The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 12, 2007, 12:02 PM   #1
kenneth owens

9mm loads with universal clays??

I picked up some universal clays at a local store it was $5.oo a can!!!!
they said they just wanted it off of the shelves,so my question is do you guys have any accuracy loads with this powder? its going to be used in my
9mm glock. bullets are 115 xtps,starline brass(new) I could not turn that price down! is this a clean/dirty powder?
Old October 12, 2007, 12:37 PM   #2
jdmick

Good score. Universal Clays is my favorite 9mm powder. Very clean and accurate using up to 5.0g for a jacketed 115g bullet.
Old October 12, 2007, 04:01 PM   #3
BigJimP

I'm assuming you paid $ 5 a lb - and that's a great deal - with the normal price being about $ 16 a lb.

The other response gave you the "Max Load" for 9mm - so check your loading manuals for the Minimum to start with.

My only concern on Universal - is how well it will meter for a 9mm case. The size of the granule is a little bigger than I would like. I don't know what you've been using for 9mm - but in terms of pistol powders, Universal is a little slower burning than a Hodgdon Titegroup as an example which is one of their primary handgun powders. But Universal has a lot of handgun and shotgun loads - so it's "Universal" in a lot of situations. In shotguns, I find it a little dirty, especially in 20ga, but I like it in a 28ga shotgun load which is really the only place I use much of it.
Old October 12, 2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Universal is pretty much an Australian copy of Unique and does very well in pistol ammo. Hodgdon has data for it in nearly all calibers.
Old October 12, 2007, 05:47 PM   #5
eerw

been playing with Universal in my CZ..so far I really like it..really mild load, virtually no flash in lowlight or indoor ranges, very consistent across my chronography..
Old October 12, 2007, 07:58 PM   #6
kenneth owens

well,the local store which is wallyworld,had a clearance shelf way in the back
they had 6 1lb containers of universal,I could not get over the 5.oo bucks per can!! so now I have all 6 cans under my reloading bench thanks for the info guys!!
Old October 13, 2007, 06:57 AM   #7
DMZX

Quote:
Good score. Universal Clays is my favorite 9mm powder. Very clean and accurate using up to 5.0g for a jacketed 115g bullet.
It took me a bit to come to the same conclusion. That is a great load. Low flash and smoke. Point and shoot.
Old October 13, 2007, 09:58 PM   #8
Shell Shucker

I love Universal in the 9mm. My favorite load is 5.0gr under a Winchester 115 FMJ. I've shot thousands of them and couldn't be happier! Accurate, clean, velocity is as advertised, and meters fine in my Dillon SD-B.