The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1
RRlocoENGR

Winchester Model 12 / 16 gauge

I have a 1927 Model 12 Winchester 16 gauge shotgun and have a question about loading the magazine.

When I push shells into the magazine, they do not stay flush in the tube like my later model Remington pumps, rather the shells come back out and are held in place below the carrier.

My action cycles perfectly, it just seems awkward that the cartridge cutoff only holds the shells flush in the magazine as you rack a round into the chamber.

If you have a loaded gun and push the carrier in, the loaded magazine begins unloading in your hand, several at a time in some instances.

Is this just the design? Like I said, all my Remington pumps have a catch in the receiver to hold the shells flush in the tube.

Thanks for any help.
Old February 3, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
jrothWA

Locate the parts drawing and give it a deetailing,

sounds like the receiver is "crudded" up and the cartridge stops are freely moving.

So to www.shotgunworld.com there should be take-down procedures and a Winchester forum.

Just a good cleaning and lube should help.
Old February 3, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
jaguarxk120

Your gun is working OK. When the action is cycled the carrier moved down a bit and allows the shell to slide into it.
The shell stop prevents any other shells feeding. When the action is closed the carrier comes down and the shell stop lets the next shell to press against the carrier.

All this action together with the spring loaded forearm makes the action seem as if it is self opening when the gun is fired. Makes for a very smooth operating pump gun, too bad it takes so much machining and hand fitting to make a Model 12 today.

Many of the gun manufactures of today have worked around the M12 design with cookie cutter guns of today, they just don't equal the greatness of the M12.
Old February 3, 2012, 11:02 PM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

It's normal... Don't worry about...