The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 23, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1
VonFireball

FN-49 Owner's Room

These rifles don't seem to get much play. I know, they are few in number, but still, they are an awesome machine.

So I'm starting this thread for FN-49 owners to showcase, talk about, and discuss variations of and hand loads for this Rolls Royce of battle rifles.

I'm nearing completion of my project now. I need to bed the action and do some finish sanding before I tru-oil it.

I paid $350 for a barreled action. It only needed a new firing pin (the one weak point in this rifle).

For a stock, I ordered one from American Gunstock in CA. That was my biggest mistake, as the one they sent me (took way longer than I was quoted) was horribly inletted for this action. Way to much wood was removed behind the triggerguard. I called and complained, and all I got was a self righteous attitude from the brick brain that owns the company.

So since I didn't figure they would give me a full refund, I just put it together anyway.

Here are a couple of pictures for you:

I love this thing and can't wait to have it finished up!
Old December 23, 2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Did it require a lot of bedding?

How much was the stock?

(My Egyptian shows enough repairs to the wood that a backup stock might not be a bad thing for me to keep on hand...)
Old December 23, 2008, 10:53 AM   #3
VonFireball

Quote:
Did it require a lot of bedding?

How much was the stock?

(My Egyptian shows enough repairs to the wood that a backup stock might not be a bad thing for me to keep on hand...)

The stock was $300 and they told me "six weeks". That turned into beyond twelve weeks.

Looking back, I should've just waited and got a surplus stock for around $150 that would've been a drop fit.

Basically, right now, I just have the action fitted to the stock, but it's not bedded yet. I have a pretty tight fit going, aside from the gaping hole behind the trigger guard.

The long and short of this is that I would never do business with American Gunstock again. **** poor customer service and poor quality. Seeing as how they do a lot of mauser stocks, which are way more hassle to inlet, there is no way I would trust them to get me a properly done stock of any sort.

Poor service, poor workmanship. The taurus of gunstocks...lol

Sarco had 30-06 stocks on hand for around 70 bucks or so but I was told that you have to modify stuff to get them to fit my 8mm mauser model so I just ordered the stock new.

Like I said, I'd scan ebay and gunbroker and be patient until you can find an original. It'll be worth the wait, and as I said, you'd wait 12 weeks for your stock from American Gunstock anyhow, as nobody else produces a stock for these nowadays.
Old December 23, 2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Dang.

At least you saved me money, which is your good deed for the day!
Old December 23, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
VonFireball

Quote:
At least you saved me money, which is your good deed for the day!
It was my pleasure.

Just keep your eyes peeled and search ebay and gunbroker every now and again. One will turn up, they always do.
Old December 23, 2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I should note that an FN-49 in 7x57 is on my "Dream Guns" list...
Old December 23, 2008, 02:51 PM   #7
VonFireball

Quote:
I should note that an FN-49 in 7x57 is on my "Dream Guns" list...
I kinda like the Argentine navy models with the detachable magazine, though, they are chambered for 7.62 which is a dog by comparison.

I also like the sniper versions, which, if I remember correctly, are 30-06 Luxembourg contract versions. They go for a pretty good chunk of change though.
Old December 23, 2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Webleymkv

I paid $900 for my non-sniper Luxembourg with matching bayonet a couple years ago. Looking around, that seems to be the going rate for a 30-06.
Old December 24, 2008, 10:25 AM   #9
VonFireball

Quote:
I paid $900 for my non-sniper Luxembourg with matching bayonet a couple years ago. Looking around, that seems to be the going rate for a 30-06.
Yeah, I would say $900 was a fair deal, especially with the matching bayonet. These guns are easily worth the price. Kinda makes other battle rifles outside of the garand seem kind of cheap and pathetic.

Last time I saw a sniper version I think it was going for around $1,300 or about the same price as the Argentine Navy detachable magazine model. Once in a while you can find a little better deal though.

If you'll notice, the sniper scope and scope mount go for better than $700 which in my book, makes the sniper model at $1,300 a pretty smart buy.

Ain't that many of these awesome rifles around. Too bad really
Old December 24, 2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Webleymkv

I had a chance at a lightly bubba'd 7x57 model for $600 the same day I bought my 30-06, but I passed based on both the mods and ammo availability.
Old December 24, 2008, 11:40 AM   #11
claymore1500

Fn49

In my opinion,(and worth every penny you paid for it) the Fn49 is a much better rifle design than the garand due to the following, 10 rounds instead of 8,can be loaded with strippers or loose rounds(no need to wait until it is empty to reload) the bolt can be locked back with a button, (No "M1 thumb" problem), the reciever is machined from a solid bar of steel, 8MM round is just a little more powerful than 30.06,(not that the dead guy is going to care), can be stripped for cleaning From the rear (breech) in seconds, select fire was an option, although I am not sure why anyone would want to go that route, It's better looking,(again, my opinion)

The biggest problem with them, and it kept them off the battle field for the most part, was manufacturing cost was very high.

