The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 24, 2008, 05:03 PM   #26
RangeRover

Northern FN49 fan

Thanks for starting the thread/owner's room. I'm a huge fan of the FN49, and have been since I saw it profiled in vintage magazine. It looks like it means business and I finally got my hands on one a year ago. 8mm Egyptian contract - a late production three-swivel with the scope dovetail cut. (see pix).

It's great fun at the range. I'm running a bunch of steel-cased Romanian surplus through it these days, though not right now because it's -30 outside. Corrosive, so need to spend some time cleaning up afterwards, but it's nice not having to chase brass (or in this case steel) too far once you get the gas system set up.

They're popular here in Canada too. It's funny but there were a few of them floating around for sale a year or so ago, but they don't seem to come up all that often any more.

I look forward to hearing how well yours works when you've got it done. It looks like you've done nice work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FN49full.jpg (55.5 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg FN49cartouche.jpg (111.7 KB, 479 views)
Old December 25, 2008, 10:25 PM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
Where's a good place to get a FN-49 in 8mm? Does anybody have the barreled receivers or is it mostly luck of the draw to find one at a gun show or on the auction sites?
You're pretty much just luck of the draw finding one. Seems like every few years a few will trickle in from some part of the world, but there's usually not many and they usually don't last long. Last ones I remember seeing in any quantity were some Argentine Navies in .308 that SOG had a few years ago. Egyptian 8mm's seem to be the most common followed by 30-06's (usually Luxembourg) with .308's and 7mm tied in distant third and Argentine 7.65 Mausers in very distant fourth.
Old December 27, 2008, 06:19 PM   #28
claymore1500

Do you mean to tell me that of all the members on TFL, there are only 6 of us that own an FN49, ain't we an ELITE little club.

Honestly, I didn't think they were that hard to come by, or they just that undesireable. (I don't think so)

Come on all you FN49 owners (you know who you are) let's get with the program.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:01 PM   #29
Webleymkv

Quote:
Do you mean to tell me that of all the members on TFL, there are only 6 of us that own an FN49, ain't we an ELITE little club.

Honestly, I didn't think they were that hard to come by, or they just that undesireable. (I don't think so)
Well, I'll tell you this, the two most common comments I get about mine while at the range are "FN what?" and "Is that a Garand?"
Old December 28, 2008, 06:22 PM   #30
Daren Thompson

I too own an FN-49 . The Argie Navy in .308 with detachable mag. I have only fired mine once, just to make sure it went bang. I bought it just before I went to Iraq and still do not have all my guns at the house. When the wife and I get a house built with gun vault I will let ya know how she shoots.
Old December 29, 2008, 09:45 PM   #31
VonFireball

Quote:
I too own an FN-49 . The Argie Navy in .308 with detachable mag. I have only fired mine once, just to make sure it went bang.
I'm pretty sure Sarco still has mags for those. I think they were about 75 each, but they ain't gonna be available forever.

I don't suppose you'd post a picture of that thing, would you? I'm kind of hoping one of the Argentine navy guys and one of the Luxembourg sniper guys will throw some pics in of those even rarer FN-49 rifles.
Old January 1, 2009, 10:38 PM   #32
Webleymkv

Quote:
I'm kind of hoping one of the Argentine navy guys and one of the Luxembourg sniper guys will throw some pics in of those even rarer FN-49 rifles.
Not a very good pic, but here's my Luxembourg '06

Old January 11, 2009, 09:31 PM   #33
VonFireball

Figured I'd throw this out there for FN-49 fans.

Right now, S.O.G (southern ohio gun) has FN-49's for sale. They are the Argentine Navy models. They don't include the detachable magazine and are missing minor parts here and there but otherwise just need a bit of routine care and TLC.

Magazines can be had through Sarco.

The gun is going for $749.99 dealer cost, so don't let your local FFL jack you to hard. Now you got the hard facts on the price. Stick it to em.

I figure that ain't a bad deal overall. I've seen complete good to very good condition Argentine Navy models go for substantially more than $1,000 on a fairly routine basis, some even reaching $1,300 or so.

