The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2004, 09:32 PM   #1
David1958

M29 Problem

I have found that when cocking the hammer back on the M29 for SA shooting 4 of the chambers slide into place like glass. The 5th one is slightly harder to cock into position and the 6th is almost impossible as if something is hanging it up. 5 and 6 will go into postion and fire upon trigger pull, but this is not right by any stretch. I just recently got the gun used and this was the first time @ the range with it. I have oiled it and tried to work it in by cycling the SA mode and rotating the cylinder. It seems to have improved some but the problem is still there intermittantly especially on #6. I haven't been able to ask the seller if the gun sat unused and unoiled for a long time or if it may have been caused by somthing else. I will continue to try to find that out. Any thoughts on what it might be and does it need to go to a gunsmith? Thanks.
Old October 29, 2004, 10:42 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Look at your star extractor. Are the tabs that are engaged by the hand uniform? If they aren't, that's the cause and it needs to be refitted with a new extractor.

Alternatively, if the extractor is OK, it could be the yoke is bent and thereby causing the cylinder to bind on #5 and #6.

Off topic - I love your city and have been there twice. 2nd time was to see the Daughters of the Confederacy Museum and the Hunley. Even got to Seccessionville where my car was attacked by a Rebel Dog. He ran smacked dabbed into the fender, bounced off and walked away. I was shocked that a dog would do that. The Charleston Museum is excellent and they have some outstanding firearms there. Even found the Washington Light Infantry when I was there (but they never responded to my inquiry for information).

I wish I had time to sit and read in your library and your County Historical Society.
Old October 30, 2004, 05:22 AM   #3
David1958

M29

Thanks for the info. Looks like the star might be worn. I'll check it out. Charleston is a cool place. Moved here 8+ years ago. More crowded now, but still an improvement over MA. IMHO! Is the yoke an external, easily replaced part or one for a smith? If that turns out to be the case.
Old October 30, 2004, 06:50 PM   #4
Marvin Gardens

Check the piece for endshake. S&W cylinders are not always square on the face and excessive endshake can cause the binding on one or two or three chambers. Does the measurement at the cylinder gap differ from those that move freely? Does the problem inmprove or go away when you put hand pressure on the cyclinder, pushing it rearward?

Regards

Marvin
Old November 1, 2004, 10:04 PM   #5
PzB41

Likely the yoke/crane is bent. If someone hollywood's the cylinder shut (slams it), it could bend the crane. On a revolver the size of a 29, it could easily happen. If the yoke/crane is bent, the cylinder is turning out of round, causing it to bind on 5 and 6. Good news is that it can be corrected without replacing the crane, but the smithy needs a gauge to check it and needs to know what he's doing to correct it.

Check out Kuhnhausen's book on S&W's. He covers the problem and how to correct it.

Pz

Current favorites in the safe: Pre-64 M70 in .300 WinMag, Steyr SSG69, H&K 93A4 and 91, M21, H&K USP (C), Colt 1911A1 & Anaconda, S&W M57.

Disabled Veteran (10 Years Active, US Army)
NRA Life Member
Graduate CST, Denver, CO.
Precision Rifle Instructor
Professional Gunsmith/Riflemaker
Student of Engineering