The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 6, 2012, 02:47 AM   #126
akguy1985

sounded like an egyptian by the description, least to me. I've always wanted an FN 49, just never got one.
Old September 6, 2012, 05:22 AM   #127
Siani

Thanks! Good to know it is what I thought it was. I'll keep an eye on the wrist of the stock, yes indeed. I am not sure this stock is the original though; no armorer's disc and the buttplate is plastic, not brass and has no trapdoor. The wood, as I say, appears to be beech or some other blond wood that has been stained walnut. If I ever find a walnut stock for it, I'll nab it..or I may have a friend have a go with his shop, if he is willing...hmmmmm.

I should be taking her out for gas adjustment and sighting in with a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to it.

Glad I found this place.

I saw a number of these at a gun show some time ago; they were running around 800 dollars apiece. I did not check to see if they were Egyptian or not.

Siani
And our hunts yield game through all the year."

Last edited by Siani; September 6, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:43 PM   #128
Siani

Next question; did they use bandoliers for the ammo, cartridge belt pouches, or what? Stripper clips were used for the K 98 if memory serves so perhaps something like that would work as well here.

Siani
Old September 6, 2012, 09:42 PM   #129
barnbwt

Cool, I didn't know there was a FN-49 club It'd be cool if this was in the Semi-auto section, where it might get some more looks. The FN49 is probably one of, if not the last "curio and relic" as-issued military arm we'll be able to get.

I have a Luxembourg 30-06 that is a joy to shoot; easily the best stock of my milsurps (K31's and VZ58 folder), as much fun to shoot as my FNAR, and as pretty (if not more so) than any Garand. Recently picked up some ancient dies for 30-06, so I'll be getting to shoot it even more now

Obligatory pics:

TCB
Old September 7, 2012, 05:23 AM   #130
Siani

Very nice!

The only thing that drives me nuts about my SAFN is the dratted screw that holds the bracket holding the upper forward guard in place. I get it off easily enough, to access the gas sleeve, but when it comes time to put the thing back on, the screw doesn't line up and it takes forever with much tinkering and sometimes unladylike language to get the dratted screw back in. I have come close to using a cotter pin or something, for pity's sake.

Running a rod through the holes in the bracket they line up so it isn't bent so far as I can tell. The screw isn't warped. But line up like it ought to without a lot of aggravation? Nope. Weird.

Bad with the good and all that I guess.

Siani
Old January 4, 2013, 01:48 AM   #131
GySgt

This one that I have is an Early Egyptian Contract, low 4 digit serial # and
is all matching numbers. Came with some extra parts and original FN49 TM manual. Its been a great shooter for me and always attacts attention at the range...

Last edited by GySgt; January 4, 2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:34 AM   #132
barnbwt

Nice rifle, and welcome! I dig the flash hider on those Egyptian guns
My 30-06 Luxembourg is kinda plain by comparison (and by noise, too, I suppose ). What kind of groups have you been getting?

If you don't have the no-breaky two piece firing pin, be sure to grab one of those from Numrich so you don't risk slamfires one day

TCB
Old January 5, 2013, 12:42 AM   #133
GySgt

Thanks BarnBWT appreciate the comment

The Flash Hider does help a lot in groupings, I have gotten 1.7 - 1.5 average groups with it. Ive already updated the firing pin to the 2 piece pin and keept the original as spare. Changed out the weak firing pin spring and that made a nice difference.

I finally locate the actual flash hider most commonly found the the Vennie model FN49 so I plan on changing it over to that one when it comes in and see what groups I get on it and if it makes a difference.

LOL, sure does help on the noise some that I will say.....
Old January 5, 2013, 01:33 AM   #134
tahunua001

Zombie thread!!!!!!!

Run for your lives! It's alive!!!
Old January 25, 2013, 10:32 PM   #135
Gunnutfn49

Excited to find this thread. Im almost done putting my grandfathers al fn49 back together. Pics and a field report soon to follow.

...What he meant to add was, "unless, of course, all responsible citizens are armed to the teeth."
Old January 26, 2013, 02:15 AM   #136
Ignition Override

If you live within range of Newnan, south of Atlanta, you might call and visit "Coyote Arms". They sold me a really good Enfield #4/Mk.1. at a show, very reasonable price, matching bolt, and with a bayo.

Very nice owner, and a family member is a mortician. I like these people.
Think about it-people in That profession hear about Lots of interesting guns etc for sale or disposal....

Last summer at the show up in Gwinnett GA, Coyote Frank had a very nice FN-49, though with a scope attached.

Last edited by Ignition Override; January 26, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old January 29, 2013, 07:32 PM   #137
FairWarning

That is a TRUE beauty, GySgt!

I've been a little wary them based on the reliability problems a friend of mine had with a high mileage one. But one these days, I'll have one..
Old January 30, 2013, 12:45 AM   #138
GySgt

Thank you Fairwarning, I appreciate the compliment.

