The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2014, 10:52 AM   #26
Skans

Quote:
The Smith and Glock are the only 2 that have consistently proven to work well in 10mm.

The EAA's are a decent gun in other calibers, but their 10mm's are doubtful. Same with 1911's. Some work, many don't.
That's simply not true with regard to the EAA in 10mm. Some work, many don't??? Are you saying this from experience? Mine is rock solid and reliable. Check out the thickness of the bull barrel on the Stock! I've put many rounds through my Stock (now "Limited Pro", except the original Stock has the bull barrel) and it functions flawlessly. Accuracy is outstanding. Some nice upgrades are also available through Hennings.

There are also plenty of 1911's (like Dan Wesson's) that handle 10mm flawlessly. I don't know about the lower end Witnesses - I don't have one, so I can't comment. The trigger on my Stock 10mm vs. the trigger on my Glock 17 is like comparing a Hi-Power to a Hi-Point.

FWIW, the triggers on the S&W 3rd gens, like the the 1006, are sloppy and gritty, and the 1006 only holds 9+1 rounds. They are rugged and reliable, I will give you that.

Pesonally, I'd look for a good used ORIGINAL EAA Stock - the one with the bull barrel. Trust me, it will have no problem handling full-load 10mm. It is da/sa and has the best da/sa trigger I've ever experienced - very close to a good true single action in sa mode. I don't know why anyone would pay extra for an extended dust cover and I don't know why EAA no longer includes a bull barrel with the EAA Limited Pro. Anyway, I know these are all higher end Tanfoglios and not cheap. You could probably find an original Stock lightly used in the $750 range. It's a heck of a lot of gun for the money!!!

Last edited by Skans; October 8, 2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old October 8, 2014, 11:21 AM   #27
mavracer

I have a 1076, A Old Delta Elite and a DW. Both the 1911s have been upgraded to a ramped barrel. I would reccomend only looking at 1911s that have a ramped barrel.
Smiths 10xx are tanks but their triggers are OK at best.
I've had a few EAAs including a compact 10mm and have had good luck with them, my only problem is the DA trigger reach, but if I ever find a EAA Match in 10mm with the old bomar style sight I'll snap it up, unless I give up before then and buy the hunter.
If I hadn't had my DW I would have looked at a Kimber stainless target as they do have the right features, I just am really leary of Kimber's QC, I have no doubt I could get it to run like my 38 Super Kimber does, I just dont like doing it to a $1000 pistol.
BTW my recient Colts have had exellent fit and finish and would buy a DE over the Kimber in a heartbeat if Colt put a ramped barrel in it.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

Last edited by mavracer; October 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old October 8, 2014, 02:59 PM   #28
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw
I have two P220 in .45 ACP and love both of them.
Why two? Is one an SAO and the other a DA/SA?
Old October 8, 2014, 04:19 PM   #29
WIN1886

I have a Sig P220 Match Elite and a Dan Wesson 1911's in both .45 and 10mm (latest Razorbacks have a with ramped barrel )....I personally prefer the 1911's but everyone is different ! I think it is great that Sig is going to offer the P220 chambered for 10mm in the future.and may take a serious look at one too ! I will never tell someone else what to buy because the fit and feel of a handgun is to each own's preference...same with DA vs SA , double vs single stack , and many other options that are best for you !

However , if you want a 10mm that will handle + 250,000 rounds of maximum loaded ammo , you don't have to ever clean or lube , can be left in your unheated garage regardless of weather , will withstand sand , mud , freezing drizzle , spilled beer , crappy reloads , and never fail.. good luck J/K , enjoy whatever you get ! :
Old October 8, 2014, 05:32 PM   #30
lamarw

Why do I have two Sig P220's?

In my opinion they are quality pistols. You could say I like them, and they appeal to me. Whereas, I have yet to find a Glock that was appealing. This is not knocking Glock since they are popular pistols. To each his or her own.

Another reason is because I got great deals on both of them. I bought the P200 ST in 2012 used for less than $550.00. Then about a year later I stumble across the P220 Nitron for even less money and new in the box. It was a deal too good to pass on especially since I knew I liked the pistol.

