The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 04:58 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Going back to stopping power. One person above mention to use the heaviest solid bullet. I don't think that would be good, since the bullet would just go through the target. As for the Jacketed Hollow Point, this will expand and do more harm.
Not quite, the 50 grain bullets are generally subsonic and accurate. They have enough energy to penetrate well but not to the extent that a 40 gr high velocity bullet will.

The problem with hollow points is it is a crapshoot depending on where target is hit. Soft flesh it may open and penetrate well doing lots of damage or not open and zip right on through. Hitting a bony area it will open up right away and there you will find the bullet, chances of that bullet penetrating deeper are severely lessened.

Shooting a hard heavy bone like the front of the skull, shoulder, arms, legs and pelvis the hollow point stops there. A 40 gr bullet has a better chance of breaking through to cause deeper damage. Shoot a boogerman in the ribs you want the bullet to get past the rib into the chest cavity, not make a wide shallow wound on top of the rib cage.

Best solution is to not shoot but if you have to shoot make it count.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 14, 2013, 05:12 PM   #27
kraigwy

Quote:
What is the best ammo for stopping power

There isn't any,

Quickest way to turn me off is tell my your Band X is will stop anything in its tracks.

Go hunting, or watch some hunting shows on the Outdoor or Sportsman's Channel.

Very seldom is an animal shot and hit in the vital heart lung are and it goes down. It most always runs off a short ways, or a long ways.

And that's with a high power rifle on a 100-125 lb deer.

So how can we expect a 200 lb man to go down instantly after being shot with a pistol or revolver.

In my LE CSI days I've seen a lot of gun shot victoms and I've been to a lot of autopies. One thing I learned is you never can tell what a bullet, any bullet, large or small is going to do until it does it.

I don't recommend any calibers but I tell my students of my firearm safety and self defense classes that A little gun you can shoot beats a big gun you can't shoot every time.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 14, 2013, 10:44 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

Geltest on youtube of the 22 mag Critical Defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIfJpq90V1g

If a person has the sense and instinct to shoot an attacker several times, this round is a viable choice for the purpose stated by the OP. Probably more deadly than buckshot, on a per pellet basis.

There was a thread about stopping power in TFL a while back. Somebody posted a link to an article by a LEO that had compiled stat's from various gun fights in Chicago. The interesting thing was, all calibers had a similar "fight stopping effect", from 22 lr to 45 ACP.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:14 AM   #29
Redhawk5.5+P+

Don't you all know, he's looking for that magic bullet.
Old February 15, 2013, 04:27 AM   #30
bobbart

Well Said Kraigwy

Well Said Kraigwy, you hit it on the nose.

Thank You,
Bobbarto
Old February 15, 2013, 04:56 AM   #31
Revolver1

CCI MaxiMag!
Old February 17, 2013, 01:03 PM   #32
Obambulate

There is not only ammo to think about but also strategy:

I think it was Paco Kelly who said when he worked undercover the medical examiner told him if he was using .22 Magnum, to put the first shot in the belly. Told him that any size man will double over in excruciating pain like a hot knife in his belly. Then you can make the arrest or prepare to place a more lethal shot, if needed.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #33
IronBalls

Bobart, how about a review?
I'm thinking of a lcr 22wmr for the fun factor, all that's holding me back is the thought of the noise.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:19 PM   #34
SIGSHR

There IS such a thing as stopping power, the problem is we haven't been able to define it or quantify it.
Old April 2, 2013, 08:47 PM   #35
eldermike

There are hand guns with stopping power but most people can't shoot them well. A deer is a tough animal and I have dropped them on their feet, not a single step taken after trigger pull, with a 44 mag. Total destruction of both lungs and heart will stop anything instantly.

IMHO
A 22 rim fire will not stop a man with a body hit. Head shot is the only hope.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:58 PM   #36
BDL

22 for defense

A guy that worked for me once upon a time tells an interesting story. His mama was a pretty mean woman, ran a "shot" house. her boyfriend got her a little peeved so she pulled her .22 derringer and popped him between the eyes just above the bridge of his nose. Bullet glanced off but did leave a mark. he wore a band-aid for a few days! True story, I swear!
Old April 5, 2013, 06:31 AM   #37
Chesster

In a 22M, The best will be whatever you have that goes bang and you can shoot accurately. I prefer a 40gr HP in my .22 mags.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 5, 2013, 08:05 AM   #38
rprouty

Just bought two LCR 22 Mags ($410.00 each) with Crimson Trace Lasers ($240.00 each) and a couple hundred rounds of Hornady Critical Defense ($12.60 for 50). Going out this weekend and try them out.

A lot of these were shot with an 800mm

www.pbase.com/rprouty/land
Old April 5, 2013, 01:15 PM   #39
rrruger

Quote:
There is not only ammo to think about but also strategy:
What strategy can you expect when you are accosted at night by an assailant intent on taking your purse, car or your life? When your attacker is at arms length you won't have time to consider shot placement. At this point your best hope for is to react as quickly as you can. Fire six shots and pray...and a .22lr just ain't going to get the job done (IMHO).
If you are serious about self defense you might want to consider something else. I would not trust a .22 to protect me from a large dog attack, much less a large Meth-head. Just my two cents.