The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 28, 2010, 01:44 PM   #51
B. Lahey

Quote:
I bet you prefer Beaujolais et Brie to Reisling und Altenburger Ziegenkäse.

Don't you dare send me a pic of yourself in a beret and scarf
I do tend to prefer French wine over German. Cheese is a closer call, but I'm still leaning French.

But kraut guns still outnumber the French 2:1 in my collection. If you ever find a reasonably priced Manurhin revolver for me, they would draw even. Better get on that.
Old June 26, 2011, 09:01 PM   #52
White Tiger

B. Lahey - I appreciate the information you sought in this thread, I too stumbled accross this rifle quite by accident (while doing some research on DI) - my question is, now that you've had this rifle for a few months, are you still impressed?
Old June 27, 2011, 10:35 AM   #53
B. Lahey

Quote:
now that you've had this rifle for a few months, are you still impressed?
Yes, absolutely!

I enjoy this rifle immensely, it has been a joy to own.
Old August 6, 2011, 11:35 AM   #54
White Tiger

Ultimately decided on an SKS

B Lahey - I ultimately I figured out how much time I had, and decided it wasn't yet conducive to reloading for 7.5 French.

I decided A) The ammunition availability and the difficulty in finding proper brass, etc for reloading B) the extra weight of the rifle, C) Not to mention the cost of obtaining a MAS 49/56 was nearly $200 more than a SKS...I went with the SKS, for now.

I still have my eye on the MAS, and if I run across an original, chambered in 7.5 French, for anywhere near $200 to $300 - I'm going to buy it!

Until then, I'll be shooting Yugoslav surplus 7.62 x 39 through my unissued Yugoslav SKS...while looking for dummy-grenade launcher kits (...a more sophisticated potato gun)!
Old August 6, 2011, 07:54 PM   #55
B. Lahey

Better choice for a first rifle, really, White Tiger. If only because there will be plentiful advice if something doesn't go right. But don't forget the wonderful MAS-49 once you advance beyond the basics into the unusual.
Old August 7, 2011, 11:48 PM   #56
White Tiger

MAS 49 AND the SKS!

Absolutely - like I said, I've still got a soft spot in my heart for that MAS 49!