Thought I saw an Argentine Navy on gunbroker recently for about a grand.

FN-49's are sweet. If more people had them they'd realize just how badly they are getting the shaft on modern stuff in comparison. Then again, FN always makes some pretty good stuff.

Heck, it beats paying 9 g's for a SCAR.....lol
Old January 12, 2009, 11:24 AM   #34
HKuser

Quote:
Right now, S.O.G (southern ohio gun) has FN-49's for sale. They are the Argentine Navy models. They don't include the detachable magazine and are missing minor parts here and there but otherwise just need a bit of routine care and TLC.
I searched SOGs catalog for them but nothing turned up, except that they have .308 FN-49 mags for $39.95.
Old January 12, 2009, 12:00 PM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

Saw one of these at my local gunshop over the weekend. First one I've seen in years, and the only one I have ever seen in 7x57 Mauser (I believe most of them went to the Colombian military).

$900 was the asking consignment price.
Old January 12, 2009, 07:59 PM   #36
VonFireball

Quote:
I searched SOGs catalog for them but nothing turned up, except that they have .308 FN-49 mags for $39.95.
I just saw it in their most recent flyer. I imagine if you give them a call they could let you know if they are still in stock. I doubt they flew away that fast, then again, with the way things have been going, they might've.

I'd score one but I've been sinking money into an FAL as my most recent project and I'm pretty well tapped cashwise.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:34 PM   #37
Daren Thompson

Von I would give you a pic of my rifle, but it is at the in-laws house. I am in the process of building a house so I do not have my guns here. Plus I am not real computer savy, but I might be able to get the wife to do it. As best I remember SOG rated my gun in excelent condition with a bayonet and spare mag. I want to say I gave $650-$700 for it 4-5 years ago.
Old January 13, 2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Webleymkv

Quote:
Saw one of these at my local gunshop over the weekend. First one I've seen in years, and the only one I have ever seen in 7x57 Mauser (I believe most of them went to the Colombian military).
7x57 was used by Venezuela, Columbia used 30-06.
Old January 21, 2009, 09:47 PM   #39
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

Sad tale

Back in 1973 or thereabouts, I paid $79.95 for an NRA Excellent Venezuelan 7mm M49.
It had a very light colored stock...maybe not walnut, which I darkened a bit with BLO.
The metal was finished in black enamel, except for the sights and magazine which were blued. It had a compensator/flash hider.
The gun was an accuracy monster, and shot wonderfully (bore was pristine.)
I was reloading back then with the little Lee kit in a box...hard to do with a semi-auto
action. Many's the round I had to yank on the bolt to get out of the chamber. Once my hand slipped. I got a nice long gash on my thumb knuckle. Scar is still there. The 49 has LOTS of sharp corners!
I had it one day at a gravel pit, shooting targets, when a Maine Game Warden came barrelling into the pit, and wanted me to show him my 'machine gun'....lol. He'd obviously been lurking and spying with binoculars on me, shooting on a Sunday. (Legal.)
I had the gas piston turned off, using the gun as a single shooter, because I didn't feature chasing cases all over the place. Frustrated the poor minion of the law..he was sure he had a real bad machine-gunner case to bring to court. His face fell when I demonstrated the semi-auto function of the piece. He also asked me if I'd shot at '...those geese'. There weren't any geese around. Poor guy. Couldn't make a Sunday hunting charge stick either.
Sometime in 1979, I traded the rifle for a new-in-the-box Colt Cobra.
Join me in singing that old refrain: "If only I'da kept it...."
There are many similar sad stories I could tell, of guns that came...and went....
Old January 28, 2009, 12:34 PM   #40
m.p.driver

Take a trip down memory lane to 1989,where you had a choice of a Hakim or a FN-49 for $79,i still have mine.
Old January 28, 2009, 04:23 PM   #41
Trebor

I have an 8mm Egyptian I got from a buddy in a trade. I gave him a Winchester CMP Garand and he gave me the FN 49, a new spare barrel and $300 cash. I have other Garands, so i figured "Why not?"

