The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 11, 2010, 02:46 PM   #26
CjAl

one of the main reasons I left WI for TX
Old July 12, 2010, 04:12 PM   #27
cougar gt-e

Parts came to the front door today

The barrel IS correct and it NEEDS the "9mm" bushing from sarcoinc.

The spacer needs holes drilled into the frame to hold it in place. Will
have to see the local smith for that chore as I don't have a drill press
(or the expertise to get the holes in the correct location!)

The 9mm mags came in. They are a tight squeeze with the spacer.
It will need some polishing and love to get them to fit good.

I got a new recoil spring for it too. The original one was about 2-3 coils
shorter than the new one. No biggie.

It does feed, chamber and eject 9mm rounds fine. Haven't fired it
yet, but it should work fine.

jb
Old July 13, 2010, 09:48 AM   #28
noelf2

My barrel isn't in yet. Figured I'd see if it fit before buying other stuff. Is yours a Romanian Tok? TTC? That's what mine is and I'm hoping the barrel fits.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:04 PM   #29
cougar gt-e

Quote:
My barrel isn't in yet. Figured I'd see if it fit before buying other stuff. Is yours a Romanian Tok? TTC? That's what mine is and I'm hoping the barrel fits.
Romanian -- from SOG early (feb) this year.

Here's a picture of the new parts and old parts. The new are to the right of the old in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tok partsCIMG5594.JPG (37.9 KB, 113 views)
Old July 19, 2010, 12:53 PM   #30
Fiv3

I'd just like to say thanks for this thread

I picked up a Norinco 213 in 9mm for a song at the gun show. I really dig it, but I would like to be able to set it up to shoot 7.62 like my CZ52.

I'm hoping that for Christmas my wife can get me the needed parts to convert it. Nothing like having a gun that shoot two radically different cartridges with a quick switch out.

Can anyone else confirm that FMJ 9mm will feed from a 7.62 mag? That would life much easier. If all I had to do was swap ammo, barrels, and a bushing to shoot a little of either...that'd be nide
Old July 19, 2010, 02:42 PM   #31
noelf2

Fiv3 - I can confirm that 9mm will stack in it, but I can't check feed reliability yet. e-sarcoinc still hasn't sent my 9mm bushing. You may want to check previous threads about the reverse conversion you want to do (or perhaps google tok conversions from 9mm to 7.62). I've heard that there are more issues going from a Norinco 9mm to 7.62 than what we are doing here, i.e. you may not be able use a standard tt-30 or 33 barrel. Not sure. Might be easier/cheaper to just get a 7.62 toc and have two guns.
Old July 19, 2010, 03:40 PM   #32
Fiv3

thanks for the info

I actually watched a youtube video and it seems to be pretty easy. The guy just changed out the bushing and the barrel (which I'm having a hard time finding). He changed the recoil spring too, but said it looked identical to the old one.

However, it's not a big deal. I mean, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. But it'd be nice if the 9mm fed from a 7.62 mag without too much issue as those mags are easier to come across and a little cheaper than the 9mm.

A final n00b question:
Are Toks like 1911's? I mean do they all use pretty standard parts whether they are made in Russia or China or wherever?
Old July 19, 2010, 11:37 PM   #33
cougar gt-e

Quote:
I'd just like to say thanks for this thread

I picked up a Norinco 213 in 9mm for a song at the gun show. I really dig it, but I would like to be able to set it up to shoot 7.62 like my CZ52.

I'm hoping that for Christmas my wife can get me the needed parts to convert it. Nothing like having a gun that shoot two radically different cartridges with a quick switch out.
I'm not 100% certain, but from the investigation done, the Norinco 213 9mm pistols were modified to fit the shorter 9mm round. You can go from a 7.62x25 to 9mm, but NOT from 9mm to 7.62. (the early 213's were done on 7.62 guns and they can convert - but I don't know how to ID them from the ones that can't).

For $189 you can get a romanian tok in 7.62 from SOG.
Old July 20, 2010, 08:16 AM   #34
Fiv3

Thanks for the info

I'll just stick with the 9mm for the time being. My CZ52 shoots Tok just fine, and obviously 9mm is going to be around long after the affordable 7.62 dries up.

