The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 25, 2009, 12:27 PM   #76
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbalawyer
Have Egytian FN49. Have heard that you can create detachable mags. Does anyone know where directions are, or can rifle be legally converted to accept a detachable mag like the South American ones?
Going to a detachable mag on a gun that didn't have one might cause you to run afoul of U.S.C. 922(r): Since the rifle already has a threaded muzzle and a bayonet lug, if you add a detachable magazine... voila! ...you have magically created an illegal imported "assault weapon".
Old January 3, 2010, 11:46 AM   #77
Grollen

Some Pictures of a Belgium "Leopold" SAFN in 30.06

Hi,

Been also the proud owner of a Belgium SAFN in a perfect condition.

I think it was never fired before I found this one in in a gunstore.
But I am not a real collector , I like to shoot them.

Also a picture of a part of my milsurp collection.

Greetings,

G. Rollen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAFN49_1.jpg (270.2 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg SAFN49_2.jpg (279.0 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg Milsurp_1.jpg (230.9 KB, 311 views)
Old March 1, 2010, 07:33 PM   #78
Data

Hi guys. Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I recently inherited an FN49 chambered in ".30" (I understand that means 30-06), serial number 273x. I wasn't given any history behind the weapon. Can anyone share any details on the identifying markings I should look for, and what they mean?

Thanks. Finding reliable info on the web is proving very difficult.
Old March 3, 2010, 05:10 PM   #79
p99guy

Does it have "AL" stampted over the chamber area? If it does it came from Luxemborg. take pics if you can of the major markings and I have a FN49 book that I can look at,get you a little bit more on your rifle
Old March 3, 2010, 07:34 PM   #80
Data

Yes, it does have an AL stamped on the top in an elaborate font.

I'll upload some photos. Thanks p99guy.
Old March 3, 2010, 08:07 PM   #81
p99guy

welcome, there is quite a bit of documentation on the Luxemborg rifles thankfully.
this the book I have, and I recommend it highly to any owner.

http://www.amazon.com/FN-49-Elegant-...7664727&sr=8-1
Old March 16, 2010, 11:40 PM   #82
Bongo Boy

I'm happy to have found this thread--maybe you guys can give me some advice. I'm fortunate enough to have a Luxembourg model, and am the only person to have owned the rifle since its import into the US. I think I got the gun ca. 1967 or so.

The bore is in mint condition and most of the gun is in what I'd call very good condition. The finish is the only think that takes away something, and the stock, while in excellent shape, doesn't appear to be a very nice wood.

So, there's the predictable 'what would you do' question. If you were to keep the rifle would you refinish it, and if so, who could do a credible job given the existing finish (whatever it is). I'd certainly like to see it in a near-black matter Parkerized type finish. One would only refinish if they knew they'd never want to sell it, correct? Is there anyone known to specialize in refinishing these rifles (as opposed to a guy with a can of GunKote in his garage)?

Here are some shots to provide some idea of the condition, if that helps:

Should I just leave it alone as far refinishing, and is there anywhere that provides finished walnut stock sets? This gun is all-original, so I'd be more likely to sell it than to try to turn it into something it isn't, but I'm also not a collector so having a pro do a superb restoration job wouldn't bother me much.

Opinions?
Old March 17, 2010, 11:19 AM   #83
olyinaz

Leave it alone. It's a milsurp in honest condition today but it'll never be that again if it's refinished. I'd rather see you sell it and get something you're more interested in at this time than refinish it.

Regards,
Oly
Old March 26, 2010, 09:18 AM   #84
femurphy77

Not an owner yet but. . . . . . . .

