The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Onytay

Is the BATFE on Vacation?

Has anyone seen a long wait on recent app for their C&R? I sent mine in on Sept 4 still nothing, I've tried calling them 2 times, on the first try I was on hold for 30 min. before giving up, second try I gave them just short of an hour! I've got a clean record so i know that cant be a problem. I have looked over my copy of the app several times to see if I messed something up. Just wondering if anyone else has had this, because everything I've seen before people were getting a 2 month turn around. Go figure as soon as I try there is problems, always my luck
Old December 9, 2008, 08:26 AM   #2
jsmaye

Fortunately, if you make a mistake on your app or leave something out, they'll return it to you highlighting the error. As a private collector, I didn't understand what they wanted in the 'Place of Business' field - they sent it back telling me exactly what to put in.

I imagine with the holidays and the panic-buying going that the BATFE is merely swamped.
Old December 9, 2008, 12:15 PM   #3
Pitts Spcl

As I've stated here before, in October of this year it only took 19 days mailbox to mailbox to receive mine.

Your geographical location could possibly be a factor. Don't lose hope; it will arrive one day.

Meanwhile, address envelopes to all the suppliers and dealers so that you'll be ready when it does arrive.

GL
Old December 9, 2008, 01:04 PM   #4
TDodge7

i ordered mine 2 or 3 weeks ago and got it the same week ....but then again i'm in virginia so it may have been wuicker just because of that .
Old December 9, 2008, 03:57 PM   #5
Yellowfin

Just had them charge the card today, wondering how long it will take since I'm in CA.
Old December 9, 2008, 06:23 PM   #6
fat old gun nut

BATFE on vacation...

Just happened to call them today. They ask my patience because they have just moved offices and are trying to get settled asap
Old December 9, 2008, 09:58 PM   #7
rwt101

I sent mine in on Oct 26 and just got it in the mail yesterday. I had called them last week and they called me back and said it was approved and would be sent out. So it was about 6 weeks.
Bob T
Old December 9, 2008, 10:04 PM   #8
rwt101

Did you use the phone number off of this list? http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/ff...flc-roster.pdf

Bob T
Old December 10, 2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Onytay

Bob

Thanks for the phone list Ill try that out
Old December 14, 2008, 11:45 AM   #10
jrfoxx

I sent in the paperwork to change the address on mine around the beginning of OCT and havent gotten the amended license yet. Last time I moved and had to do this, I got it in like 10 days (about the same time it took to get my original when I had applied also).

I suspect with all the "panic" buying, plus holiday buying, plus the fact they moved thier licensing center office in Oct., that things a gonna be unusually backlogged with the BATFE for a while.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:48 AM   #11
tpl77

I mailed my application out on Sept. 2nd. I emailed them a couple weeks ago inquiring about the status and got a quick reply from a customer service person that if my credit card had not been charged yet, to request another application. It sounded lame, but I did request another application which has yet to come in. I wonder if my local sheriff's office needs to "clear" me and they have not done so yet. Our county budget is a mess and I suspect something like this would sit on a desk at the sheriff's office until there was nothing better to do one day.

Bottom line, submitted 9/2/08.... nothing yet.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:54 AM   #12
Ricklin

Sheriff not holding up your parade

The copy of your App. is simply to inform your CLEO. Does not affect your wait time. The copy is provided to them for info only.

The CLEO would have to 'take action' to stop your approval, otherwise he or she just gets a copy of your application, they do not approve or disapprove.

I suspect that most find their way to 'file 13'
Old December 16, 2008, 11:18 AM   #13
flight954

They are very busy because of the current turn of events
Old December 17, 2008, 09:45 PM   #14
lagavulin62

how long does it take to get applications? been waiting about 5 days. why can't they make the application via pdf file? that would save on postage.
Old December 17, 2008, 09:48 PM   #15
lagavulin62

"Fortunately, if you make a mistake on your app or leave something out, they'll return it to you highlighting the error. As a private collector, I didn't understand what they wanted in the 'Place of Business' field - they sent it back telling me exactly what to put in."

jsmaye,

do you mind telling us what they wanted you to put in under "place of business"? I know I will have that same question.

why isn't there a quote link. does anyone know how to quote a poster?
Old December 18, 2008, 08:30 AM   #16
jsmaye

Quote:
jsmaye,

do you mind telling us what they wanted you to put in under "place of business"? I know I will have that same question.

why isn't there a quote link. does anyone know how to quote a poster?
They told me to just put my home address - this was really meant to be a "place of collection" field.

To create a quote, highlight the text and click on the word balloon icon in the box, the one between the 'Insert image' icon (mountains on yellow background) and the 'Wrap' icon (pound sign).
Old December 22, 2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Onytay

Well I waited a little longer then I decided to call the ATF last Monday and they told me that the issued my license on Oct 30. After telling the not so nice lady on the phone that I never recieved it, she told me they would send me a replacement. I never even got the information packet. Is there anything in there that I need to have, like the approved list or the laws pertaining to the C&R?

Man this is very frustrating, now Im waiting on the replacement!
Old December 22, 2008, 11:04 PM   #18
rwt101

Just think of all the money you saved!!! Now you can get more things all at one time.
Bob T
Old December 22, 2008, 11:13 PM   #19
Onytay

To add salt to the wound she even gave me license number and i cant even use it
Old December 24, 2008, 08:14 AM   #20
tpl77

Ontay- at least they acknowledged that you applied, were issued a license and are willing to replace it. I'm back to square one. They have no record of receiving my application back in September and I'm still waiting for another application from them to apply again.

The strangest thing to me is those who claim they got their license in 2 weeks..or less...?? At least be consistant!
Old December 27, 2008, 09:20 PM   #21
lagavulin62

Quote:
Ontay- at least they acknowledged that you applied, were issued a license and are willing to replace it. I'm back to square one. They have no record of receiving my application back in September and I'm still waiting for another application from them to apply again.

I hope this is not an indication of whats in store for me. still waiting on applications. I ordered again and will see what happens. nothing more frustrating than waiting on the govt to get it together. wait till the new prez gets his hands in it all.
Old December 27, 2008, 09:24 PM   #22
lagavulin62

Quote:
They told me to just put my home address - this was really meant to be a "place of collection" field.

To create a quote, highlight the text and click on the word balloon icon in the box, the one between the 'Insert image' icon (mountains on yellow background) and the 'Wrap' icon (pound sign).

jsmaye,

thanks for the response. guess I better create a file for the hard drive and save this info. by the time my applications arrive who knows what I will remember.
Old December 28, 2008, 10:52 AM   #23
Ricklin

Wow!!! Govt. Efficency

Just like like military intellegence, or Jumbo Shrimp. A contradiction in terms!

I feel for ya'll I filled out my paperwork and sent it in August. Received it in September, about 5 weeks door to door.

The wait times ya'll are going through are ridiculous.

I'm not gloating, I find it unacceptable. I am still waiting patiently for my CHL, I started that process this summer. I may see it b4 the end of the year.
Old January 9, 2009, 03:11 AM   #24
Onytay

Man this is really getting frustrating, haven't recieved anything yet I'm gonna give them a month from when I called them then I guess Ill call them AGAIN! Once again the Alphabet Organizations at there finest!
Old January 9, 2009, 03:50 AM   #25
Bill DeShivs

ATF "forgot" to send me my FFL renewal during the Clinton administraton, but they conveniently "remembered" to send a demand for my records. When I explained I needed a renewal, I got an application for an FFL! They then told me that the only way I could renew was to apply for a new license. I sent them the books, and said good riddance!