I do appreciate the time and info
Old July 20, 2010, 02:22 PM   #35
gyvel

Quote:
Can anyone else confirm that FMJ 9mm will feed from a 7.62 mag? That would life much easier. If all I had to do was swap ammo, barrels, and a bushing to shoot a little of either...that'd be nice
I have done it with two Tokarevs, one an original Russian and the other a 54-1 Norinco. 9mm worked just fine through the original long mags on these two guns, but, as I said before, YMMV.
Old July 20, 2010, 04:30 PM   #36
Fiv3

thanks for the info

I have a buddy that is selling his LNIB 9mm chambered T54 for a song. I might pick that one up and see which one I like better. I have another friend looking for a cheap pistol. The 213 might fit his needs nicely
Old July 21, 2010, 08:00 PM   #37
noelf2

Put the 9mm barrel and new bushing on my tok and have a big no-go. It will assemble but the slide stays about 1/8" back when I put the slide retaining pin back through the hole. Could this have something to do with the link on the new barrel?
Old July 21, 2010, 10:58 PM   #38
cougar gt-e

Quote:
Put the 9mm barrel and new bushing on my tok and have a big no-go. It will assemble but the slide stays about 1/8" back when I put the slide retaining pin back through the hole. Could this have something to do with the link on the new barrel?
I don't mean to sound uppity, but did you actually get the retaining pin into the hole in the link? It's easy to miss it and when I did, the result was similar to what you are posting. Just a thought.
Old July 22, 2010, 02:29 PM   #39
noelf2

Pretty sure I did. Tried several times, looked through the hole and made sure the link hole lined up before pushing in the pin through the slide. Gonna try again, just in case.
Old July 22, 2010, 06:26 PM   #40
noelf2

SUCCESS !!! So I punched out the link and pin from the new 9mm barrel and put the link and pin from my original 7.62 barrel in it. Works like a charm. All seems to lock up in battery properly. I put 7 rounds of 9mm in a Tok magazine and didn't bother to try to align the rounds to the front of the mag well (worst case scenario) and they all fed smoothly. I tried to get a round to jam but it wouldn't. I racked the slide slowly, quickly, sideways, upside down and they fed smooth as silk. This solution isn't really what I was looking for as it's a pain to punch out the link each time I want to switch ammo, but it'll do for now.
Old July 23, 2010, 06:46 AM   #41
cougar gt-e

Glad you got the situation fixed. It's odd that the link was different. Can you determine what is different between the 2 links?

Also, what flavor of Tok do you have?

Just curious.

jb
Old July 23, 2010, 09:43 AM   #42
noelf2

It's a Romanian, like yours. Got it at SOG about 2 years ago. I believe that the difference in the links is that the new link has a slightly longer distance between the pin holes, which must have been giving me issues trying to get the slide aligned properly. I believe you were right in that I was missing the hole in the link when pressing in the slide pin initially. I did manage to get the slide pin into the link properly, but then I couldn't rack the slide. Was locked up tight, which made me think the lugs were still engaging the grooves in the slide. I decided to see if the problem was actually the link, and sure enough, it was. Now, a trip to the range is in order!
Old August 15, 2010, 10:12 AM   #43
11B SSG

I had a Chinese made tokerev that was made in 9mm by the manufacturer. the magazine had an insert in it to prevent you from loading 7.62x25 ammo into it and it had a chintzy safety added to it that was horrible. I ended up selling it but sometimes wish I hadn't.

As a practical firearm, I would have rather had a Hi point. Better ergonomics, mag capacity and support.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:02 AM   #44
noelf2

Yeah, but the Hi-Point isn't a "C&R" gun. Don't think you'll find much factory support on any guns discussed in this room either.

Only reason I have a Tok is because I had to have a Tok. For practicality, it isn't one of my personal carry guns, but then again a Hi-Point wouldn't be either (but they certainly do have their niche).
Old August 16, 2010, 11:04 AM   #45
11B SSG

A 9mm Tokerev isn't a C&R either.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:11 AM   #46
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar gt-e
Quote:

<edit>

For $189 you can get a Romanian tok in 7.62 from SOG.
Great thread, and a BIG thanks for the heads-up on the Romy Toks!

cheers!
Old August 16, 2010, 12:11 PM   #47
Fiv3

The more I shoot my 213, the more I actually prefer the 9mm to 7.62 when it comes to carrying it as a practical carry piece. I mean, 7.62 is literally a blast to shoot, but the flash and bang are a little much without ear protection.

I have been carrying the 213 on my hip the last couple of hikes. Cheap, built like a soviet tank, reliable, accurate, and very slim on the hip or in the vest pocket. FMJ 9mm should be more than enough for any critters I might stumble across (raccoons, dogs, etc) that could be hostile.

Still planning on converting a t-54 though.
Old August 16, 2010, 06:10 PM   #48
noelf2

Quote:
A 9mm Tokerev isn't a C&R either.
Touché, however mine certainly can be!
Old August 20, 2014, 10:48 AM   #49
mr bolo

Norinco Type 54 converted to 9mm

I bought my Type 54 back when they were only $79 wholesale

this is one of the best gun purchases I ever made, my 9mm conversion is very reliable, I dont plan on switching back to 7.62 but I saved the barrel and a couple boxes of Chinese military copper washed Tok ammo just in case

Im glad I kept mine, I would never sell it, the original 7.62 mags also work fine, but I also have the special 9mm mags with a spacer inside the magazine.