The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 22, 2014, 11:37 PM   #151
Modeler

Looks like it's ok to keep this thread going after months off, right? I came away from the most recent gun show with a couple rifles, one of which is a Luxembourg FN-49 in 30-06. It looks to be in great shape, the numbers on the metal all match (although the number on the stock doesn't). I'm looking forward to taking it out the next time I go shooting. A couple questions:

1. What loads are ok to use in the FN-49? I know the M1 Garand is somewhat sensitive to heavier loads, is the FN-49 similar in that regard? Will I be safe using my M2 ball ammo from my M1 stash in the FN-49?

2. I see a guide for stripper clips. I've read this evening that M1A/M14 stripper clips work well; does that work out well for everyone else?

Thanks in advance!

"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live." - Tom McCall, 30th Governor of Oregon
Old November 23, 2014, 11:43 PM   #152
Emerson Biggies

If my memory serves me, the FN49 has over 140 parts. For your sake I hope buying parts for the 49 is not like buying parts for a car. Taking one down for cleaning must be a labor of love.
Old November 24, 2014, 12:20 AM   #153
Clyde

Modeler, M2 loads will work just fine in your FN-49. If I recall correctly, they are a pretty middle of the road loading. Your advantage is the adjustable gas system. Dial that in with your ammo to prevent your rifle from taking a beating
Old November 24, 2014, 02:11 AM   #154
Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
Modeler, M2 loads will work just fine in your FN-49. If I recall correctly, they are a pretty middle of the road loading. Your advantage is the adjustable gas system. Dial that in with your ammo to prevent your rifle from taking a beating
Awesome, thanks!
Old November 24, 2014, 06:48 AM   #155
mehavey

See Post #3 this same thread.
If/when reloading, stay w/ mid-fast powders.

Last edited by mehavey; November 24, 2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old November 26, 2014, 11:55 PM   #156
Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
See Post #3 this same thread.
If/when reloading, stay w/ mid-fast powders.
Thanks. I have a bunch of CMP M2 ball right now, I'll probably end up reloading it all eventually once I run out.
Old November 30, 2014, 07:28 PM   #157
hunter52

Not sure if the Luxembourg model is the same as the Argentine model in regards to the stripper clips, the M14 clips do not fit in my Argentine bolt but they do work in the Fal charger I use to load my magazines.

If you find they do work or want to try some in your Lux, shoot me a line, I have a thousand or so.
Old April 5, 2016, 03:13 AM   #158
Modeler

So I want to use a suppressor on my Lux FN-49. From everything I've read the muzzle thread is 15x1 RH. I have an appointment tomorrow with a shop to have an endcap for my Silencerco Harvester threaded to 15x1, so tonight I got everything out and put together. Just for fun I decided to see how close the 5/8-24 endcap is. It slid over fine. I started to screw it on and it went. A little loose at first, but it tightened up as it went until it hit the shoulder and stopped. I unscrewed it and it came off easily. I put it on and took it off a couple more times just to be sure I wasn't losing my mind. Finally I put the suppressor on the endcap and tightened the whole assembly down; everything looks right. The suppressor is concentric to the bore, everything locks down like it should but still comes off easily.

Are the threads on the rifle really 15x1? Are 15x1 and 5/8-24 actually the same thread by some miracle of Imperial/Metric conversion? Have I lost my mind? Was it all a dream?

Any thoughts?

"Come visit us again and again. This is a state of excitement. But for heaven's sake, don't come here to live." - Tom McCall, 30th Governor of Oregon

Last edited by Modeler; April 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old November 16, 2016, 01:03 PM   #159
k98dave

FN49 Springs & things

Just won an auction on a very crisp Lux FN49 and was looking to find extra springs etc. Its on its way and should be here in a couple of days. I went ahead ordered new FP springs from Numrich Arms but didn't see and other springs in their parts lists. Anyone know of any sources. I'm not sure if this rifle has the old one piece FP or the newer two piece. From what I have seen the replacement two piece rear pins don't appear to have the safety slot in them. Guess a gunsmith could cut the fp safety slot if needed.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old September 4, 2018, 07:44 PM   #160
Chrisbags

Anyone ever seen one of these with a 17” barrel?

I recently acquired this Egyptian contract 8mm Mauser. It appears to have been sporterized as it has a 17.25” barrel with an overall length of 39”. It is missing it’s unit disc but the receiver stamp is a crown indicating it was a complete rifle at time of sale. Numbers match between the receiver stock and barrel. Shortened barrel seems to have been properly crowned. The bore is clean and the barrel is bright. Finish on the receiver is not perfect but no rust and honestly the honest wear is an asset.

I made this album on Flickr, it is not for sale, but if anyone familiar with these rifles would care to share impressions I would be grateful. With the brass buttplate and the short barrel she has been christened Thumper.

This is an old thread so I expect no responses, but I figured I would drop a line where the big fish have been.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157551...57697739015912

Thanks!
chrisbags

This post brought to you by the letters F and N, and the number 49.
—————-
“Lord make me fast and accurate”
Old November 26, 2019, 06:47 PM   #161
rmcc

Hello all!! New to here. Just got my Fn 49 assembled and have taken it to range. I need to order a taller sight (shoots a 1' high @ 100 yds) but once I got the gas sleeve in the right place I really liked the way it shot!

rmcc
Old March 12, 2020, 05:19 PM   #162
jmohme

Hello all you FN49'rs.
I have a Columbian contract FN49, that I just finished getting back to near original condition.

All serial numbers match, but the previous owner had take a hacksaw to the front sight so that he could put some abomination of a tubular sight on it.
Since the front sight is part of the gas tube, it had to be replaced. Fortunately that is not difficult part to find.

The main stock has also been replaced, but as I understand it, this was somewhat common on the Columbian contract FN's. It also had a recoil pad instead of the corrugated steel butt plate that should be on it. I also located one of those that just arrived in the mail to me this week and is awaiting installation.

FN49_Columbian_sml.jpg
Old May 7, 2020, 08:04 PM   #163
rmcc

Well added (2) Venezuelans to the Lux and (4) bayonets. Looking at an Egyptian. I absolutely love the way these rifles shoot! The 7mm in that rifle is about a perfect combination.

rmcc