The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 20, 2007, 03:17 AM   #1
superfast61821

cerama-coat P89 slide?

I am looking at buying a P89 with a rather ugly corroded SS slide. I have seen amazing B4 and after pics of refinishing jobs with ceramacoat i want to know if a semi auto slide would be a okay place to apply this product. or if i should consider another method of restoring, for example buffing? Please help.
Matt
Old February 20, 2007, 07:39 AM   #2
ShipWreck

When U refinish something, there is surface preparation involved. If U have rust, that must be taken off. And if there is pitting, there is restorative work that needs to be done to make it look right. Do NOT just spray this stuff over it w/o taking care of the rust.

I would send the slide off somewhere. Pay to have it done right. The coating itself isn't that expensive, but U need someone who knows how to deal with the rust and such.

I would Google "CCR Refinishing" and contact him and see what he can do for U.
Old February 20, 2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Mac's!

You indicated that it was a Stainless slide. Although Stainless Steel does corrode, it does so very slowly. Usually, the metal parts around it will show corrosion damage much more rapidly. Does it have pitting? Most lilkely, (If it's Stainless) it's just surface damage..blemishes, staining, etc. This can be easily removed with abrasive blasting or by hand with lots of elbow grease using steel wool. It can also be polished to a shine by a 'smith using a buffing wheel.
If you want to apply some type of finish on it, it MUST be abrasive blasted to make the surface rough enough for the finish to be able to properly adhere. If it has pitting, it must be abrasive blasted HARD and "washed" to get any and all contaminants out of the pits. Stainless Steel can be coated with some finishes but it must be properly prepared. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://www.shootiniron.com