The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2002, 04:47 AM   #1
Blast

exotic 12ga. ammo

Has anybody tried the exotic 12ga. ammo and other novel items advertised on fire-balls.com?
Old June 30, 2002, 07:14 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

"exotic" ammunition has little to reccommend it. it can be hard on barrels, it serves no useful purpose, and invites liability claims if you use it for home defense. I'd stay away from it.
Old June 30, 2002, 09:44 PM   #3
glockten

I've shot the Dragon's Breath, but only after a heavy rain, as the risk of a brushfire is very real.

Huge tongue of flame, much fun to shoot. Immediate, thorough cleaning of shotgun is recommended; residue in barrel is heavy, foul-smelling, and probably corrosive.
Old June 30, 2002, 10:20 PM   #4
Coronach

I think the only possible reason for buying it is "just because." As in "yeah, I wanna shoot two weights connected by a chain out of my shotgun, just because."

Other than that it is pretty much turing money into noise.

I would love, however, to slip one dragonsbreath round into a friend's tube as a joke. Kinda like the old exploding cigarette gag, only larger. And more dangerous (which is why its fun to think about and not to actually do).

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 1, 2002, 02:18 AM   #5
CWL

While I agree that most of the 'exotic' loads is crap, I've always wondered about some 'buck & ball' loads I've seen. Reminds me of Civil War loads.

Does anyone have any experience with these?
Old July 1, 2002, 04:33 AM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Amen to the exotic stuff being egregious. I like my shotguns too much to use this.

CWL, folks I know have loaded up a bore diameter round ball along with several .375 balls to duplicate the old M/L load for close work. Some testing was done on milk jugs in my presence. Awesome effect, but not more than running 00 or a slug into those jugs.

Some informal patterning of a few rounds showed the big ball didn't group with the smaller ones. Good for shooting at large groups of Redcoats, but not individual targets.

HTH....