The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2000, 05:20 AM   #1
cheyenne

I never reloaded that caliber before and I am just wandering if I could reload lead bullets ?
Do you guys have some experience with lead in this caliber ?
Being a high pressure cartridge what about lead deposit in the barrel?
Are the lead bullets (170 or 180 gr.) accurate ? What powders to use ?
Otherwise what is you favorite bullet in this calber ?
Old March 4, 2000, 10:14 AM   #2
tonyz

Lead would be fine to load. I would get my bullets from lazercast as there bullets have not left any leading in my guns , even with
higher pressure loads.and they're the most accurate bullet that I have used.

Good luck and enjoy
Tonyz
Old March 4, 2000, 02:26 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

Have a 10mm that has only seen lead bullets and have not had any problems shooting them. Being that you are using 40 instead, will assume that it is being shot from a auto. I would be more concerned with the gun maybe not having a fully supported chamber, leading in the polygonal rifling and bullet seat depth. All these things can cause a high pressure KBM. Good observation skill are needed to avoid a problem.

Make sure that you have the proper seat depth and that the bullets are secured tightly to the cases. Check your cases frequently, make sure that there are no high pressure signs or bulges. Inspect the rifling ever 50 or 100 rounds, make sure that there is no excessive leading.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited March 04, 2000).]
Old March 4, 2000, 06:08 PM   #4
Banzai

And here is one of the major reason why Glocks kB!

Seriously, though, there are no problems with reloading 40 S&W with lead bullets. I use the Lee 175gn molds with no problems at all in my Sigs.
Heres what to look out for: Resize all the cases and measure them carefully. If using a Glock, never never never never use anything but the starting load.
Pay careful attention to neck tension and seating depth. What usually happens in a kB (in ANY 40 gun) is that the bullet slips back in the case while sliding up the feed ramp, thus raising pressures dangerously and quickly. Combine that with the Glock's polygonal rifling (raises pressures due to lead bullet sliding before twisting upon entering the forcing cone) and a sloppy chamber, as well as a wide area below the feed ramp and.....BOOM.
This can happen with reloads or factory ammo in any gun, and is usually seem with the heavier of the bullets available for any given caliber. Heavier bullets take more pressure to accelerate them, thus, when they set back or "jam" a little more than usual, pressure spikes and mechanical limits get reached quickly!
Be very careful of used brass, unless it is your own, and be extra careful of Glock brass, due to bulging and resizing problems.
These are generalizations, and many people don't ever have any problem, but I've seen a half dozen 40 S&W kB's in the last year, 4 Glocks and 1 Simth and 1 CZ. About 50/50 reloads/factory. One Glock peeled like a bananna and set off the top two rounds in the mag, as well! The guy lost a finger. Not to scare you, but as with any reloading, attention to detail and common sense applies in everything.
Keep the velocities below 1000 fps and leading won't be much of a problem. Using a good lead removing solvent and a spiral brush as well as regular brushes works great for me.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!

[This message has been edited by Banzai (edited March 04, 2000).]
Old March 5, 2000, 02:28 AM   #5
Cheapo

Keep the Brinnel hardness at or above 20 and you'll do okay.

Finest accuracy has been with my own cast 180s over the now-discontinued WAP, and Oregon Trail 155s over Power Pistol (measure adjustment fatigue from never getting it exactly where I wanted it left this load .04 grain over what the Oregon Trail loading manual calls for in the Glock loads section).

Last time out, 100 rounds left less leading than anything I've ever used. Five strokes with a brush and almost all was gone!

Do NOT try to make major velocities with 180s and WW231 powder. It's too easy to get pressure spikes. That experience acquainted me with the Glock bulge and crease before the problem was well-publicized.

Be smart and use only your own brass.
Old March 5, 2000, 05:45 AM   #6
cheyenne

Thanks guys, I will follow your advice.
I think the Steyr m40 has a conventional rifled barrel and supported chamber instead of the Glock.