The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 9, 2014, 08:26 AM   #51
zfk55

Or............. www.shooterready.com
This is Stewart Wilson's original training site. If you're not sure who he is..... He developed the Windrunner series of rifles. This is him at the USMC High Angle Range in Hawthorne making 1 mile shots.

I have one of his proto-type rifles.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old July 9, 2014, 11:04 AM   #52
tahunua001

thank you for the sermon DR, but I'm a little confused what has prompted this? there really isn't any talk here about long range shooting other than cartridges being capable of reaching the ranges.

also, I have taken 300 yard shots on game and brought home meat so I would apreciate it if we can avoid turning this into an ethical discussion. Ethics are subjective and unique to each individual, there is no set value for ethical and unethical, especially when it comes to hunting. please leave them at the door. every one of the hunts that I took last year were considered to be unethical by one person or another and every tag I worked on was filled, with minimal suffering from the animals I hunted.

thank you.
Old July 9, 2014, 12:12 PM   #53
Mosin-Marauder

Probably just trying to stir something up. Bench rest or no as long as your pulling the trigger, you still shooting. Also, if my dad can kill a ground hog from 400 yards from the hood of his truck with 1 round to the head, that's not really unethical.

And saying words like "armchair sniper" is going to cause nothing but trouble among the long distance bench rest shooters.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 9, 2014, 12:52 PM   #54
tahunua001

I wouldn't read too much into phrases like "armchair sniper", "mall ninja", "Obama"... people on this site throw those around a lot(myself included). there are a heck of a lot of people that "know" a lot about long range shoot from what they've read in magazines but few have ever actually done it and really shouldn't be offering advice because much of that is second hand and possible out of context. right now on this site there is a thread of a fellow who wants to start shooting long range with little rifle experience, a person on there actually suggested that he buy a $3500 338 Lapua with a $2500 scope. there are many who refer to themselves as snipers who have never actually received the title from an official marksmanship school, and there are some truly terrible shots that think that the more expensive rig you have the better your shot will be, this is not always the case.
Old July 9, 2014, 04:40 PM   #55
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
...a person on there actually suggested that he buy a $3500 338 Lapua with a $2500 scope.
For a moment I thought you were talking about me

And that sounds awfully like something my dad would want me to get.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 9, 2014, 05:10 PM   #56
tahunua001

not unless you have two different user accounts.
I ramble at times, not really geared at anyone in particular.
Old July 9, 2014, 05:53 PM   #57
Mosin-Marauder

I know, I'm just keeding.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old November 15, 2014, 05:17 PM   #58
velocette

The K31s were not sniper rifles, they were battle rifles designed & built in Switzerland.
They are a beautifully designed, beautifully built piece of precision Swiss manufacture. They were NEVER used with corrosive ammo so their bores are usually quite nice.
The fit and finish of their metal parts is truly superb, their triggers are excellent two stage, clean and crisp.
Placing a K31 alongside a 03 Springfield, '17 Enfield (US rifle of 1917), a Garand or a .30 carbine (And a Mauser K98, any Mosin or French rifle) will clearly show the significant difference in quality of construction and precision. (You can check them all out if you look in my safe)
It is also my OPINION that the K31 would not be a good battle rifle due to its precision and intolerance for dirt, sand and other detritus of war.