The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2004, 08:45 AM   #1
Bushwhacker

Hi-caps for Ruger 10/22

Is ruger planning on supplying hi cap mags when the AWB sunsets (dies a horrible death!)
Anyone heard anything?
What companies supply hi-caps for the 10/22?
I know about Butler Creek, are there any others?
Thanks...

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776
Old September 1, 2004, 09:35 AM   #2
Erich

Ruger never did. The Ram-Line 30-round mags were $6.95 or $7.95 apiece before the AWB. I'll bet we'll see them within a month, though they might be $12.95 now.
Old September 1, 2004, 04:46 PM   #3
rugerdude

I bought a ramline 25 rd. for 30 bucks, it was the best price I had ever heard of at the time. It may be plastic but it hasn't failed me yet, not once.
Old September 1, 2004, 05:10 PM   #4
Erich

Tamara, you were selling back then, weren't you? I'd been out of the racket for a few years at that point . . . how much were these?
Old September 1, 2004, 06:33 PM   #5
Casp_A

Butler Creek and Ramline. Ramline made mags all the way up to 50 rounders. I have some experience with a Butler Creek 25 round mag and didn't like it, it didn't seem to lock very securely into place. Not sure how well the Ramlines are in that respect. I really don't know any prices, sorry.

Actually, I also saw this odd thing somewhere on the net some time ago, not sure what kind of mag that is:

Old September 6, 2004, 08:22 PM   #6
Colt45GCNM

Don't get the plastic lipped ones..

I've got a butler creek 25 rounder that the lips are GONE on it, the ammo simply stands to attention and salutes when you insert it into the mag, was quite upsetting for the last few years, but in a few day's I'll be happy as can be (perhaps I can even get butler creek to repair that POS) Lesson to be learned here: Buy a mag with metal lips they'll never wear out. To be fair however I did probably put 15k-20k rounds through it before it went south...

Cheers,
Colt45GCNM
Old September 7, 2004, 09:56 AM   #7
Edward429451

I've had some Eagle 30 rounders for....along time now. They're better than the BC's. They don't seem to wear as fast. They do though. The drawback to the Eagles is that they're single stack so long.

Nothing beats the Ruger factory mags. I don't even hardly use the high caps anymore. Bought extra factory mags and don't even miss the others. I might buy some more hi caps just to have but will likely continue to use the factorys.

I've used all (?) the hi caps over time and here's how they stacked up for me.

Eagles...Best
Butler Creek..OK
Ramline.....Poor
Old September 7, 2004, 07:44 PM   #8
mattjoe

thats a 50 round drum in that picture up there. They work great. Only difficulty with them is figuring out how to load them, as they come with no directions, and if you dont snap the back of it on right, it will pop off during shooting and the mag will fall out of the gun.
They come with this little plastic T shaped thing in the middle, you pop the back off, take it out, use it like a key around this coiled spring, and wind it, as you wind it, stuff the rounds in their little slots. Last like 3 or 4 you stuff in through the top, one, twist the key a little, stick another round in, and so on.
If they fall back below $80 in a week, i'm going to buy a handful. For now, i'll have to make due with only one.
Old September 7, 2004, 10:23 PM   #9
ACP230

I had a Ramline that choked almost as soon as I started using it.
Just before Bill (Prevaricator In Chief) Clinton's '94 ban took effect I bought several Butler Creek 25 rounders. Even though they are the plastic lipped mags, I had no trouble with them so far.

I'll probably buy some more after the ban dies.

I called Washington today and Tom Delay's office, Speaker Hastert's office and Sen. Majority Leader Frist's office all seemed to think the AWB was going the way of the buffalo. "We're getting lots of calls," one staffer said.
Old September 7, 2004, 10:33 PM   #10
jefnvk

Buying hi-caps and a folding stock. Maybe even a red-dot. Its gonna be tacti-cool
Old September 8, 2004, 02:48 PM   #11
greg531mi

That was the Mitchell Drum mag, a teardrop, if you buy them new, they had directions in them, simple, wind it back, insert 5 rounds, release tenison, put in other 45 rounds...snap on cover...I bought mine for $16.95, a long time ago, and work better then my factory mags!!! Should have sold them for $150, at least that is what the dealer had them for on the table!!!