The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 2, 2011, 06:03 PM   #51
chack

I'm very pleased with my 1916. I like the FR 8 better though. I wouldn't shoot hot handloads or commercial ammo, but am not afraid to shoot any 7.62 NATO in it.
Old July 3, 2011, 02:40 AM   #52
Ignition Override

chack:

Some quite seasoned Mauser guys told me that converting from cup pressure to Saami psi involves a correction factor of about 10,000 psi.
Another problem is that many people fail to differentiate between the FR7 and FR8.

This is reportedly why NATO 7.62 is around 58,000 and commercial .308 is 62,000. Considering that test (proof) pressures were another 50% or so Higher, combined with the 8mm action, the FR8 should be safe with .308.
My FR8 has had very limited wear.

Even an article at "Surplusrifle": "The Spanish Mauser Inquisition" (by Trope and Jeo) mentions the FR8 at the top, but then only addresses the FR7 issues with any statistics. This contributed to the confusion.

My once-used .new .308 brass looks brand new. Even though the gun did not pass the gun smith's Go gauge, which is very common for the best NATO rifles, it passed my new Field gauge (from Numerich) quite well: the bolt barely turns at all.
With 41 gr. of IMR 4064 powder and 170 grain CMP Match bullets, these .308s have been reloaded three times -full length resizing- and the brass still looks/feels fine, even the internal paper clip test.
Old July 3, 2011, 07:37 AM   #53
TX Hunter

Whats the internal paper clip test? I test fired a nato 7.62 in my spanish mauser and the case looked good as well im going to shoot it this coming weekend and see where it hits. I would imagine it will hit high like my Yugo did before i replaced the front sight blade.
Old July 3, 2011, 12:58 PM   #54
Ignition Override

TX H.
Some people describe straightening out a paper clip, then making a tiny 90* angle (or so) short 'hook' on one end.
They insert it inside, to the bottom then pull slowly upwards, to try to feel for a tiny snag/wrinkle, which can indicate stress and imminent failure.

I've felt it several times on some military .303 cases, which had already been reloaded numerous times (5+...I had not marked them), and already showed a thin, pale whitish ring just above the head/rim.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 5, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Old July 21, 2011, 10:46 AM   #55
TX Hunter

i have had trouble loading picures, but have to report that this is the most accurate Mauser i have ever fired. It shoots to point of aim and carries well in the field. I bought some reloading components and plan to make some nice low pressure cartridges for it.