping it d.r.t.
The only other mark on the critter was in the front hoof.
Old August 14, 2014, 08:33 PM   #11
Gunplummer

I used it once and it sucks. I was at a relatives house and the neighborhood was putting on a swamp drive. All I had in the truck was a s/s shotgun, some slugs, and 00 buckshot. It was decided that I would be a stander and buckshot would be good on moving deer. I shot at a doe about 30 yards out that had stopped. The doe turned her head and looked at me and took off. The next year my brother-in-law shot a large doe with the bow in the same corner. It had pellets in the right side from the neck to half way back. The pellets made it through the hide and stopped at the meat. The hide healed over the pellets. Had to be the same deer. This was in the mountains and nobody uses a shotgun up there. I would have to be REAL close to use buck again.
Old August 14, 2014, 08:35 PM   #12
idek

It looks like the company has halted production temporarily, but DixeSlugs makes what they call a Tri-Ball load--three .600" 315-grain balls in a 3" or 3.5" shell.

Sectional density of these would be .125.

They are supposed to group much tighter than standard buckshot.

I don't know that they would have any advantage over slugs, but legally they are considered buckshot, so they can be used in a few places or situations where slugs are forbidden.
Old August 14, 2014, 09:32 PM   #13
mxsailor803

I've used it for 20+ years and will continue to use it. 50yds is very doable as long as the shooter is comfortable shooting at a moving target and the shotgun holds a good enough pattern. If I was in dog drive, I would usually use a Mod choke but if I'm a stander and have the room, I would screw in a Extra Turkey Full. Those of us from the south east that dog drive regularly have been using it forever.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:58 AM   #14
Saltydog235

Pattern it and see what works for your gun. I've killed deer at 50-60yds with No.1 buck. Wiped out a bunch of pigs a couple years back at 30-40yds with a combo of #1 and #4. Deer hit with buckshot are almost assuredly going to run, they are in a flight mode already with adrenaline coursing. Seldom do they go down immediately. I've killed one deer with buck that dropped instantly and she didn't have much of a head left.
Old August 15, 2014, 11:34 AM   #15
Roadkill2228

If you are able to use ANYTHING else besides buckshot, the ethical choice would be to take it. Hunting big game of any sort should be about 1 well placed shot. Yes I know you can figure out how buckshot patterns but its still largely a game of chance, pulling the trigger and hoping some of them hit the right place. I would argue that your effective range (guaranteed effective, not "it could work") is less than a good archery set up, and if it were me and I had to choose between buckshot and a .22 mag I would pick the .22 because I I do my part and the rifle is accurate I can KNOW with no uncertainty that I can drop that deer. Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if a .22lr out penetrates the day lights out of buckshot
Old August 15, 2014, 12:12 PM   #16
JD0x0

Quote:
Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if a .22lr out penetrates the day lights out of buckshot
I wouldn't be surprised either. a 40 grain .22LR has a SD of .114 which is significantly higher than 0000 Buckshot, which is the best you can do besides that tri-ball stuff.

A hypervelocity .22LR round will leave the muzzle at roughly the same speed as a typical 'magnum' 00 buckshot load. If we assume neither of these projectiles will expand, the higher sectional density projectile should penetrate further, at the same impact velocity compared to a projectile with a lower SD.

How much further would the .22 penetrate? not sure, but it should be a measurable difference.
Old August 15, 2014, 01:20 PM   #17
Roadkill2228

Now you've got me thinking I better actually test this. I have buckshot (00, 9 pellet, 1250 fps) and I have .22 (Winchester wildcat 40 grain rn). So next time I go shooting I will test them on a few different things
Old August 15, 2014, 03:47 PM   #18
Barnacle Brad

Sure glad we never had to depend on the penetration abilities of round balls in our history.

Buck shot is fine as long as you are shooting within the limitations of it. Shoot for head neck and if they keep going, shoot again!

I like the shotgun for tight cover situations where you can't see the deer until you are practically standing on it.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:23 PM   #19
Roadkill2228

Haha, I like that. Very witty sir, but point made about the round balls. That being said there's a reason we don't depend on them anymore...the rifle is just so much more effective in every regard (though I do get the application for super close "standing on it" situations). Buckshot will certainly kill but again, if you have access to something better, why not eliminate that chance factor by a significant margin?.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:47 PM   #20
natman

Quote:
Sure glad we never had to depend on the penetration abilities of round balls in our history.
I get your point, but just because round balls were used in muskets 200 years ago doesn't make them a good choice now. Believe it or not there have been some technological improvements in the last two centuries and there are far better alternatives available now.

We have flush toilets and electricity now too. I know they got along without them once upon a time, but I'm not giving them up, thanks.
Old August 15, 2014, 07:55 PM   #21
JD0x0

Point taken... but on the other hand, there's quite a bit of difference in mass (and sectional density) between 8.38mm 00 buck pellets and 13-20mm musket balls.

.678 cal 480 grains SD = .149

SD of 00 buck = .071
Old August 15, 2014, 11:52 PM   #22
Barnacle Brad

Point taken but go figure...
I am not comparing musket balls to buckshot any more that there is roundness and velocity involved!

The more you guys talk about sectional densities and what not, the more I think you have no real world experience with it. All it takes is one pellet to take down a deer. That one pellet is lethal as much as any other DRT round you can deliver. Wow! Get over it!!!

Yeah but...please don't raise the bar and go there. Within it's limits it is a killer - else it wouldn't be an option.
Old August 16, 2014, 01:11 PM   #23
natman

Quote:
I am not comparing musket balls to buckshot any more that there is roundness and velocity involved!
Then your comparison is pretty pointless.

Quote:
The more you guys talk about sectional densities and what not, the more I think you have no real world experience with it. All it takes is one pellet to take down a deer. That one pellet is lethal as much as any other DRT round you can deliver. Wow! Get over it!!!

Yeah but...please don't raise the bar and go there. Within it's limits it is a killer - else it wouldn't be an option.
Sorry if talking about sectional density is too much like book larnin' for you, but that doesn't make the sectional density deficiencies of buckshot any less true. Sure buckshot can be lethal within its limits, but the point - which you seem determined to ignore - is that its limits are extremely short, especially compared to more modern alternatives.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:15 PM   #24
pathdoc

Or even much older but significantly larger alternatives.
Old August 16, 2014, 08:02 PM   #25
Deja vu

I once killed a medium sized 6 point mule deer with a round of Dixie triball 3inch.
The range was about 60 yards and it was DRT. As far as 00 or 000 buck goes I have never shot a deer with it.

Dixie triball is a great round. It has 3 60 caliber round balls that seem to hit like a sledge hammer.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...