The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 04:00 PM   #801
jimbob86

Good Gosh! 800+ replies!

Quote:
For your wife's needs--please do consider the Ruger SP-101 with it's slightly-bit more than 3-inch barrel. This gun will give you all the hairy goodness of the .327 Federal Magnum.
It will also tame the recoil of the .32 H&R rounds .... or lighter handloads of .327Mag .

I still want one. Not going to happen soon.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:47 PM   #802
Glenn E. Meyer

Good idea about the OP!

I went to the gun show and one guy had 32 Mag and 327 mag at normal prices. So I bought some!

Guess being an less than well known round worked for me.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:16 PM   #803
Gdawgs

My mom and dad are back in town visiting. Dad picked up some goodies for me back in ND. A box of 50 rounds of 327 ammo, 2 pounds of W231, 1 pound of True Blue powder. 2,000 primers, a box of 85 gr XTPs and a box of 100 gr XTPs. Will most likely load up some more 327s tomorrow and hit the range! I'm excited to try some hotter loads. So far I've just shot some wussy loads through my new SP101, but so far I like it!
Old March 3, 2013, 07:09 PM   #804
Cesure

Quote:
For your wife's needs--please do consider the Ruger SP-101 with it's slightly-bit more than 3-inch barrel. This gun will give you all the hairy goodness of the .327 Federal Magnum.
The main reason for wanting the .327 was to get a lighter, short barreled, 6-shot handgun without the recoil of a .38. She would be happy with a light, 6-shot, .32 H&R Magnum. The Plan B is a Charter Arms Undercoverette (5-shot). But I'll check out CDNN for the 6-shot Taurus.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:20 PM   #805
Sevens

In that case, the Taurus may end up being exactly what you need and if CDNN still has them, you'll get it for a heckuva price.
Old March 3, 2013, 07:52 PM   #806
Cesure

Quote:
In that case, the Taurus may end up being exactly what you need and if CDNN still has them, you'll get it for a heckuva price.
I just wish there was a Ruger or Smith that would meet her criteria. Charter and Taurus have been patching up their bad reps, but an LCR or BG option would be attractive.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:21 PM   #807
jdennis27

.327 Federal Club thread

I just bought a GP100 .327 not too long ago, and I love it. It was my first handgun, so I spent quite a bit of time researching all of the many options out there, but I fell in love with this new round. Whenever I talk about it with friends, family, etc, it usually generates a bit of skepticism, but after I take them out shooting with it, everyone who gets the chance to ends up loving it. And every time I go to the range, I always have people coming up and asking about it because they can't figure out how I have 7 shots of what they assume is a bigger, more "traditional" round. So all told, I think it's super fun to shoot, and it's fun to meet new people because of the interest it generates---and to me that's what really matters when it comes down to it.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:36 PM   #808
9mm

ONly gun I know of thats made in 327 still is A Taurus revolver, seen them from CDNN ads. $320 super cheap, I saw a review once on Taurusarmed forum and the guy liked it. Personally I never seen the ammo in stores or gun shows.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:46 PM   #809
Cesure

Quote:
ONly gun I know of thats made in 327 still is A Taurus revolver, seen them from CDNN ads. $320 super cheap, I saw a review once on Taurusarmed forum and the guy liked it. Personally I never seen the ammo in stores or gun shows.
Can guns be bought online from CDNN? I can't find any gun ads from them. At that price, I might pay the extra to have it sent to a local FFL.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:03 PM   #810
Cesure

Quote:
CDNN is all sold out on the Model 327. The only one I've found is available for $499.99. The Ruger GP100 and S&W Model 632 both have longer barrels.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:49 PM   #811
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Did you accidentally transpose the digits in that price?
CDNN and Impact Guns usually have the Taurus snubby advertised for $230 to $250. (I wouldn't pay $320 for one, even if they threw in 3 boxes of ammo.)

And you've got that all wrong.
Taurus is no longer making a .327 Federal revolver. They started with a pair of 3" (rare) and 3.5" (very rare) models to test the market, before making the snubby their standard offering. The snubby got some bad press and didn't sell well. So, it was discontinued. The revolvers still on the market are remnants from before the model was discontinued.

Ruger still makes the GP-100, and has only temporarily taken the SP-101 and Blackhawk out of production (they are not discontinued).

Freedom Arms still chambers .327 Federal.

S&W still offers it, as well.

The USFA Sparrowhawk was discontinued, but it was pretty pricey anyway. (And it looks like the company may have folded.)

And ammo?
It must just be disliked in your area. With the exception of Sportsman's Warehouse, every gun store or 'outdoor' retailer in my area has had .327 Federal as a stocked item, for at least 3 years. Several of them carry every personal defense and hunting load available from ATK (Federal, Speer, American Eagle, etc), often giving .327 Federal a wider variety of options than .38 Special or .357 Mag.
Even the tiny little "Mom and Pop" shops have at least the 100 gr AE load on their shelves, and at a reasonable price ($23-26 / box).