I've read several, not all of the posts in this thread and it sounds like I'm in the right place. I "discovered" FN-49s at my last gun show and immediately added it to "the list". I was thinking of getting one of the .30-06 variants as I have a couple of Garands and a 1917 Eddystone Enfield with an Elmer Keith cartouche and figured why bother with a different cartridge. Anyway basically a couple of questions I have would be what should I look for? Is there a pecking order of desireability? Is there a good reason to go with a non .30-06 variant, cheaper ammo perhaps? Sorry for the vague newb questions but I like hearing been there done that experience. TIA
Old March 29, 2010, 07:55 PM   #85
tshadow6

FN 49

I want a FN 49 so bad I can taste it. Is there any chance anymore FN 49s will be coming in to the USA? I think the FN 49 is the most elegant semi-auto rifle made. I might buy a Garand, just because it costs just as much as a FN 49. Oh, I also want an AR 15. Decisions, decisions.....
Old April 4, 2010, 08:58 PM   #86
cheepertokeeper

Help with my "new" FN49. Please

Hope I'm on on the right forum. I picked up an FN49 at a farm auction this weekend. Price was right, others there shopping for farm implements. What I have is a nice looking FN49. I think. Advertised as WW11 30-06 semi-auto. Heres the issue. Tangent sight in Arabic? Crown on top front of reciever. 30836?? after the Fabrique.... on right side. Mag follower has a 7, then very faint something, 6 or 9? Rifle is nicely blued. Has a left handed walnut monte carlo stock. Rest of stock, handguards appear "normal". Not sporterized, full length barrel, bayonet lug, correct front sight. I think. Thats OK, been shopping for a lefty deer gun forever. Some Arabic scrip on front right of reciever. Last bad thing. I tried to cycle some dummy Garand ammo thru it. Last round is jammed in chamber, cant retract bolt. Stopped before I do any damage. Anyone know what I have? Could get some pix up if that would help.
Thanks, Cheepertokeeper
Old April 4, 2010, 09:49 PM   #87
Webleymkv

Sounds like you have an Egyptian contract gun as those are the only ones I know of with Arabic markings. Your .30-06 dummy round most likely got stuck because your rifle is not chambered in 30-06. Egyptian guns were chambered for 8x57 Mauser. If you're wanting to use it as a deer rifle, 8mm Mauser JSP ammo is available from Winchester, Remington, and Federal but it is severely downloaded (ballistic equivalent of a 30-30 Winchester). If you want full-power ammo that is more in line with a 30-06, you need to get imported stuff like S&B, Prvi Partizan, Wolf Gold (repackaged Prvi Partizan), or Norma.

For practice, there's a lot of military surplus 8mm ammo out there at very reasonable prices. The only issue with this is that much of it has corrosive primers, so clean your gun thoroughly after shooting surplus ammo.

One nice thing about the FN-49 is that it has an adjustable gas system which can be taylored to the power of the ammunition you're using.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:58 AM   #88
cheepertokeeper

Egyptian FN 49

Thanks Webley. Now I'm a bit miffed, being told it was a 30- 06. I know buyer beware. Got there late, no time to inspect. Is rebarreling a viable option? Would like to limit my calibers, though already have a Mauser and some zippy 8 mm milsurp. Corrosive Now the 2000 rnds of 8mm on strippers in bandoleers at auction adds up. That was food for the FN. Couda wouda shouda snapped it up for $95, but do not like using corrosive. Will search for barrel, .308 or 06 and start reloading 8mm in meantime. So to confirm; 7.92 Egyptian is 8 Mauser? One more thing, what is that slide, behind bolt handle, rear of reciever? Gas adjust? Thanks, CTK
Old April 5, 2010, 11:31 AM   #89
Webleymkv

In my opinion, rebarreling to a different caliber isn't worth the trouble. 8mm Mauser is very similar ballistically to 30-06 and I doubt that anything you shoot with either one would know the difference. Also, 8mm surplus ammunition is very inexpensive while 30-06 surplus is becoming scarcer and more expensive all the time. Good quality JSP 8mm Mauser isn't significantly more expensive than comparable 30-06. In my mind, the only thing rebarreling would accomplish would be ruining the collector value of the rifle.

