The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 17, 1999, 01:06 PM   #1
Karanas

The Trijicon ACOG Reflex Sight and the Meprolight Mepor 21 Sight both use light gathering fiber optics and tritium to produce a dot sight that doesn't require batteries to operate.
On the one hand, you don't have any batteries to worry about or any switches to fool with.
On the other hand, tritium is only good for about 10 years.
Nonetheless, I'm intrigued. Has anybody had any experience with either of these gizmos?
Their simplicity is attractive, but would I wind up with a worthless hunk of glass in 10 years, or can the tritium be somehow economically recharged?
Any information or advice would be appreciated.
Old October 17, 1999, 05:39 PM   #2
Jim V

Well, I don't think the tritium can be "recharged". The real questions that you should be asking are: How do the basic costs compare between the battery dot sights and the tritium dot sights? What is the service life of the battery sights? What is the cost of the sight spread over the life of it?
Which sight will stand up to extended use better? and Which sight do you like the looks of best?

I have had little experience with either type sight but know a few people that use the electric dot sights. They all seem to think the more you spend for a sight the better it lasts but still switches and wires break.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Old October 18, 1999, 12:51 AM   #3
DWM

I had Trijicon night sights on a Glock26 and thought that they were worth the cost. In a very low light area like my driveway at night, the black Glock would totally disappear in front of me. The night sights solved that problem. You may feel differently, but I felt that $80 wasn't too much to put into sights with a life span of 10-13 years. Averages $8 a year for a good night sight system. Not too bad in my opinion.

DWM