The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 22, 2001, 08:00 PM   #1
marsh

Wondering date of manufacture of 9mm K. Walther PPK #1053XX-A. Brown plastic grips, rectangular firing pin, and a lanyard loop. Country of origin not on slide where it usually is but it is stamped on frame in different type font looking like an afterthought.

Thanks,

Marsh
Old February 23, 2001, 09:41 AM   #2
Strayhorn

Can't provide much info with just a serial number - what county is indicated as the place of manufacture?

Does it say "made under license of" Carl Walther? If so, it's US made, as most .380 PPKs in this country were.

If it is German made, it should say either "Zella-Methis" or "Ulm Do" as the city of manufacture. If it says "Zella-Methis", it's pre-war. The factory was moved to Ulm in the 1950s.

If it says "Made in France" it was made during the years that Walther operated at the Manhurin plant, just across the border in France, right after the war. Manhurin PPKs are really, really rare in the US.

Is it blued or stainless?

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old February 23, 2001, 08:04 PM   #3
marsh

ppk

It says "made in west-germany" in tiny letters on the frame above the serial number and mag. release. On the slide, the city of mfg. is Ulm/Do but no country there as on my other Walthers. I know it has to be pre-68 as it was banned from import in 68 because Senator Dodd felt it was icky-poo.

Is the number (64) on the side of the barrel with the proof mark the date of mfr.? My other Walthers have two letters with the proof mark.

The things that throw me are the lanyard loop on the butt and the brown grips.

Thanks

marsh
Old February 26, 2001, 10:21 AM   #4
Strayhorn

It's most likely a piece made in the late 50s or early 60s, as you suspect. I don't have a serial number list with me, unfortunately.

The lanyard loop and brown grips were standard on the original pistol and it was made in this fashion for a long time, up until the late 70s if I recall correctly. Since their primary customers were police departments, the lanyard loop was specified for security purposes.

Several state-level law enforcement groups used the PPK as a back-up piece for a while (Kentucky comes to mind, I have seen a PPK with a Kentucky Highway Patrol number engraved on the frontstrap) so this may be a police trade-in.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old February 27, 2001, 09:30 PM   #5
marsh

Thanks very much.

marsh