The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Ac1d0v3r1d3

The practical firearm accumulation?

Howdy folks.
I was just doing some thinking. And I'm wondering how to go about prioritizing my firearms. I have a sort of an accumulation more than a collection of fire arms. I do have firearms that fit my needs, but I have some that are not optimal, and some that are nearly duplicates of others.
Some are good firearms but the ammo is either difficult to find in either quality or quantity.

I'm thinking that the categories might be something like this.
CCW Pistol
Inside Home Defense Shotgun
Outside Home Defense Semi Automatic magazine fed rifle
Varmint Control Small caliber center fire bolt action rifle with scope / shotgun
Long Range / Deer rifle Large Caliber center fire bolt action rifle with scope
Training .22 caliber rifle/pistol

If you have similar needs please tell me which firearms you use. I'm thinking that I might just need to modernize my collection some. I'd like a modern semi auto magazine fed rifle in a modern chambering and probably a bolt action rifle in the same caliber. I'm thinking .223/5.56

I'm also looking to do some training since it won't help to have a battery of arms without the knowledge of how and when to use them. The problem is that I live in the middle of no where so I don't really have the option of going to a school. I'm sure that if I made it a priority I could manage, but I don't want to travel for schooling. So any suggestions for self training would be great. I already shoot clays and shoot off hand or from an impromptu bench, but I'd like to learn to shoot while moving. And if any one has suggestions for drills that improved their shooting I'd love to hear them.
I'm also thinking that I should keep a stock of ammo and magazines on hand. How many of each do you all keep around?

Thanks
-Chris
Old January 27, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Nine the Ranger

In the shotgun role I use a Mossberg 500 in 20 Gauge, but only because I don't care for 12 too much, but I'm learning to use one better.

As for the HD Rifle, I like the Ruger Mini-14, it's light, handy, simple, and reliable. It took me all of 5 minutes to figure out the operation and safty. And takes about 2 minutes to fieldstrip and clean, and the .223/5.56 fires a nice little round great for HD.
Old January 27, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Ac1d0v3r1d3

I'm sorry I should be more clear. I'm quite competent with firearms. I don't need some one to show me how to operate them. When I talk about schools I mean fighting schools. Where you learn and practice drills, tactics, fundamentals etc.
Old January 27, 2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Moby

Consider finding a three gun club in your area.
You'll quickly realize most of US are not as trained as we think are.
Look at the rapid fire and distance of the pistol range. Get good at three gun and you're well trained.
I good Three gun Shooter is AWESOME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvdyCGZUfo
“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus
Old January 27, 2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Ac1d0v3r1d3

I know that I'm not as well trained as I would like to be, that is why I am asking about training...
Old January 28, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Ac1d0v3r1d3

Another question. Do you all have doubles or back ups to you main guns? It makes sense to me to have two CCw pistols for example. Or two rifles capable of taking down a coyote.
Old January 28, 2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Dre_sa

I've a bolt action .308, an AR-15 and a pistol at the moment. the only gaps I can see in my accumulation are for a good shotgun, and an old military bolt rifle. That and some .22's for plinking / practice.

As far as training is concerned, it seems your best bet would be to join up for 3 gun competition, it will at least get you to transition between multiple targets and make good hits.

And as far as backups are concerned, I can see the value in having duplicates / extras, but I just cannot afford them right now.
Old January 28, 2013, 02:36 PM   #8
DaleA

Since the guy is "in the middle of nowhere" I'm thinking getting to a club to shoot might not be too practical for him.

Anybody have any recommendations for some video's the guy could buy?

After trying it on his own for a while, maybe when summer comes around he would want to find a club and get some hands on training. Practicing some drills on his own after watching them done on a video might make him more confident about taking some training.
Old January 28, 2013, 03:07 PM   #9
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
School in Washington State: Seattle Firearms Institute has good reviews. If you want to get training you do need to go out of your way to get it. You might need to take time off to get that weekend of training. And I would not consider tactical competitions training. There is no coaching which is what the school will do for you.

Video: Search for Panteo productions "Make Ready" series (I got one with Pat Rodgers and one with Travis Haley when I bought my last BCM upper. Good info.)

The Magpul "Art of" videos are good if you can get them.

From your description you could combine the Varmint/Outside HD/Inside HD with either an AR-15 or a shotgun. An AR-15 in 5.56 with a larger caliber upper, say .300 AAC or 7.62x39, would serve for deer hunting as well as varmints, be they two legged or otherwise. A 20 gauge shotgun minimizes meat damage in deer but provides adequate payload for other applications. I know my Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and Winchester Supreme sabots can hit paper plate accuracy at 150 yards, and you are unlikely to be shooting past 100 yards despite where you hunt. (personal experience, I've only seen and had one opportunity to take an ethical shot at over 200 yards, the rest has been 100 and under)