I think you will agree with my choices after looking at the below pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig P220's 1.jpg (200.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Sig P220's 2.jpg (188.6 KB, 28 views)
Old October 8, 2014, 05:39 PM   #31
Mr.RevolverGuy

Don't overlook Para

Just another option may or may not be a little out of the price range.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=3930
Old October 8, 2014, 05:41 PM   #32
Mike_Fontenot

Thanks for your reply ... I don't know much of anything about Sigs (P220's or otherwise), but your pics look like they are DA/SA as far as I can tell. I've just been curious why most P220 owners seem to have the DA/SA versions. With the DA/SA versions, can you cock the hammer during the draw if you want to?
Old October 8, 2014, 06:29 PM   #33
lamarw

The two I own and shown in my picture are Single Action/Double Action. Sig Sauer does make a Single Action Only Model P220.

Enjoy this link for more information to include specifications:

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductLi...tols-p220.aspx
Old October 9, 2014, 08:22 PM   #34
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
I am really fond of the 1911 platform. It's the bottom feeder I shoot best.
What more is there to say? You NEED a 10mm 1911. Personally I have an original Delta Elite, but I can't for the life of me understand the guy that posted he had parts flying off his. Mine has been perfect since the late 80s, with absolutely no wimp loads through. It was recently supplanted by a Glock 29, but only because it is still lovely and I wanted it to stay that way, and you simply can't ugly up a Glock in the woods. But, the Colt will be the last of my pistols to go, if and when I start paring down my collection. Kimber makes the 1911 with the best casehead support, if'n you're thinking thermonuclear loads. The Dan Wessons are also quite nice, and I have no idea who else makes a 10mm 1911, but definitely if you find a deal on a Colt, snatch it up.
Old October 9, 2014, 09:04 PM   #35
WIN1886

Quote:
I have no idea who else makes a 10mm 1911

Guncrafter Ind. , Para Ordnance , Nighthawk , Rock Island , Wilson , Fusion , and STI....to name a few more you didn't mention !

Mentioning the Colt DE...a friend of mine has had one for two decades and it is still going strong ! Even so , I sure wish Colt wouldn't be so stubborn and finally offer a ramped barrel and my own preference of a fiber optic front sight with a bomar style rear adjustable option...okay I'm done wishing !

Last edited by WIN1886; October 9, 2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old October 11, 2014, 10:54 PM   #36
Hunter0924

I have 2 10mm Autos that I use.
My edc is a Glock 20 Gen 3 and it is a fine handgun.
I also have a new Delta Elite and favor that pistol for shooting. It is more comfortable and more accurate.

My review on the Delta Elite

http://rangehot.com/got-chocolate-peanut-butter/
Old October 13, 2014, 08:50 PM   #37
Arizona Fusilier

"Personally I have an original Delta Elite, but I can't for the life of me understand the guy that posted he had parts flying off his."

Well it happened, that plunger assembly between the safety and the slide release.

Now, full disclosure; it was that original Norma 200gr Truncated Cone. Still, that's was the only off-the-shelf loading available, and it was heavily implied that it could handle that.
Old October 15, 2014, 04:58 PM   #38
RickB

Plunger tubes were falling off of 1911s long before the 10mm cartridge was invented.
Old October 15, 2014, 07:38 PM   #39
Arizona Fusilier

I suspect you are right.

Still, not exactly a rousing endorsement of the 1911, is it? Or, perhaps, more accurately and fairly, Colt's quality control.
Old October 16, 2014, 11:23 AM   #40
RickB

Colts have occasionally been sold with unstaked or improperly staked plunger tubes. I bought a new Colt in '03, and the plunger tube could be pulled out with the fingers. My circa 1988 Delta has no such issue, but I'm sure it has happened across the entire model range, and not just Colt, over the last 100 years.
If you have proper 1911 grips, you won't know if the plunger is loose as the grips are designed to pin the tube against the frame; don't know why grip makers ignore that design feature, but I won't use grips that don't cover the tube.
Old October 16, 2014, 04:35 PM   #41
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Now, full disclosure; it was that original Norma 200gr Truncated Cone. Still, that's was the only off-the-shelf loading available, and it was heavily implied that it could handle that.
It can, mine did, and many other loads just as heavy or heavier. Wimpiest load mine ever digested was 170 gr hp @ 1200 fps. Sorry you got a bad one.
Old October 17, 2014, 08:09 PM   #42
orionengnr

Dan Wesson makes a pretty decent 1911 in 10mm, and has for a while.
Quite a few of them out there.
One in my safe, as a matter of fact.

