The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2013, 08:04 AM   #1
amd6547

Range Report Beretta 1201FP Detroit Police Surplus

It was cold in Cleveland today, but the snow had melted off. So, being off work today, I snuck out to try my new shotgun at my rifle club.
This Beretta 1201FP is Detroit Police surplus, and came from Robertson Trading Post.
I had already installed the Choate PG stock i bought, before ever trying the standard stock. The standard stock was too long for me, and it just had a rubber butt plate, not a recoil pad.
I shot about 100rds. I used a few low recoil Federal FC 00 buck and Truball slugs, as well as Winchester, Remington, and S&B 00 standard velocity 00 buck. I also shot a few brenneke slugs, and some heavy birdshot.
Recoil was not bad at all, though I was wearing a GI field jacket with the button in liner installed...a T-shirt might be different.
The 1201FP worked perfectly...not a single issue whatsoever. Function was brisk, and fast.
I shot at both 25yds and at about 30ft.
I'm really happy with this shotgun...very light and quick handling. It is my goto HD gun now. I'm really impressed with the smooth action of the bolt and shell lifter.
If you are thinking about one of these, don't let the stories about horrible recoil scare you. It is a light weight 12ga (about 6.5lbs). The stock, as issued, is too long for most people, and it has a hard rubber buttplate. The Choate stock has a thick, wide recoil pad. It also is adjustable for length of pull. I left the two extension spacers off. BTW, choate does not list this stock on their website. But when I called, they still had them.
Here are a couple pics.
First, the 1201FP on the stand:

This target shows 6rds of Remington full powered 00 buck fired rapidly at 30ft (the large holes are from the shotcup/wads):

Last edited by amd6547; January 15, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old January 17, 2013, 01:39 PM   #2
bubbaturbo

I've got one of these. It seems to be a good shotgun although I always thought the loading procedure was sort of odd.
Old January 17, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

What do you think is odd about the loading procedure?

It is about the same as any other semi-automatic shotgun.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:06 PM   #4
bubbaturbo

Well, loading the magazine tube and then cycling the bolt does not load the gun. I thought in most semi auto shotguns it would but I'll admit I'm not real knowledgeable about them.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Well, loading the magazine tube and then cycling the bolt does not load the gun. I thought in most semi auto shotguns it would but I'll admit I'm not real knowledgeable about them.
Both Benelli's and Beretta's have a button you have to push if you are manually loading a round from the magazine tube.
Old January 17, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
bubbaturbo

Is that the same as other semi auto shotguns?
Old January 17, 2013, 10:55 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Not all. Some do not require that, but I'm sure others do. I would say that the majority do not require it, but it is far from uncommon.
Old January 17, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
amd6547

I like it. I can have the mag loaded, yet most people would not know to push the shell release...in fact, it is kind of hidden on the beretta.
Once you learn how the shell release works, it's great. Makes it easy to eject the chambered round and drop a slug in the chamber.
I have owned, and shot a few shotguns, both pump and semiauto...I had more fun shooting this beretta than any of them.