The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 7, 2010, 04:20 PM   #26
30cal_Fun

to me, it looks like something for a Mall Ninja... a scout set-up isn't really my taste either, but this is just plain overkill.

I have no intention to offend you, and I hope I didn't Benroe (if I did I apologize) and I'm sure it will work fine, but I like classic rifles like the mosin nagant as original as possible.
Old February 7, 2010, 06:02 PM   #27
SigP6Carry

The UTG rails really only have a place on the Mosins with the replacement stocks. You know the ones I mean. A tri-rail system and a mosin should not be mixed. Anything other than a scope you'd pop onto the rails also has no place on a Mosin.
Old February 7, 2010, 06:06 PM   #28
young mosin

why would a mosin need to be tacti-cool anyway?
Old February 7, 2010, 07:11 PM   #29
30cal_Fun

You're right about that Thomme.

good question Young Mosin; a lot of people like to "sporterize" old war horses, mostly so they can have a cost effective hunting rifle (especially because of all the surplus ammo), but still have modern advantages like a scope.
but some just seem to go berserk on their rifle, if you think thats the worst bubba can do, check out these ones below. yes, that's a mosin....

here is a whole thread about bubba'd mosins (edit: just checked, some pics don't work)
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Mosin-Nagants
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mosinzc5.jpg (148.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 200775235550_Tornado_silencer.jpg (21.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg finished.jpg (137.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by 30cal_Fun; February 7, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:08 PM   #30
simonkenton

30caliber:

On average; a pizza will arive faster than an ambulance.

I drove an ambulance for 14 years.
Why do you have such an asinine tag line?
Old February 7, 2010, 10:01 PM   #31
olyinaz

Ya know, I saw that too and scratched my head with a, "Huh??" Maybe it's a Dutch thing? I gotta tell you 30cal, an ambulance will arrive in the U.S. really damn fast! And we have some of the best emergency response personnel in the world to go with it. Is there some sort of problem in Holland?

Respectfully,
Oly
Old February 8, 2010, 02:30 AM   #32
30cal_Fun

I am sorry if it is offensive, I do have a lot of respect for people who drive an ambulance, and any other personnel in this sector I do not mean to attack anyone personally. I think the ambulance does a fine job at saving lives everyday.

there was a survey once (both in the UK and in The Netharlands), and it turned out that on average a pizza did arrive faster than an ambulance. but like a any other tag-line, you shouldn't take it literately. what I mean to say with is that you can't just always rely on other people, you should always try to take care of yourself, because there is no guarantee that others can always help you. with 7 billion people on this earth, there is no way an ambulance can be anywhere within a few minutes even with all the dedication and expertise these people have.
I am merely trying to make people start to think about trying to be prepared as much as possible. a lot people don't even have a first aid kit at home, and from the ones who do, there are a lot who don't know how to use most of it.

In The Netherlands (I don't know how it is in other countries) an ambulance is used more for non-emergency transport than real life threatening situations. this puts an immense stress on the personnel. if ordinary people would not try to rely on others as much as people do these days, there would be a lot less pizza's needed and above all a lot less ambulances needed.

Last edited by 30cal_Fun; February 8, 2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old February 8, 2010, 10:06 AM   #33
gandog56

A Mosin Nagant was my first C&R purchase. Ten Mosins later, I varied and got a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1, a K98, and a Steyr M95. Then I decided to get some pistols. Got an M1895, CZ52, and a CZ82.
Old February 8, 2010, 11:51 AM   #34
olyinaz

OT: last I'll have to say about the "ambulance" thing

Quote:
What I mean to say with is that you can't just always rely on other people, you should always try to take care of yourself, because there is no guarantee that others can always help you. With 7 billion people on this earth, there is no way an ambulance can be anywhere within a few minutes even with all the dedication and expertise these people have. I am merely trying to make people start to think about trying to be prepared as much as possible. A lot people don't even have a first aid kit at home, and from the ones who do, there are a lot who don't know how to use most of it.
As I suspected there's a cultural disconnect happening. 30cal, something to be aware of on this mostly American forum (where you are very welcome and we're happy to see you) is that not only does your tag line not make much sense to an American (given how fast our ambulances arrive) but that America was founded on a "can do" mentality by those who forged the country out of the wilderness through cunning and preparedness. A guns forum like this is even more inclined in that direction.