Having upgraded the original one piece firing pin to the 2 piece set
and a fresh firing pin spring. I went replaced the original outer recoil spring and the 2 inner recoil spring with fresh ones improved the functioning beyond what I expected. It runs like a fine watch...
Old February 6, 2013, 09:32 PM   #139
RonR6

Where is a good place to buy a 49. I used to see many of them
listed in Shotgun News years ago, not anymore.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:05 PM   #140
Grendl

I just picked up an Egyptian for $600 on GB. They've always got several. Get yours while you still can!
Old March 18, 2013, 12:34 AM   #141
yujin734

Aloha FN-49 Owners

Just got to this thread and found that there are a few owners around. Retired Army; living here in Hawaii. Just bought a Vennie FN-49, 7x57mm, pristine condition. Along with it was the sling and bayonet and about 500 rds of Chilain cartridges (old and dirty - need cleaning). SN is 4 digits (48xx). Could not beileve the lack of recoil when firing it. I do believe that I will really enjoy this rifle. Any comments any of you may have will be greatly appreciated. Aloha to all.

Last edited by yujin734; March 18, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old January 22, 2014, 12:23 PM   #142
beeker77

FN-49 x2

I am a new proud owner of one Egyptian (original, not Century) and one Venezuelan. These rifles are soooo nasty-looking (in a good way!). Have not gotten out to the range to shoot them yet, but have field-stripped and cleaned them both, replaced one-piece firing pin where needed (I think it was only the Egyptian, but anyway wanted to inspect and be sure).
We need to get more submissions for this thread!
Has anyone found and used a 20-round magazine?
Old January 24, 2014, 01:39 AM   #143
SHE3PDOG

I didn't know this thread existed. I bought an Egyptian FN49 about a year ago, and it is EASILY my favorite rifle. I like it better than my M1 Garand even. That thing is a tack driver with modern PPU match ammo. These are really nice looking guns too.

It grabbed my attention due to its similar looks to the M1 Garand, but I quickly snatched it up when I realized what it was. It further interests me because Arabic was the second language I learned, so it is kind of nifty to read all the stuff on it.

Here she is:

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old March 20, 2014, 10:03 AM   #144
mudflat

Out of Battery Slamfire

Hey all,
I recently had an 'out of battery slamfire' in my, two piece firing pin, FN49. I had made 8mm Mauser ammo from milsurp 30-06 cases. The dimensions of the cases (30-06 and 7.92x57mm S) are identical at the base and only need to be cut down to the correct length, sized and trimmed. The problem with making your own ammo for the FN49 is that it is a very robust firing mechanism that will ignite a sensitive primer before the round is seated in the chamber. I was using CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers which are reasonably sensitive for bolt action rifles and, I have found out, too sensitive for semi auto rifles. Even though I've used these primers for years in my FALs, and WASR AK47, I'm going to stop and use CCI 34 Large, 41 Small, or milsurp in the semi auto rifles.
The 'oob' slamfire caused the receiver and bolt carrier to become a bad fit! I searched (Google) and found a gunsmith in Missouri who could fix the rifle. His name is Guy Snelen at AMG International in Humansville, Missouri. He repaired it, test fired it, and sent it home to me. If anyone needs a good gunsmith, get in touch with Guy.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:25 AM   #145
lordhedgwich

i have been looking at some of yours guys fn49 pics wow what a pretty rifle! lol How much do they run for in todays market?
Old March 24, 2014, 07:45 PM   #146
barnbwt

600-1000 bucks, depending on caliber. The 308 box mag conversions run the most, typically. The 7mm and 30-06's after that, then the "lowly" 8mm Egyptians being the most affordable. Very solid guns, basically FALs dressed up like Garands.

TCB
Old March 26, 2014, 06:05 PM   #147
lordhedgwich

whats wrong with the 8mm ones.. Thats the one i was wanting
Old March 26, 2014, 06:27 PM   #148
claymore1500

Quote:
whats wrong with the 8mm ones.. Thats the one i was wanting
There is nothing wrong with them, they are just the most common.

I have one of the Egyptians, (can be seen earlier in the thread), I really enjoy shooting it, I just need to start reloading for it.
Old March 28, 2014, 01:47 PM   #149
gyvel

Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Argentine 49s with the removable 20 round mags?

Last edited by gyvel; March 29, 2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old April 6, 2014, 12:07 PM   #150
hunter52

I have an Argentine 308. The only serious problem I have had was when I tried some of the 308 loads I had loaded up for my 308 bolt rifle.
I use CCI 200 or Wolf LR in my semi auto rifles, I use Remington 91/2 in the 700.
I decided to try the 150 grain SP load in the FN49 and see if they shot alright, on the third pull of the trigger it doubled.
Not an "out of Battery" event or anything, the primer was pierced and backed out , brass was intact ,no bulge or anything. Rifle was fine.
Since then I have duplicated the SP load for the Argentine but with CCI 200 primers. The adjustable gas system sure is nice .
I have given some thought to blocking one of my 10 round mags to 5 round and maybe take a go at elk with it.