The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 19, 2014, 07:27 AM   #51
Gunplummer

What special purposes were these rifles cut down for? I auctioned over 100 Arisakas in my collection when I moved and never saw anything like that. More B/S rumors. As for leaving the stock with the original finnish, what does it matter? It is pretty easy to see it was messed with. The finnish can go either way as far as value. I had some with shrapnel in them, one had a bullet wedged into the receiver and sear, and one(Type 30) was burnt to a crisp on one side. They all went for more than the best condition standard T-38 and T-99 I had. Gun values dictated by items for sale are meaningless. Check what the guns ACTUALLY were sold for.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:16 PM   #52
tiltrotor22

Well

I honestly couldnt tell you exactly why it was cut that way. Yea, it could be b.s. rumors, but then again you never know. Just because you auctioned off 100 and never saw one like that doesnt mean they dont exist. Now dont get me wrong, im having a hard time believing it as well, and I wont put any money on it that the Japanese did this without proof. I was only stating what I was told.
Ill still be on the lookout for a complete stock and barrel and return it to stock.
Old August 19, 2014, 08:33 PM   #53
tahunua001

Quote:
What special purposes were these rifles cut down for? I auctioned over 100 Arisakas in my collection when I moved and never saw anything like that. More B/S rumors.
I've seen three of these rifles in person. info on them is easy to find, wikipedia calls them type 38 cavalry carbine. military factory just calls them the type 38 carbine. over 400,000 of these rifles were built nearly 4 times the number of the type 44 cavalry carbine.
Old August 19, 2014, 08:39 PM   #54
tiltrotor22

Yea

I did some research on the front sight as well, its a factory arisaka front sight.
So maybe I only need the upper handgaurd and barrel band.
Old August 20, 2014, 12:45 PM   #55
Gunplummer

That is NOT a Type 38 Carbine or a hacked up T-44. The reason you see so many of them is because they (T-38 long rifles) make excellent, cheap deer rifles when cut down. I still use a long rifle I re-cut to 6.5x55. Except for no F/sight, a scope, and bent bolt, it would be a twin to the picture. The rifle in question has a long rifle rear sight and stock. Look at the finger grooves in the stock. I bet the barrel dimensions (OD) are not the same as a carbine either. There were "Specialty" rifles reworked in handfuls or short runs to submit for testing, but these were well marked. Most were jump guns, and there was a Type 99 short rifle in production. Type 38 long rifles are everywhere (Even with no MUM). Money better spent buying one that is complete. Just reading this thread, I have come to one conclusion. If someone else does repairs on a military gun, then that person is a criminal. If the owner repairs a military gun it is "Restoring".
Old August 20, 2014, 08:14 PM   #56
tahunua001

I'm not saying that what the OP has is a 38 carbine. I'm saying that if he was so inclined, the OP could add a handguard and stock to make it look somewhat like a 38 carbine.
Old August 21, 2014, 04:26 PM   #57
Gunplummer

I still have a Type 38 carbine. The guy I bought it off of said Tojo used it for target shooting. I find it hard to believe, "But then again you never know".
Old August 21, 2014, 09:44 PM   #58
tiltrotor22

Hey

Do you have a picture?