The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 17, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Gen 2 Glock 19 Review

Lots of Glockers out there consider the Gen 2 Glock 19 to be the "perfect Glock" and I would have a hard time arguing that point. In the last few years, these Gen2 guns have been flooding the surplus market as departments upgrade their guns to the newer Gen4 models. The good news for the public is that while most of these guns were carried a lot and show some wear, many were shot very little over their lifetime and have plenty of life left in them.

Pros:
-Reliable. The gun has had 0 malfunctions
-Accurate (more accurate than I am)
-Durable. There are many, many of these guns with documented round counts over 25k that have only had simple spring replacements in that time
-Easy to maintain
-TONS of aftermarket support
-Accepts 15, 17, and 33 round factory magazines
-Small and light enough for most to carry but holds 15+1
-Glock's customer service is second to none
-Durable finish
-Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
-Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
-Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
-Many people prefer the Gen2 grip without the finger grooves present on the Gen3/4 guns
-Many of the worries about brass to the face are assuaged since these models were never known to happen with the older guns.

Cons:
-I'm not a fan of the Glock factory plastic sights
-Comes with a serrated trigger due to import rules (easy swap)-I prefer the Gen3/4 finish to the Gen2 finish
-When I first inspected the gun, I noticed the slide stop lever had almost no spring tension and replaced it. What I'm getting at there is that you'll certainly want to inspect the guns because some departments out there do very little armoror work (if any at all) on their guns.

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line, break down the gun, do a size comparison, go over the "6 part upgrade," and do a chronograph test with some popular carry/defensive loads:

Gen2 G19 HD Video Review Link

Chrono numbers:

Federal 124gr HST: 1132fps, 353 ft/lbs energy
Speer 124gr Gold Dot: 1145fps, 361 ft/lbs energy
Old December 17, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2
Officer's Match

Congrats on a superb handgun. Possibly the most versatile ever. Could be just me, but I really think these have less "glock hump" as well.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Billy Shears

That was a very well done and informative video. Right up there with Hickok45's material and, to me at least, easier to watch than Nutnfancy's offerings.

If I may...one minor comment.

I realize your camera is probably on a tripod and no humans are standing in front of you while you are filming, but everytime you swing that muzzle in "my" direction I just cringe.

I dislike it when folks do that on the range where I work and I dislike it when Youtube reviewers do it, even though I realize there is no danger to me from your doing it. I know it's not a safety issue when you are alone with your camera, but again, for me at least, it's difficult to focus on your message while I'm staring down your muzzle.

Thanks again for an informative video and keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more vids soon.
Old December 17, 2012, 08:06 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Do you notice any more consistent and positive ejection than with newer Glock models?
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 18, 2012, 09:26 AM   #5
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
That was a very well done and informative video. Right up there with Hickok45's material and, to me at least, easier to watch than Nutnfancy's offerings.

If I may...one minor comment.

I realize your camera is probably on a tripod and no humans are standing in front of you while you are filming, but everytime you swing that muzzle in "my" direction I just cringe.
Thank you. I get a lot of feedback on this; a lot of guys like it but about 10-20% seem to view it the way you do. So I guess it's a toss up...

Quote:
Do you notice any more consistent and positive ejection than with newer Glock models?
On the whole, no. I did have a Gen4 19 that was sent back to Glock 3x and eventually replaced due to BTF issues. The replacement has been solid though. I also have a G34, 17, and 26 made since '10 that have no issues. The bad guns are out there but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule in my experience.