I still haven't shot it yet. He said it "Wasn't accurate at all" which is why he bought the spare barrel. I plan to try it with some known good commercial ammo to see how it shoots and if it really does have problems then rebarrel it with the new spare. I just don't want to test it with unknown quality mil-surp ammo until I know if it's a shooter or not.

Mine's a nice looking rifle, but not as nice as the one pic in this thread of the refurbished gun.
Providing instruction in Metro Detroit & Lansing areas.
Old February 7, 2009, 05:16 PM   #42
TEDDY

FN 49

I got mine from century in VT.$129 with the battle scars that Tamara has.all kinds of wood inserts.I have the thread protector,has the flash hider got long slots?? I have one and the grenade launcher.and extra barrel.
while I like it and it is accurate it is not as good as the garand.any one that says the garand with out the clip is a single shot has not a clue.the ammo always came with clips,just as machine gun ammo came on belts.if you know how to load an M1 you won't get the thumb.and thats why I like carcanos, and com.88s.the clip load is far faster.
Old February 7, 2009, 07:10 PM   #43
Huey Long

The FN-49 is a much-overlooked gem. IMO, it's the best deal going for those who want a military-patten rifle and live in states with AWBs like Commiefornia.
Old March 1, 2009, 05:08 PM   #44
mbwarner

I recently acquired a Venezuela Fn49 7 x 57 in excellent condition, except it's missing the flash hider. It has the threaded cap in place, that seems to match the rifle.

Three questions I have that perhaps you can answer--
1. Are any Venezuela contract rifles known to have been delivered without the flash hider?
2. Where can I obtain an appearance-correct flash hider?
3. All part numbers match, except that the bolt carrier is not numbered. Is this correct, or is it a replacement bolt carrier?
Old March 2, 2009, 03:39 PM   #45
RustyShackleford

I HAD the Egyptian 8mm up until about a year ago.... I remember buying it on gunbroker of all places about 3 years ago for 450.00. I sold it for somewhere around 800, I sure wish I would have held onto it... damn fine rifle, but i was in dire need of money and sold it As far as I have noticed around here there is absolutely no market for them... we had one sit in a local gun shop for a year priced at 750.00. I usually see an average of 1 of them at every gunshow that I go to and a majority of them never get sold. I don't think people know what they are missing out on. The only thing I disliked about it (this was before I started handloading) was having to clean out the gas system after every outing because of the lack of cheap non-corrosive ammo. Now I'd probably give a finger or maybe a small toe to have that "problem" again.... sigh
Old March 2, 2009, 07:31 PM   #46
claymore1500

Quote:
3. All part numbers match, except that the bolt carrier is not numbered. Is this correct, or is it a replacement bolt carrier?
The one I have is the same, ie; no numbers on the bolt carrier, as far as the flash hider, you might want to ask about that on "Paralax bill's" website, they deal with almost nothing but milsurp guns, and there are a lot of very knolageable people on that site.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearm....com/directory

Last edited by claymore1500; March 2, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added link
Old March 27, 2009, 08:33 AM   #47
Colt 1967

Colt 1967

I have an FN 49 Stock with the front band buttplate assy and cleaning stuff goes in the trapdoor I am not very familiar with these rifles I believe this is the 30-06 long length it looks to have been glass bedded ? it is in very nice condition I am not sure of its value but I don't have a need for it LMk if interested thanks Colt 1967
Old April 7, 2009, 11:58 AM   #48
TEDDY

Chargers

I just tried an M14 charger it does not fit my 8mm.I do have a charger that works,it has two tits in the middle and is chromed.have no idea what it was for.would like to know.I have turkish,mauser 91/93? and 98.my gun is a battle scared vet but shoots good and I have a new barrel in the wings for it.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:20 PM   #49
deadcoyote

I'm looking at two of these things right now.

Two different guys at my gun club are selling FN 49's. One is in 8mm, arsenal refinished, for $450. The other is in 30-06, excellent original condition for $500. I've always wanted one but the only one I had seen was at a local pawn shop 5 years ago for $900. I might just buy both.
Old May 13, 2009, 08:33 PM   #50
j-framer

Does anybody here have this book?

http://www.fn-browning.com/fn-49_the...rifle_book.htm