.327 Federal is still out there. You just may not notice, if you aren't looking for it.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:17 PM   #812
Gdawgs

Quote:
Freedom Arms still chambers .327 Federal.
Oh if money was no object I'd be all over that one! Owning an FA is on my bucket list. Picking the caliber would be the difficult decision, but the 327 might be just the ticket.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #813
Glenn E. Meyer

Most of the online big box stores have 327 - Cabela's does. I've seen it at the stores too. They also have 32 magnum.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:03 PM   #814
farmboy

Hey, you bullet casters out there- I just bought a Lee 6 cavity .32 caliber mold. This one:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/254...1-ogive-radius

Does anyone out there use this mold? Suggestions?
Old March 6, 2013, 02:41 AM   #815
jason hammac

I am so fed up with S&W not making a K frame 327, I took a reamer to my two 16-4's in 32 magnum and made them now shoot the 327. I find 327 ammo a lot now online.
Old March 6, 2013, 05:06 AM   #816
Sevens

Wow, you've got TWO 16 dash 4's? You've got like a percentage of them. Dang things are rare. If I ever get one, I will also magnumize it.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:20 PM   #817
Glenn E. Meyer

SMITH & WESSON MODEL 30-1 32 S&W

What's a good price for this - the LGS is t $599. It's cute but that seems high. It's nickeled - I don't think those were SS but I would have to look it up.

Glenn
Old March 6, 2013, 03:25 PM   #818
The Great Mahoo

.327 Federal Club thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
And ammo?
It must just be disliked in your area. With the exception of Sportsman's Warehouse, every gun store or 'outdoor' retailer in my area has had .327 Federal as a stocked item, for at least 3 years. Several of them carry every personal defense and hunting load available from ATK (Federal, Speer, American Eagle, etc), often giving .327 Federal a wider variety of options than .38 Special or .357 Mag.
Even the tiny little "Mom and Pop" shops have at least the 100 gr AE load on their shelves, and at a reasonable price ($23-26 / box)
327 never really caught on around me. Few of the shops seem to carry ammo for it. The one shop I used to frequent was good about keeping self-defense loads, but j don't think they ever had range quality stuff. The local indoor range would get cheap stuff now and again, but I never got any defense rounds there, and they were inconsistent.

I think I may be the only guy in the area with a .327. Hopefully it will be available again sometime soon, and at a reasonable price!
Old March 9, 2013, 11:40 AM   #819
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, the fiber optic and white U rear sight for my 327 have come in to the LGS. I will take it there for them to be fitted. That will be a nice combo as my eyes like more visibility nowadays.

I have notice that Cabelas usually has some 327 in stock - while the others are out.

PS - today they have 32 Mag and 327
Old March 17, 2013, 10:39 AM   #820
Glenn E. Meyer

A follow-up Cabelas and Academy have fair amounts of Federal and American Eagle 327 on the shelves and on line places do also.

Not the cheapest for 50 rounds of American Eagle - 27 bucks.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:24 AM   #821
FAN556

.327 ammo is in great supply (AE 85gr & 100gr, Fed HP 85gr) at Cabela's in Allen as well, though still not cheap. I haven't seen any at any other local stores in a couple of weeks.

I did pick up a Ruger GP-100 at Cabela's a month or so ago and once I get the front ramp replaced with a fiber optic sight it's going to be damn near perfect.
Old March 18, 2013, 02:36 PM   #822
alex0535

I like the idea of the .327 Federal. Tame recoil, high velocity, hard hitting, these are things that I can get on board with.

Comparing some graphs on the barrel length and muzzle energies of the .327 and .357, it seems like they have similar performance with 4-6" barrels. Similar enough that I could live with a little bit less energy for gaining an extra round in the cylinder.

The .327 federal magnum Ruger GP-100 looks really appealing.

Do you folks expect for the .327 federal magnum to survive for a while? It seems like one of those calibers that people don't like just because they haven't tried it or looked into it yet but it seems to make a lot of sense to me. Might have to look around and see what ammo availability is around here.
Old March 18, 2013, 03:13 PM   #823
Sevens

In my circles, factory ammo is available. Funny, because they have a bunch of it in places that happen to bother to carry ammo for oddball chamberings. While every round of rimfire, 9 & .45 is out of stock, .327 Federal is sitting nicely on the shelf.

If you are NOT a handloader and don't intend to handload, then you are taking a bit of a risk by jumping on board with .327 Federal. If you handload or feel as though you will, you'll do fine. Component brass is out there and Starline makes it also. .312" slugs are on the market as well.

During the current panic, NONE of this stuff -- ammo, components, or guns are being produced in .327 Federal, because it's -FAR- down the list. But like everything, it will come back. And because it's a revolver, you won't lose your brass in the weeds.

So regardless of whether "it will die" as a caliber, we'll still be shooting it until WE die.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:40 PM   #824
Cesure

I just officially joined the club by buying a Taurus Model 327 by online auction. I'm taking a chance, but I'm a patient guy and willing to take some risks. My wife wanted a 6-shot snubby that was light and shoots something small but powerful. I think she needed something that let her shoot wimpy to powerful rounds. This gun can. Neither of us have shot one, but I'll find a way to make the grip fit. I'm just getting into reloading and starting with the .32 S&W in a gun that can handle .327 Federal Mag seems like a good way to begin.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:45 PM   #825
BillCA

Alex, I think the .327 will be around for a while. Only the current political landscape has slowed it down significantly. While I expect commercial ammo to remain "pricey" for a while, I also expect that some people will take a second look at the .327 in the near future (e.g. around 2016). There are some good advantages to the .327, some of which you mentioned. Others are...
  • Reloading is very economical with .32 caliber bullets and smaller powder loads
  • The .32 caliber ammo sells slower if there is another run on ammo.
  • The revolver can fire 3-4 different cartridges of different power levels.
  • Eventually someone like Marlin will give us a lever gun in .327, coyotes beware!
  • The SP-101 in .327 makes a dandy carry gun.

Cesure
I agree with you. Using .327 to learn to reload .32 S&W or even .32 H&R Mag will leave you a considerable margin of safety. The .32 S&W is a joy when reloading as it takes little powder, it pleasingly mild to shoot and is nice to the wallet.