Most folks I know where I live in the U.S. do indeed have emergency supplies at home (to include stockpiles of water and food). Are 20-something kids in the big cities as well prepared? Not so much, but by the time they get a family and grow up a bit most of them do. Country folks are more practical from the get go in my experience growing up on a farm in the Heartland.

I think your sentiment is a good one but it doesn't translate well to Americans so perhaps a better/more catchy phrase or quote would be more appropriate? I think you can do better.

One thing's for sure - you've got me looking at the Mosin sniper repro for sale at my local sporting goods store! It's $400 which I just can't pull the trigger on but perhaps it'll go on sale and I'll snap it up.

Cheers,
Oly
Old February 8, 2010, 12:26 PM   #35
young mosin

pu Scopes are really expensive. should i just get a reproduction rifle or the scope package.
Old February 8, 2010, 12:32 PM   #36
SigP6Carry

Well, you'll have to get your bolt bent, drill and tap the receiver... and even then, if you're gun isn't accurate, it'd be for little more than looks.

How's your gun shoot? If you shoot sub 2" groups at 100yards, it should be ok.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:16 PM   #37
young mosin

I cant shoot with iron sights. my bullets are everywhere. my uncle did make two shots near the bullseye though
Old February 8, 2010, 01:28 PM   #38
SigP6Carry

two shots near the bullseye an approximation of accuracy doesn't make. If you're going to sink the money into turning it into a PU sniper (with will be about $60-100 for the bolt body or to bend your existing bolt body plus $2-300 for the scope and mount) you should figure out how well the gun shoots. Don't you wear glasses or contacts? My girlfriend's half blind, but she can still shoot with irons.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:40 PM   #39
30cal_Fun

Thanks for the understanding Olyinaz,

"America was founded on a "can do" mentality by those who forged the country out of the wilderness through cunning and preparedness."
This is exactly why I like American forums like this so much, because of your history, there is a lot more experience, know how, understanding and practical ingenuity about things like being prepared for the worst than with us city folks here, Holland is a small country with about 17 million people, so everything is cramped, there just isn't any room to go hiking or hunting (even still, because of all the rules and regulations it will still take AT LEAST 2,5 years to get a hunting license IF you can find and hire a patch of land).
so practical knowledge like being able to make a fire, having emergency preparations, being able to catch a rabbit, let alone marksmanship is non existent with the youth these days.

I am 20 myself, and most of my age group is (besides school) to busy getting drunk, playing Call of Duty and trying-to-wear-their-pants-as-low-as-possible-until-it-hangs-on-their-knees and not-giving-a-damn-about-anything. the cultural disconnection of the youth from it's heritage is very strong here.
I don't deny playing a game once in a while myself, but it doesn't control my life like a lot of teenagers these days. And I sure get strange faces when I tell people that some of my favorite historical figures are Sergei Mosin, Elmer Keith and Chuck Mawhinney.

until I can come up with a catchier signature phrase, Im removing te old one.

Thanks, take care and the best to all of you,

Louis
Old February 8, 2010, 01:43 PM   #40
young mosin

I got glasses and contacts. just dont use em.
Old February 9, 2010, 05:16 PM   #41
gandog56

Then why bother getting them?
Old February 11, 2010, 01:19 AM   #42
30cal_Fun

"If you're going to sink the money into turning it into a PU sniper (with will be about $60-100 for the bolt body or to bend your existing bolt body plus $2-300 for the scope and mount) you should figure out how well the gun shoots."
+1
I am sure there is someone at the range that has had a lot of trigger time and that you know can shoot accurately very consistently regardless of the weapon used, ask him/her to shoot the rifle and see what it does, if it shoots within 2 MOA, go for it and get it "sniperized"

one more thing: why are you not using your glasses/contacts? seems like a waste.
Old February 11, 2010, 08:41 AM   #43
jsmaye