I almost added a Glock 20 to the mix a couple years ago, but I handload for my 10mm, and I've seen first hand what 10mm Glocks do to their brass. It's enough to make a grown man (me) cry.
Old October 17, 2014, 09:42 PM   #43
Sevens

Quote:
I almost added a Glock 20 to the mix a couple years ago, but I handload for my 10mm, and I've seen first hand what 10mm Glocks do to their brass. It's enough to make a grown man (me) cry.
C'mon now, we've discussed this specifically many dozens of times. Glock built that reputation and they deserve HELL for it, but in the real world, the pistols are good enough that it only makes good sense to point out the fact that Glock got the hint, took the message, stuffed their tails between their legs and worked on the issue.

My Glock is an MML-prefix, late summer 2008 built Glock 29 and I've run over 3,350 rounds of harsh 10mm through it and it's OEM barrel, and the only problem with 10 brass is the only problem I've ever had with 10 brass and that's the fact that I lose the wonderful stuff. I don't own any goofy push-thru die and my brass hasn't been corrupted in the slightest. I run loads with Power Pistol, Longshot and 800X and I've run Buffalo Bore through it and all the brass is absolutely good to go.

Glock barrels did many years of trashing brass, but they have grown up. We need to grow up also. There are at least a couple dozen TERRIFIC reasons to refuse to buy a Glock. That some old Glocks from the early 1990's wrecked brass is not on that list.
Old October 19, 2014, 06:46 PM   #44
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
only problem with 10 brass is the only problem I've ever had with 10 brass and that's the fact that I lose the wonderful stuff.
That's me as well. 50 rounds to shoot for either of my 10s and it's likely I'll be bringing back 30 of the cases. Brought back 42 out of 50 once, and almost did a dance.
Old October 22, 2014, 07:27 AM   #45
agtman

Quote:
I also have a new Delta Elite and favor that pistol for shooting. It is more comfortable and more accurate.
Nice pic, Hunter0924.

The Delta is beautiful. But where'd you get the Colt knife w/ Delta insignia? It's a looker too.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:18 AM   #46
DA/SA Fan

In case anyone is interested, the Grand Power that I mentioned earlier WILL be available in 10mm in the US. Eagle Imports (Bersa) will be selling them.
Old October 31, 2014, 07:59 AM   #47
smokehouse4444

"With the DA/SA versions, can you cock the hammer during the draw if you want to?" Mike Fontenot

Of course you can. That is why so many love this particular style. You can carry and use it just like a revolver. The long first trigger pull IS your safety, but every shot thereafter is SA with a short reset. You can cock the hammer if you want when drawing, or later if wanted.
Old November 1, 2014, 02:55 AM   #48
HisSoldier

My DW Razorback is probably the finest 1911 clone in my collection, I love the fully ramped barrel and wouldn't buy a 10MM without that. The RIA would be my second choice, though I don't own one yet.

I understand it has a FR barrel, and the RIA gov't .45 ACP I have is an outstanding handgun, and would be even if it cost as much as a Colt.

I'm very depressed about what passes for handgun manufacturing in the USA today, and Dan Wesson is exactly the opposite, with very high quality materials, fit and finish, so nice it seems like it should be in a museum of old school manufacturing before the onset of planned obsolescence manufacturing.
They don't build them expecting you to have to buy another one because the first one wore out.

That's really rare today.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 1, 2014, 07:19 AM   #49
agtman

Quote:
In case anyone is interested, the Grand Power that I mentioned earlier WILL be available in 10mm in the US. Eagle Imports (Bersa) will be selling them.
Thanks. Any known timeline on this?
Old November 1, 2014, 09:07 AM   #50
Mike_Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse4444
I (Mike Fontenot) wrote:

"With the DA/SA versions, can you cock the hammer during the draw if you want to?"

smokehouse replied:

"Of course you can. That is why so many love this particular style. You can carry and use it just like a revolver. The long first trigger pull IS your safety, but every shot thereafter is SA with a short reset. You can cock the hammer if you want when drawing, or later if wanted."
I got to handle one yesterday at my local gun store. Cocking with my weak thumb was easy during the draw. Cocking with my strong thumb didn't work very well (this model had a beavertail, and the wood grips), but that's OK ... weak-thumb cocking is the currently recommended procedure for cocking revolvers.

The P220 felt good to me. Didn't like the LONG SA takeup, but I understand there is a shorter-reset option. The only thing I REALLY didn't like was that the trigger pinched my finger when I pulled it, both on DA and SA.