Also, there are only three 7.92 cartridges that I am aware of. The first is 7.92x57J Mauser which is the same thing as 8x57J Mauser. The next is 7.92x57JS Mauser which is the same as 8x57JS Mauser. The difference between the J and JS cartridges is the bullet diameter as the J uses a .318 bullet while the JS uses a .323 bullet. The J round is obsolete and hasn't been chambered in a military rifle since the 1890's though there were some commercial sporting rifles chambered in it made well into the 20th century. The third 7.92 cartridge is 7.92x33 Kurz which, as far as I know, was only ever chambered in the MP-44 assault rifle.

To my knowledge, Egypt never used 7.92x57J nor 7.92x33 Kurz in any of their weapons. The two 7.92mm semi-automatic rifles used by Egypt were the FN-49 and the Hakim. Rather than moving to the 7.92x33 Kurz as an intermediate round, Egypt chose instead to go with the 7.62x39 in the SKS, Rashid, and AK-47.

I wouldn't be too irritated with the seller as I doubt he knew fully what he had. Even amongst the gun and shooting community, the FN-49 isn't a particularly well-known rifle. It would be an easy mistake as most of the FN-49's made were indeed chambered in 30-06. Other calibers include 7x57 Mauser (Venezuela) and 7.65x53 Mauser (Argentina). The Argentine navy also later converted many of their 7.65mm rifles to 7.62x51 NATO so as to use the same ammunition as the FAL rifles used by the Argentine army.

Also, the slide behind the bolt handle is a dust cover. The gas system adjustment is a rotating collar that requires removal of the top handguard to access.

Last edited by Webleymkv; April 5, 2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 6, 2010, 09:40 PM   #90
cheepertokeeper

FN 49 Egyptian contract

Thanks again Webley. I agree, will stick with the 8 Mauser. Really a beautiful rifle and a good 8mm is more than enough for WI whitetails. Got the stuck 06 cartridge out, cleaned it up. Didn't need much. Am curious about that left handed Monte Carlo stock. And a good, shiny blueing, not stove black. Certainely a custom job, nicely done, but doesn't help collector value. Any "correct" stocks out there? Also, any advice on cleaning up a neglected barrel? Strong lands and grooves but unfortunately some corrosion? as well. Hoppes didn't do the trick. Have read elsewhere that rebarreling isn't to difficult on these pieces. Seller had an "expert" assess his goods. Easy mistake, no disapointment on my behalf. Elated really. Thanks.
CTK
Old April 7, 2010, 09:17 AM   #91
Webleymkv

Sarco is probably about the best place around for FN-49 parts right now. Currently, they have brand new 8x57 barrels for $80.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/fn49.aspx

Also, check to see if your rifle has the older one-piece or the newer two-piece firing pin. If you've got the one-piece, I'd highly recommend replacing it with a two piece one. The reason is that the one-piece pins are somewhat prone to breakage and can cause slamfires when they do. Having an FN-49 go full-auto unexpectedly is not my idea of a good time. Numrich has two-piece pins.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...450&catid=2154

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...460&catid=2154

Both Sarco and Numrich have 30-06 stocks, but I don't know what (if anything) would be required to make them fit an 8mm.

Last edited by Webleymkv; April 7, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old April 7, 2010, 05:04 PM   #92
cheepertokeeper

FN 49 Egyptian; again. Help

Thanks again Webley. Need help, should I start a new thread. Am I hijacking someones issues here? Junior member, lots to learn. OK, took FN to range today. Some Federal 8mm ammo. Light loads, right? 3 shots, surprizing accuracy, pleasure to shoot. Then 4th. FTE, cartridge mouth torn up. Piston not retracted. Worst, that lovely stock broke. Top, right behind reciever. Found one splinter 20ft, left and behind. Never found the other main "chunk". I saw no stress cracks whatsoever in cleaning, reassembling. My local smith won't touch it. Understandable, he is not familiar with these. Did I do something wrong on re-assembly. Or is there underlying problem. Real shame. Think some good woodwork can repair stock but I will not use again til this is resolved. I really like rifle this am bound and determined to get it back in shape. Got 7 months til deer season. Any advice, anyone? Thanks, CTK
Old April 7, 2010, 08:38 PM   #93
Webleymkv

OK, the failure to eject sounds like your gas system isn't properly set up. Federal ammo is loaded very lightly when compared to surplus or imported commercial 8mm. If your gas system is set up for heavier loadings, then there probably isn't enough gas getting to the piston to reliably cycle the action.

