The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 9, 2012, 07:39 PM   #76
1Hobie

wasn't this about a thumb thingy?
Old May 9, 2012, 07:41 PM   #77
Amsdorf

Yes, go figure, but it tends to bring the old myths out of the woodwork and proves that in spite of all the facts to the contrary, some people are just determined to keep spreading myths, such as the Garand was never called the Garand by anyone until much later....etc. etc. etc.

Old May 9, 2012, 07:47 PM   #78
Sport45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hobie
wasn't this about a thumb thingy?
Yes. But he went wrong when he called it a Garand thumb instead of a M1 Thumb.

(At least that was what the malady was called when I first learned of it.)
Old May 9, 2012, 07:51 PM   #79
Amsdorf

There he goes again.

No offense, but frankly, I'll take Julian Hatcher's expertise any day over those claiming the Garand was never referred to as the Garand until much, much later. Just ain't true.
Old May 9, 2012, 08:21 PM   #80
Amsdorf

If I were a moderator on this forum, I'd say, stick a fork in this one, it's done.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:04 AM   #81
Sport45

I have no idea what they called the rifle in WWII. My dad used the '03A3 in basic and later qualified expert with the BAR. When I'm back home we have better things to talk about than what they called their service rifles then.

I was talking about pinching your thumb when you poke it into an action that hasn't been properly locked back. That was called M1 thumb when it was first described to me. The guy who told me about it wasn't a WWII vet, so maybe it doesn't count?

I do believe you won't get a M1, M14, M1a, or Garand thumb if you properly lock the bolt back before poking around inside an empty mag well or if you hold your thumb firmly on the top round and then pull it away smartly upon removal. At least no M1 I've handled would let the bolt fly home while my thumb was pressed down on the top cartridge. Having the back of your hand pressed against the bolt handle is added insurance.

Just relating my experience and couldn't care less when we started calling that particular rifle a Garand. I also don't worry about how to pronounce "Garand". I'm sure if he was alive he'd butcher my last name if he tried so I'll consider us even.
Old May 10, 2012, 03:09 AM   #82
gyvel

LOL!! According to Garand's descendants, and Julian Hatcher, the family name rhymed with "errand." (See wikipedia.)

Actually, it was Americanized when the family moved to the U.S. from Canada. (Garand was born in Canada.)

It is a very common name in France and Quebec, and is pronounced entirely different than any American pronunciation. (More like "gair-aw" with no specific accent.)

Also, in the early 60s when I was in mandatory ROTC in college, it was called "M1 thumb," as if hours of marching with that 9 pound anchor in the nice hot, humid Florida sun wasn't punishment enough.
Old May 10, 2012, 07:23 PM   #83
Amsdorf

The rifle was known as the Garand before, during and after WWII.

It was referred to as the M1, it's military designation.

And you will not get the "full smash" Garand/M1 thumb from loading it, only while doing something stupid with an empty magazine and open bolt.

Them's the facts. The facts, and notin' but the facts.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:06 AM   #84
1911Tuner

All Thumbs

"Garand Thumb" is real. I've seen it. It's also like lowering a hammer on a hot chamber. It can be done safely if done correctly. I've handled and fired a lot of Garands over the years, and my thumbs are fine.

When loading the clip or depressing the follower to let the bolt go home, place the back edge of your little finger into the curvature of the charge handle and keep it there while using your thumb. Depress/load until the bolt is released...and roll your hand forward and up. If your pinky is short, use the ring finger. Simple as that.

Most Garands that I've handled don't release the bolt suddenly when seating a clip. The majority of them won't go home at all until the charge handle is helped along after the clip seats.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:06 AM   #85
gyvel

Quote:
Most Garands that I've handled don't release the bolt suddenly when seating a clip. The majority of them won't go home at all until the charge handle is helped along after the clip seats.
Ah, but there's always that one...
Old May 11, 2012, 07:34 PM   #86
Chris_B

Hi all

I would like to point out again that the premise is not that "M1 thumb" is not a real thing. That's not the idea that was presented. Nobody has posted that M1 Thumb is a myth
Old May 11, 2012, 10:55 PM   #87
pvt.Long

There's always one time where the blot isn't locked back fully or your just not paying attention to what your doing, I even got garand thumb from my m1a(m14) one time, you don't forget it and it can turn your thumb and your language beautiful colors.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:31 PM   #88
1911Tuner

One

Quote:
Ah, but there's always that one...
And that's why we put the back edge of our little finger against the charging handle.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:13 PM   #89
PhillipM

Timing

1911Tuner wrote
Quote:
Most Garands that I've handled don't release the bolt suddenly when seating a clip.
If they don't release with a full clip, they have a timing problem.

https://www.standardpartsllc.com/pro...?idproduct=109

Old May 13, 2012, 09:03 PM   #90
Winchester_73

I remember the worst case of M1 grand carbine thumb I ever had was when I was shooting an 03 A3. Turns out when you close the bolt with your right hand, you should make sure you left hand's fingers are clear of the breech!
Old May 13, 2012, 09:37 PM   #91
Amsdorf

Wow, that had to hurt big time.
Old May 14, 2012, 05:29 PM   #92
Chris_B

Quote:
I remember the worst case of M1 grand carbine thumb I ever had was when I was shooting an 03 A3. Turns out when you close the bolt with your right hand, you should make sure you left hand's fingers are clear of the breech!
have to call that one something besides M1 thumb though. How about "Springfinger"?
Old May 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #93
Amsdorf

Or "1903 Thumb"
Old May 15, 2012, 04:42 PM   #94
Chris_B

"1903 thumb" really doesn't roll off the tongue gracefully.
Old May 15, 2012, 06:32 PM   #95
amd6547

"Dumb Thumb" rhymes nicely.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:30 PM   #96
Winchester_73

Hey kids, I was just mocking this whole thread! I was kidding!

Anyways, there is another gun that could really tear off a finger or three...

...the Egyptian Hakim. I don't have any kind of a story about it, because after I let it close once, I was extremely careful thereafter. It got my imagination going on what damage it could do. Anyone ever get their finger caught by one?
Old May 16, 2012, 04:43 PM   #97
Chris_B

Quote:
Hey kids, I was just mocking this whole thread! I was kidding!
I dunno, Win. An image of you with half a hand locked in an 03's breech is powerful and hard to let go
Old May 16, 2012, 07:57 PM   #98
Amsdorf

Actually, on another gun forum a guy did tell me, and he was not just BSing, that he did somehow manage to get a finger in the action on a 1903A3 and did himself a big disservice.