The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 23, 2015, 04:05 PM   #1
sig220mwxxxx

Ruger handgun caliber carbines

In the past Ruger had 2 or 3 models of centerfire handgun caliber semi auto carbines. I believe they disappeard from their inventory 8 or 10 years ago. Do any of you out there remember what the models were and do any of you have one? If so what do you think of them?
Old January 23, 2015, 06:17 PM   #2
9x19

44 Carbine - .44 Mag

PC9 - 9mm

P40 - .40 S&W

99/44 - .44 Mag

At one time I owned all four. The 99/44 is the best of the bunch, IMO,

The PC9/40 were reliable and durable, but their trigger design did not allow tuning, and most were heavy. Bot use magazines from Ruger's P-series pistols, which have all been discontinued.

The first .44 had a tube magazine inside the stock, worked fine but scope mounting could be a challenge

The 99/44 Deerfield used a rotary mags, and that limited OAL which limited bullet weight, but it had a tunable trigger, and easy scope mounting.

You can find production history in the link below, and if you click on the model at the left, there will be a link for the factory manual (pdf).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...pspz37scs6.jpg
Old January 23, 2015, 07:24 PM   #3
lokidansk

I have the PC4
It's a totaly awsome carbine, I want the PC9 now because
I have P94s in both 9mm and S&W 40. They have become a bit hard to find at a reasonable price though. As stated above they are quite heavy but do carry well. Once you use it for a while, you dont even have to aim it at your target. Just point it in the direction of your target and a hole appears in it!
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old January 25, 2015, 10:54 PM   #4
bamaranger

there was a lever too!

The original pistol caliber Ruger was the .44 carbine, semi auto, tube feed (4+1) model, discontinued in maybe the mid 80"s?

They followed the original .44 carbine with a redo, and numbered it the 99/44. Magazine fed, (4+1) and to some extent, used an action and trigger group similar to the Mini's and loosely resembled same. There was also a lever version of the "2nd generation" .44, numbered the 96/44. The lever 96's also came in .22/.22Mag, and maybe 17HMR.

They also had the PC series, which I always thought of as "politically correct". They seemed aimed at PD's that would/could not adopt a carbine in .223/5.56. As noted, they took the "P series" pistol mags.

Me, I've got two early tube feed .44's. One scoped, the other with a set of XS peep sights. They are handy, reliable carbines, but not particularly accurate, due to a rather slow 1-38" twist. By accurate I mean group size approaching 4-6 MOA with std 240 grain slugs. Others report better with the old Rugers, but mine will not shoot 240's, (or heavier) worth a hoot. That is about half the twist rate of revolvers similarly chambered, including Rugers own .44's. Off bags, I could sometimes outshoot myself with a 6"- M29 v. the carbines...when I had young eyes. But under 100 yds, they work well for minute of whitetail. Dropping to a 200 gr slug helped improve groups, 180's too, but I really don't care for the lighter bullets on game. The whole advantage of a .44 carbine seems hinged on heavy slugs.

I have been in the market for a 99/44 for some time, but cannot find one at a fair price.
Old January 28, 2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Mobuck

I have PC9 as a "companion" carbine for the P89/P95 handguns. Definitely puts the 9mm in a whole different level. 147 grain GoldDot ammo is sufficiently accurate and powerful enough to make 100 yards a real danger zone. In an environment where 100-150 yards is your outside distance, this carbine would be a top notch home defense choice. I have no doubt it would kill deer under 100 yards although there are many far better choices.
Old January 29, 2015, 01:08 AM   #6
bamaranger

numbers

Hey there Mobuck.

What is it exactly about your 9mm carbine that "puts it at a whole new level"?

Your ability to shoot the carbine better than a handgun, or an increase in velocity and energy?

Most of the auto pistol calibers numbers I have seen do not indicate much of an increase in punch from pistol to carbine barrels.

The 10mm, .357, and .44 mags are the exceptions.....more powder to burn I suspect and can utilize the longer tube.

Not looking for an arguement....friendly inquiry. You have any chrono numbers and with what ammo?
Old January 29, 2015, 07:39 PM   #7
mxsailor803

I've got the Deerfield 99/44 and love it. If you can find one, be prepared to spend quite a bit. These things don't come up for sale very often. The biggest problems with them are you can't use cast lead bullets and it needs full power loads. Outside of that, great little woods rifle.
Old January 30, 2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Mobuck

hat is it exactly about your 9mm carbine that "puts it at a whole new level"?

I was pointing out that the 16" barrel gives the 147 grain bullet the performance it needs to make it a 100 yard cartridge.
I've found the 147 grain disappointing from 4-5" handguns but significantly better from the 16" carbine.
Old February 2, 2015, 01:11 AM   #9
bamaranger

ok

Understand. I have run .357 and .44 mags through a chrono and agree a longer tube can help.

Do not have any 9mm/.40/.45 auto carbines to compare,and what little I have seen printed is not very hot. I agree the the heavier 147 may benefit most, not sure why? You ever get any numbers let me know.
Old February 3, 2015, 04:33 AM   #10
chris in va

Just for informational purposes, standard 124gr FMJ runs 1300fps out of my CX4. Haven't tried 147gr yet.
Old February 3, 2015, 05:31 AM   #11
Sparks1957

I bought a PC9 about 3-4 years ago on Gunbroker, figuring that if I wanted one I had better get it, as prices were going up and they are always hard to find.
Mine was about 95%, but clearly had never been cleaned while seeing some use.

It is a fun little carbine. Not sure that it is a 100-yard gun with any load, however. You gain a couple hundred fps from the 16 inch barrel, nothing more.
Nice for a home defense gun.

I won't be selling mine.
Old February 3, 2015, 08:06 AM   #12
rkittine

I have the original Ruger .44 Mag Carbine. With the tube feed not only can you not shoot cast bullets because of gas port fouling, but only flat nose / HP projectiles so they don't cause a firing of one in the tube magazine. Always loved these as a brush gun and a One Ammo companion to my Model 29 S&W. My only worry is that parts are no longer being made and hard to find if anything breaks.

Bob