To adjust the gas system, take off the top, front handguard. There is a spring-steel sleeve around the gas tube. Rotating this sleeve will move it back and forth either exposing or covering up a small hole in the top of the gas tube. For lighter loads, you want more of the tube covered (thusly bleeding off less gas) and for heavier loads, you want more exposed (thusly bleeding off more gas). The proper technique to adjust the gas system is as follows: expose the entire gas vent (the hole) and load two rounds into the magazine. Fire one round and if the action fails to cycle, turn the adjustment sleeve one click (covering more of the vent). Repeat this procedure until the action will cycle ejecting the spent round and feeding the next. Once you've got it running reliably with two rounds, load it with three and repeat the entire procedure. Keep doing this adding one round to the magazine until you can go through an entire mag reliably. Once you can load and fire all ten rounds reliably, replace the handguard and enjoy your rifle.

How badly is the stock broken? If it's just a small chunk of wood, your rifle is probably still shootable but if the action is now loose in the stock, you'll need to replace it. I doubt that the stock broke because of improper reassembly, it's not really all that complicated to remove and replace (at least my AL 30-06 isn't). More likely, the stock was weakened when it was modified (FN-49's didn't come with monte carlo stocks, particularly left-handed ones). Honestly, your best bet at this point would probably be to try a 30-06 stock as those seem to be the only ones widely available. Some minor fitting might be required (mainly the buttplate and hardware) but it shouldn't be too big a hassle.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:38 PM   #94
cheepertokeeper

Egyptian FN 49 issues

OK Webley. Was using Federal 170gr sp. I had left the gas adjust as found, at the 12 o clock? position Straight up. Now that I think of it the first couple were ejecting, more like "poopin", out next to me, on the bench, inches away. Assume the previous owner was using that old mil-surp. Likely much hotter fmj? Break is about 1/2" wide, 1" long, less than 1/4" deep, exposing left rear of reciever. If I had found the other piece I think I could do a good epoxy repair. I do have a "sliver" from left side that will go back almost seemless. If I can get it to hold. I scoured the range for that other piece. Tough to find in a pile of rusty spent cartridges. Also, piston spring seems a bit tired. But I don't know how it should feel. I will say barrel actually cleaned up pretty well after a couple shots. What do you think of those abrasive bullets, forget the name. Used for "cleaning" barrels. Maybe hone it? Or keep swabbing away. I will go back and check my torque on screws, but action seems tight in stock. Does this recoil against the stock inlet? Am concerned about that exposed reciever section. Good tip on Sarco.
Thank You Thank You CTK
Old April 7, 2010, 11:01 PM   #95
Webleymkv

From what you're describing, I'd say the rifle is almost certainly set up to shoot surplus/imported ammo. When properly set up, your rifle should eject the spent cases at least a couple of feet away. Rather than messing with the gas-system adjustment (it really is kind of a pain), I would just try to get some surplus or imported ammo if I were you (more powerful and cheaper anyway). AIM has currently got 340 rounds of 1970's production 8mm ammo for $100 and it even comes packed on stripper clips (that's how your rifle was meant to be loaded).

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...8RS&groupid=42

The only caveat to using surplus ammo is to not, under any circumstances, shoot Turkish ammo in anything but a Mauser. Turk ammo is loaded very, very hot and is known to cause problems when fired in a semi-auto. Turk ammo is brass cased with silver-colored bullets (likely either nickel or mild steel jackets) and typically comes on brass stripper clips in 70-round green cloth bandoliers. Thankfully, most of the Turk 8mm ammo dried up several years ago and you don't see much of it anymore.

Any Eastern European ammo (Romanian and Yugoslavian seem to be the most common these days) should be just fine for your rifle. Likewise any imported commercial ammo like Wolf, Prvi Partizan, Norma, or S&B should also be fine for your gun.