Quote:
A Mosin Nagant was my first C&R purchase. Ten Mosins later, I varied and got a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1, a K98, and a Steyr M95. Then I decided to get some pistols. Got an M1895, CZ52, and a CZ82.
Your and my collections are fairly close (2 91/30s, M91/38, K31, M95, K98k, M24/47, vz 52, vz 82, & PA-63), and now I'm considering jumping on the Enfield wagon. With all your Mosins and other European weapons, what do you like about the Enfield?
Old February 19, 2010, 03:21 PM   #44
gandog56

Oh yeah, forgot my Yugo SKS.
What do I like about the Enfield? well the recoil isn't bad, I use the same bullets to reload for it as my Mosins, and a 10 round mag is nice, too.
Old February 20, 2010, 06:55 PM   #45
Cheapshooter

I have to ask you YM, do you have a lot of experience shooting? Do you shoot well with other rifles that are scoped? Is it possible that you just need a lot of range time getting used to the MN. All C&Rs are not created equal! Some 91-30s are absolute tack drivers while others are really poor. There are some out there that are called Ex-Snipers. They were taken out of service as a sniper rifle, had the holes for the mount filled, and put in storage. Some were because the need for sniper rifles was not that great at the time, some were because they failed to be accurate enough for sniper use. If you truly need to scope your Mn for hunting, give serious consideration to the scout mount setup.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:14 PM   #46
confederatemule

I would like to make a comment on eye sight. I wear tri focal glasses. The top segment is for arms length to 5', or so. The bottom segment is for less than arms length. The main body of the lens is for more than 5 '.

When trying to aim with iron sights, I either focus on the front sight, rear sight, or target. No two points at the same time. I usually try to focus on the target and get a, not so clear, picture of front sight and rear sight.
On top of all that, I am right eyed, left handed, and have cataracts in my right eye. I used to be a very good shot, not so, now.

I just don't shoot as much as I used to. Well, not hardly at all. But I still want the guns.

I am very new to any military guns. Although I have owned a Russian SKS, for around 20 years. I had to clean the cosmolene, but when I got finished with it, Wow! With the laminated stock and perfect bluing [no scratches nor dents, cause it has never been used] it is the most beautiful gun I have ever seen. BTW... there are numbers in four different places [even the stock] and they all match. I didn't look for a number on the bayonet. If they are numbered I am sure they will match.

Sorry bout the lengthy post, but I have one more question. What does PU stand for?

Mule
Old March 1, 2010, 09:57 PM   #47
TX Hunter

Young Mossin
Thats a nice looking rifle, There are scope mounts available for the Mossin.
If your vision is not very good a scope might help.
I dont have very good vision either, but my glasses correct that, and I am able to shoot Iron Sights pretty well.
I do prefer a Scope for long Range shooting though, a lot more precision.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:27 PM   #48
MagnumWill

Quote:
Have any of you guys seen the UTG tri rail for the mosin?? It looks like a pretty hot setup.
http://store.a51tactical.com/index.p...oducts_id=1646
*shudder*

So you want it to look like this? Get the bolt from buymilsurp.com, they did a phenominal job on mine. Picked up the scope and mount from Gunbroker. This was also my first Mosin, with a pretty good bore. Haven't bench-rested it yet, but it is minute-of-clay-pigeon at 100 yards so far.

Also, that scope has a nice long eye relief, so it'll be friendly to anyone who has glasses. You'll need them, since these scopes don't correct for vision.

Old March 2, 2010, 08:42 AM   #49
jsmaye

Quote:
What do I like about the Enfield? well the recoil isn't bad, I use the same bullets to reload for it as my Mosins, and a 10 round mag is nice, too.
With all your Mosins, I can't believe you care about recoil.

Well, on second thought, maybe you care about recoil because of all your Mosins...

(<BOOM!> ouch! <BOOM!> OUCH! <BOOM!> OUCH! <BOOM!> Ok, time to go home now...)