I bought an egyptian contract FN49, some time around the end of the Reagan administration, regretably just after he signed the machine gun ban, I could have aquired the full auto kit, but they disappeared before I got the rifle.

I got mine at a gun show in Ohio, and believe it or not, back then they were cheap, mine was $219.00 with matching #'s and bayonet. arsenal refurb, with new wood, And now for the gratuitus pictures

Old December 24, 2008, 11:57 AM   #12
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore1500
...arsenal refurb, with new wood...
For the record, I hate you.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:02 PM   #13
VonFireball

Quote:
In my opinion,(and worth every penny you paid for it) the Fn49 is a much better rifle design than the garand due to the following, 10 rounds instead of 8,can be loaded with strippers or loose rounds(no need to wait until it is empty to reload) the bolt can be locked back with a button, (No "M1 thumb" problem), the reciever is machined from a solid bar of steel, 8MM round is just a little more powerful than 30.06,(not that the dead guy is going to care), can be stripped for cleaning From the rear (breech) in seconds, select fire was an option, although I am not sure why anyone would want to go that route, It's better looking,(again, my opinion)
I pretty well agree with you on all that.

I don't think the FN 49 is capable of the pinpoint accuracy though, due to it's tilting bolt design, not that it matters in a battle rifle.

Are you sure select fire was an option? I thought the full name for this rifle was "SAFN-49" or "semi automatic fabrique nationale-1949".

I paid $350 for my barreled action, and $300 for the stock (the big ripoff) from American Gunstock (we won't be doing business again).

I even bought a brand new barrel from Sarco for about $55.00 just to have a spare laying about (the barrel that it has already is in excellent condition). I did it "just cause."

Wonder how much longer they'll be available at that price.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:21 PM   #14
claymore1500

Numrich "LISTS" some of the full auto parts, but they are Not availiable, Shotgun news, durring the Reagan admin. and before sold the complete conversion kit for under $50.00.

Also, full auto parts are listed in the field manual.

Last edited by claymore1500; December 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: ETA;more info
Old December 24, 2008, 12:31 PM   #15
Calfed

I've got two Egyptian FN 49's. One that is an arsenal refurb that I got last year for $600-which is supposed to have the "sniper scope milling" on the right side (I have no idea what that is)

And another that I got recently at an auction for $575 and that I'm still waiting to receive-these are the auction site pics

I got a couple of extra barrels, extractors and springs too--for the same reason you did, Fireball
Old December 24, 2008, 12:38 PM   #16
VonFireball

Quote:
I got a couple of extra barrels, extractors and springs too--for the same reason you did, Fireball
I should grab a couple spare firing pins to, as that is supposedly the weakest part of the action.

I was wondering, I don't see many flash hiders like the one that is on my rifle on to many others. Is that some sort of aftermarket thing? I have a friend with an FN-49 and his has it, but most of the ones I see listed on Gunbroker don't have it. Anyone know what the deal is?
Old December 24, 2008, 12:48 PM   #17
claymore1500

"sniper scope milling"

The area on your reciever (left side, rear) there are two screws just below the reciever cover, the holes and the groove in the reciever in that area is where the sniper scope mount attached, although your wood is not cut for the mount.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:50 PM   #18
Webleymkv

The only FN-49's I've ever seen with flash hiders are the Venezuelan 7x57's. Numrich does have a clamp-on grenade launcher that fits 30-06 models I think.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...oductSKU=52440

Finally, M14 10-round stripper clips work great with a 30-06 model.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:53 PM   #19
claymore1500

Flash hider

If you look at the pics of "Calfed's rifle, notice the muzzle, it has the standard muzzle cap/guard the rifle was issued with, It screws off and can be replaced with a flash hider or grenade launcher, The muzzle cap/guard had to be in place to mount the bayonet.
Old December 24, 2008, 12:58 PM   #20
VonFireball

Quote:
The only FN-49's I've ever seen with flash hiders are the Venezuelan 7x57's.
Hmmmm, mine's an 8mm mauser version.

Quote:
Finally, M14 10-round stripper clips work great with a 30-06 model.
I wonder if those would work for the 8mm mauser seeing as how you can make the brass from 30-06 casings....hmmmm...lol
Old December 24, 2008, 01:04 PM   #21
claymore1500

Check out www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm there you can download the manual for the FN49, Among others
Old December 24, 2008, 01:08 PM   #22
Calfed

here's a better pic of the muzzle from the auction site

Old December 24, 2008, 01:16 PM   #23
Webleymkv

Quote:
I wonder if those would work for the 8mm mauser seeing as how you can make the brass from 30-06 casings....hmmmm...lol
Only one way to find out

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....rSuperSKU=&MC=
Old December 24, 2008, 03:39 PM   #24
SemperFly

FN-49 8mm

My dad has been aching to get one in 8mm but I couldn't find a decent one before Christmas.

Where's a good place to get a FN-49 in 8mm? Does anybody have the barreled receivers or is it mostly luck of the draw to find one at a gun show or on the auction sites?
Old December 24, 2008, 04:01 PM   #25
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Mine has some sort of muzzle gizmo on it that looks like an M-14 flash hider...