The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 23, 1999, 08:58 AM   #1
ctdonath

The gun is bought, the fingerprints taken, the photos taken, the paperwork is ready. All I need is the infamous CLEO Signoff line signed. Any suggestions?
Old July 23, 1999, 10:52 PM   #2
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Guess your talking Class III?

What I did was get together all my paper work along with any credentials I had, (NRA Instructor Documentation, Gunsite Documentation, FFL Documentation, etc), dressed up in Business Attire (polished shoes, pressed slacks & Shirt, Braces (suspenders for you country folks) and tie. No jacket... too formal IMO. Walked into his office and requested to make an appointment. He just happend to be in and not busy.

But, be professional, curtious. Have your duck in line on the reasons you want a class III, State your case like Tom Sellick tried to do on Rosie.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old July 23, 1999, 11:54 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good advice given by Gunny.

Haircut (not bald or close shaven though since you don't want to look like a neo-nasty). No earrings, noserings or flashy jewelry. Simple watch. If you're married, wear your wedding band (auuuggghhh - not that) and carry a picture of your significant other.

Hide any tattoos which may be deemed untasteful (unless you can say it was gotten while you were in the service). Cops understand military and the ritual of getting a tattoo. But tattoos and gangs have a different connotation.

Brush you teeth and don't eat garlic. No alcohol the day before which could sweat out during your visit.

These are the types of things aspiring LEOs should do when going for a job interview. Same stuff may apply for Class III if the LEO doesn't already know you.

Sorry if I sound silly or too much like "dad", but first impressions are important. Good luck and BTW, being nosy, whatcha gitt'n?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old July 24, 1999, 12:34 PM   #4
Kodiac

I would have to take out the earing?

Ahh shucks, Dad....

Okay - for a class 3, I'll take it out...

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

Old July 24, 1999, 03:20 PM   #5
ctdonath

Kinda what I was planning on. Nothing funny in my appearance, look decent in a tie. I'll gather up paperwork: NY & NH carry permits, LFI I-IV certificates, Weapon Retention Instructor certification, American Society Of Law Enforcement Trainers and International Association Of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors memberships, purchase receipts, FFL->FFL transfer paperwork, and anything else I can think of and you guys suggest.

Was thinking to mail a letter requesting a meeting, possibly including copies of above paperwork. Don't want to just show up suddenly: methinks things are more likely to go bad that way ("well, I really don't know about this Class III stuff, come back later...much later...").

There is, of course, "why?" "As shown by my certificates, I've been studying firearms for about six years. In addition to training in common rifles, shotguns, and handguns, I'd like to educate myself and others about using and obtaining more unusual weapons and improve my value as a firearms instructor. This item also makes an interesting and fitting addition to my collection, and the manufacturer recently stopped making them so I'd like to obtain it for collection value as well as educational value. As for my place in this community, I'm the third generation of Donaths to live in Batavia." Or something like that.

Whutzit? Itza Mossberg 590 Compact Mariner AOW: 12 guage, 14" barrel, no stock. "What's the world's most powerful handgun?" "Well, there's several contenders; let me show you one..." http://www.securityArms.com/galleryfiles/144.htm

Old July 24, 1999, 03:36 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

I would suggest asking around (dealers, cop friends) first and find out how your CLEO feels about Class III and possibly whether or not he is likely to sign off.

You probably have several options which count as your CLEO (cheif of Police, County sheriff, County District Attorney, etc..). It will be best to get a yes the first time, rather than have to try to get one of them to "override" a previous refusal to sign off.

------------------
-Essayons

Old July 25, 1999, 08:03 PM   #7
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

> Was thinking to mail a letter requesting a meeting <

I disagree. First impressions are lasting. If you mail a letter he may do a check on you. Depending on his mindset this could lead to a "incorrect picture".

I'd do the tie thing, have my credentials in a nice portfoleo (sp?), hair cut, etc and just show up. This way you present a clean first impression. If he wants to check you of Class III things out, at least he will have a professional impression of you in his mind when he's reading the information.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old July 26, 1999, 11:14 AM   #8
mguntony

I definately agree with Gunny, no letter prior to showing up. I have had several transfers and am lucky, the sherif knows me well and has no problems. I too think the clean cut look and straight forward approach is the best. If you can, try to choose a time that he would not be busy in general. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Old July 26, 1999, 01:58 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Edited and deleted. Meant as a joke, but might be misunderstood.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited July 26, 1999).]