As far as the stock goes, I don't see any reason not to try an epoxy repair. The damage sounds like it's mainly cosmetic and you're not going to hurt the gun any worse than it already is. Personally though, I'd still be looking for a replacement stock as I prefer these rifles in their original military configuration.

As far as the "cleaning bullets," I've heard of them before but never used them myself. I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor pitting in your bore as that is fairly common with Egyptian rifles (years of shooting corrosive ammo). So long as the rifle shoots well, I wouldn't worry about what the bore looks like. Personally, I'd just clean it normally with a good copper-removing solvent.
Old April 8, 2010, 06:17 AM   #96
cheepertokeeper

That is interesting, as I previously stated there was a boatload of mil-surp ammo at the auction I bought rifle from. Silver tipped 8mm Mauser on strippers in bandoleers. I "let" a guy have it for $90. He gave me a couple loaded strippers. I will take a closer look at Sarco's stocks. Just so it could be returned to military configuration if I/someone so desired. Did not break bolt down, not sure of firing pin, but I will get a couple spares. When I did break it down I didn't/couldn't get trigger group out. Did not force it but it was in there really tight. I'll load some 8's up, start out light. I did read to use a moderately fast burning poowder. Do some experementing, find out what she likes. Have got some mil-surp on hand. From Sportmans guide. Corrosive, Berdan. Use that in my Mauser 98. Off to work, thanks again.
CTK
Old April 8, 2010, 01:54 PM   #97
Webleymkv

This link has got info about the Turk 8mm ammo. The top picture in the link is of what you'll most commonly encounter (most of the stuff I've seen had 1930's headstamps). If you happen to get ahold of some of this stuff, I'd recommend shooting it in your Mauser (my younger brother's Yugo M48A has had several hundred rounds of Turk ammo shot through it with no ill effects) but don't shoot it in your FN-49. I've read and heard several reports of parts breakage when this ammo is shot in a non-bolt-action firearm such as an FN-49, G43, Hakim, or MG-42.

http://www.turkmauser.com/ammo.aspx
Old April 9, 2010, 09:52 AM   #98
Bongo Boy

European Put-together?

I've been advised by a potential buyer that my SAFN-48 'AL' is not an original Luxembourg contract rifle because the serial number is too low (4202), and that it is assembled from parts. How could I verify this and does anyone know, in more detail, what this means?

I know that both receiver parts bear the same serial number, that the AL crest on the receiver certainly doesn't appear to be anything but original (based on the appearance around the engraving and the overall uniform finish). I also know the rifle was imported in the mid- to late-sixties and I can't imagine anyone taking the time to cobble up a rifle at that time, since they weren't particularly prized or anything.

Comments or recommendations? I certainly don't want to be offering the rifle as an original Luxembourg if it clearly isn't, but everything about it, appearance-wise, suggests it's just a plain old Luxembourg.

Old April 9, 2010, 10:21 AM   #99
Webleymkv

Either your potential buyer doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's trying to feed you a line of steer manure. A parts gun would still have both the "AL" marking and the serial number on the receiver. Unless the serial number or "AL" marking were purposely altered, the serial number wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not it's a parts gun. Also, there are many known Luxembourg contract rifles with serial numbers much lower than yours. My personal "AL" rifle has a serial number of 22xx and I've read of them as low as 19xx, so yours certainly isn't too low to be a Luxembourg contract. One note, both the receiver and receiver cover should have the same serial number stamped on the left side.

Just out of curiosity, did your potential buyer try to buy your rifle at a reduced price?
Old April 9, 2010, 10:22 PM   #100
johnfrit

I have a FN-49 in 8 m/m, Eqyptian contract. It is in excellent condition and I have shot it a lot with surplus 8 m/m. Broke the firing pin right away, and although it is a fun gun to shoot and fairly accurate it does not come close to the M1 Garand. The M1 is my favorite rifle and my first choice as a battle rifle. It is reliable, accurate and far less prone to break downs than the FN-49. It is also a natural point shooting gun. The only fault I can see in the M1 is the 8 round clip and the obvious noise when it is empty.